Just switched phones (Old bold died) restored new one from a backup but all my BBM contacts show as unreachable (big red X through them all) how do I fix this withough re adding them all...everything else is working email, sms,FB, ETC
    07-09-09 08:02 AM
    Did your PIN change?
    07-09-09 08:35 AM
    yes I now have a different pin I have an option to send a pin update but it isnt working
    07-09-09 08:57 AM
    I'm no BBM expert, but it could be the reason.
    07-09-09 08:59 AM
    I've switched my Bold once and when I reloaded all of my contacts, etc, it pushed my new PIN to my contacts and it updated seamlessly. I think it works when you use "Device Switch," as opposed to backup and restoring.

Try that out if possible.
    07-09-09 09:17 AM
    I cant use device switch as the original phone is dead...I om=nly have backup files to rely on...
    07-09-09 10:54 AM
    Just did the device switch with the Desktop Manager. All went well but couldn't get emails. Rogers tech had me log onto my account at rogers.com/bis and switch the PIN. Hope this helps.
    Marv
    07-09-09 11:03 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys I have started to re-enter individually
    07-09-09 11:15 AM
    BBM shouldn't be affected. As another poster above mentioned, the BBM app does a really good job integrating your new pin with your contacts (on bbm only, not in the address book)

For all BIS related stuff however, you do need to log into your account. If you do it from the device, the site picks up the change automatically and asks if you want to change the pin. Atleast, this was my experience all 3 times i switched devices.
    07-09-09 11:18 AM
    This is what you do.

Take the sim card out of the phone. Restore the the backup file once again. Now you can put the sim card back in. Allow the phone to get to the homescreen.

Now you need to login to BIS and change your device so that it can push the new pin automatically to your contacts. As a matter of fact when you login to BIS it should already recognize that you have switched devices and will prompt you to change the PIN.

Now send service books. This is what I do each and every time I switch between my 8900 and Bold. My BBM contacts never know that I've switched devices.

You cannot put in your sim card and then restore. Otherwise there is no pin update to push. Restore and then put in the sim card, allow the phone to get to the phone screen and now change devices on BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 11:38 AM
    Hey Forever, just wondering, how does the SIM affect the restore? The reason I ask is, there's nothing BB specific that's on the SIM other than your carrier-specific details (data plan/phone # etc) so restoring the device should not be affected i would assume. I thought the PIN update is initiated by the BB device.
    07-09-09 11:44 AM
    thats the problem I never logged in from the phone... Only on the PC
    07-09-09 12:03 PM
    Hey Forever, just wondering, how does the SIM affect the restore? The reason I ask is, there's nothing BB specific that's on the SIM other than your carrier-specific details (data plan/phone # etc) so restoring the device should not be affected i would assume. I thought the PIN update is initiated by the BB device.
    It is initiated by the device yes. But the device needs to recognize first that
    a sim card has been inserted to it again. So let it load until the homescreen,
    and then login to BIS and as soon as you login it'll prompt you to switch from
    X pin to Y pin. You simply click "yes"

thats the problem I never logged in from the phone... Only on the PC
    I log in from the PC. Doesn't matter from which.
    07-09-09 01:21 PM
    It is initiated by the device yes. But the device needs to recognize first that
    a sim card has been inserted to it again. So let it load until the homescreen,
    and then login to BIS and as soon as you login it'll prompt you to switch from
    X pin to Y pin. You simply click "yes"

I log in from the PC. Doesn't matter from which.
    Right, but the SIM will only get the phone onto the network correct? I don't see how the restore would be affected by the SIM being inserted PRIOR to the restore as opposed to after.

The reason I ask this is, I did my swaps by first putting the SIM in and it worked fine. Just had to log into the BIS server, change the pin, resend service books and voila...so is my Bold missing something? :$
    07-09-09 05:36 PM
    Right, but the SIM will only get the phone onto the network correct? I don't see how the restore would be affected by the SIM being inserted PRIOR to the restore as opposed to after.

The reason I ask this is, I did my swaps by first putting the SIM in and it worked fine. Just had to log into the BIS server, change the pin, resend service books and voila...so is my Bold missing something? :$
    The other day I switched devices and did what you just mentioned. Well I
    was able to BBM people and on my end the messages would show as delivered.
    Well people weren't actually receiving the messages. So I had to manually
    re-add everyone.

So after that I kept thinking what I did different than before. And all I could
    think of is that I put in the sim first, then did the restore. And I remembered
    that when I logged on to BIS I didn't get that auto-prompt that BIS recognized
    that I switched devices.

So I just use the method that I described for caution I guess.
    07-09-09 05:43 PM
    Ah okay. So one of those "every bold is slightly different" situations i assume.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a service... although everything is working fine. I only have one BBM contact who always gets red-x'd but she's on a Storm with a crappy provider (Telus :P)...
    07-09-09 05:47 PM
    Ah okay. So one of those "every bold is slightly different" situations i assume.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a service... although everything is working fine. I only have one BBM contact who always gets red-x'd but she's on a Storm with a crappy provider (Telus :P)...
    Well I switch between a Javelin and Bold but the same rules apply (for me at
    least). As long as your method works good for you then just stick with that.

Remember that at the moment that a PIN update is pushed and a contact is
    out of reach, they'll remain with a red X on them until you highlight them and
    select "Send PIN update now"

Or, just message them.
    07-09-09 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD