Hi Guys,

I'm currently own BB Bold from AT&T with the monthly data plan. I have plan to go back home (Indonesia) for the summer, and I would love to stay connected with my emails and internet while I am on holiday. How do I setup my Bold to work with the Indonesian's provider data plan? Do I need to call AT&T to release my PIN and IMEI before activating the data plan with the Indonesian's provider? I"m totaly new to the BB world, I know other phones like nokia will work right away without doing anything. What about BB's though?

Thanks
    05-27-09 05:15 AM
    Yeah, you'll have to get the phone unlocked. AT&T's usually pretty good about providing free unlock codes, especially if you give them a good reason and/or call afterhours.

If they absolutely refuse to play ball even after trying multiple customer service agents, search the forums for compannies that provide cheap unlocking services. Once your phone is unlocked you'll be able to swap SIM cards from different carriers.
    05-27-09 05:19 AM
    Yeah, you'll have to get the phone unlocked. AT&T's usually pretty good about providing free unlock codes, especially if you give them a good reason and/or call afterhours.

If they absolutely refuse to play ball even after trying multiple customer service agents, search the forums for compannies that provide cheap unlocking services. Once your phone is unlocked you'll be able to swap SIM cards from different carriers.
    Its not about the unlock code, I did call AT&T for an unlock code and the phone is already unlocked.

What I am asking is how to make my bold work with the Indonesian's provider data plan? Do I need to release my PIN & IMEI?
    05-27-09 05:25 AM
    Oh, sorry. I didn't read carefully enough. I'm pretty sure you can just take one SIM card out and throw a new one in... anyone want to confirm/correct me?
    05-27-09 05:29 AM
    does att have service where you are going? since the bold is a world phone they may
    05-27-09 06:35 AM
    Since the phone is unlocked, when you pick up a local Sim card in Indonesia it will work with whatever carrier it is from. That's the idea. You don't reregister with another service provider. If you want to use AT&T, keep the SIM card you have and sign up for international service plan. Is expensive though. The Sim card swap is the way to go.
    05-27-09 11:15 AM
    my point is not to use the AT&T card while im there. I dont want to pay the roaming charges. but can the phone's pin be registered with two provider at once for the data plan?

I would say similarly if someone would sell their phone to another person with different provider. the seller would have to release the PIN for the the buyer so that he can register with the other provider. Just like how a cable modem works..
    05-27-09 05:06 PM
    I understand what radenasu is asking because I too am in the exact same situation, except I'll be heading back to the Caribbean (Trinidad) for the summer.
    What I believe he is asking is how can one use the BIS on their local carrier. I have my ATT Bold, and I have BIS provided by ATT. When I go home, I would be switching to my local carrier's sim card (bmobile) and would therefore like to have BIS services provided by bmobile. The phone is unlocked, so there is no doubt that it would work for calls and text messages for the non ATT sim card. That is not the issue. I (and radenasu, if i'm not mistaken) would like to continue to get our emails pushed, our BBM's to work and our Facebook's to notify us (well that's my concerns at least, email the most important) and not pay ridiculous roaming fees. If i was going for one week, I would consider it, not 3 months.
    So, my plan is as follows: Call AT&T, cancel my BIS service and kindly ask them to release my pin because I would be out of the country for a while and I would like my local carrier to pick it up. Then, call my local carrier (bmobile), activate the BB Data Plan and BIS, and hope/pray that they could now pick up my PIN. When returning to the US in September, reverse the process.

It sounds like a pain but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the Bold is my first BB experience and I totally love it, and one of the main reasons I got it is to stay connected with all my services no matter where I go.

Sorry for the long post guys, but any insight/experience into this plan/situation would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    05-28-09 12:02 AM
    Comments anybody?
    05-28-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD