Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here for a long time but as this is my first post I'll try to not to be too annoying!

I've had my Bold since mid-November and typically got about 2 days out of the battery. In the last few weeks, battery performance dropped to the point where I was getting about 5 hours between charges and if I tried leaving it on over night the battery would go completely dead. I thought it might be a case of the battery having had too many charges so I went ahead and ordered another but the problem is still persisting.

No applications have been added recently and I've been using the phone just as much as I always have. Using DM I've removed all the applications I thought I could do without so the phone's down to its bare bones and is still working through this brand new battery in about 6 hours. I even wiped it and reinstalled the OS and the problem is still there. It gets very hot during calls and is always quite warm towards the top of the handset at the front.

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
    07-31-09 03:17 PM
    What os are you using? You might want to upgrade to .282.
    07-31-09 03:24 PM
    I'm running .282 at the moment.
    07-31-09 03:26 PM
    Oh! My battery life sucked, until I got .282. Now it's great.
    Sorry I don't know what else would cause it.
    07-31-09 03:36 PM
    Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here for a long time but as this is my first post I'll try to not to be too annoying!

I've had my Bold since mid-November and typically got about 2 days out of the battery. In the last few weeks, battery performance dropped to the point where I was getting about 5 hours between charges and if I tried leaving it on over night the battery would go completely dead. I thought it might be a case of the battery having had too many charges so I went ahead and ordered another but the problem is still persisting.

No applications have been added recently and I've been using the phone just as much as I always have. Using DM I've removed all the applications I thought I could do without so the phone's down to its bare bones and is still working through this brand new battery in about 6 hours. I even wiped it and reinstalled the OS and the problem is still there. It gets very hot during calls and is always quite warm towards the top of the handset at the front.

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Its funny that you posted this, I have been having the exact same problem for about 5 days now. My batter would go from 100% to 20% in a matter of 4-5 hours. I tried all the steps you did including disabling wifi and bluetooth. Im beginning to think it might be the battery, I was thinking of picking up a new one this weekend to try.
    07-31-09 03:41 PM
    OP, if you've changed the battery out and reinstalled the OS, it seems like a phone issue itself. You are making sure to close all open applications, right?
    07-31-09 03:47 PM
    Its funny that you posted this, I have been having the exact same problem for about 5 days now. My batter would go from 100% to 20% in a matter of 4-5 hours. I tried all the steps you did including disabling wifi and bluetooth. Im beginning to think it might be the battery, I was thinking of picking up a new one this weekend to try.
    I hope you have better luck with a replacement battery than I did!

OP, if you've changed the battery out and reinstalled the OS, it seems like a phone issue itself. You are making sure to close all open applications, right?
    I think I am... but just to make sure, how would I ensure that they're all closed? If I go to the Switch Application screen, the only things listed are Messages, BBM, Home, Phone and Browser but they're all there by default, right? Very annoyed that I poked a hole in the warranty sticker thing over one of the screws on the back of the phone... Although it's obvious I haven't unscrewed anything, I hope that in itself isn't enough to void my warranty. Stupid move if it is.
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 07-31-09 at 04:05 PM.
    07-31-09 04:02 PM
    I'm running .282 at the moment.
    do you have wifi on? .282 drained my battery really quickly when i constantly had wifi on.
    07-31-09 07:23 PM
    My battery life has gone downhill with .282 (I'm using the Vodaphone version)... with or without wifi on. Did your battery issue start after you installed the new OS? Maybe the OS is affecting some people's phones and not others.
    07-31-09 11:03 PM
    I had a six hour battery life with light phone and data use on Bold. ATT replaced the phone and still had same problem. I returned it after 3 weeks and got an 8900. No battery problems at all. The Bold sucked, it does not fit well in your hand for texting, and the idea of having to constantly close apps on Bold to try to improve battery life is moronic. Anyone who raves about a bold is probably lying.
    07-31-09 11:57 PM
    This morning I unplugged my phone at 8am...by lunchtime I had 20% left. I'm also running .282, I did about 3 consecutive battery pulls and just left it to charge and now its fine!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 01:10 AM
    I'm using the new firmware as well and my batterly life is atrocious. The only thing I have running is BeWeather. Everything else is the blackberry apps that i can't close no matter what I do. I have disabled WIFI, and I have also turned off my Bluetooth.

Next step is to turn off my 3g and see how long my battery lasts. I've heard how the blackberry is supposed to have great battery life, but I am not getting that at all!
    08-01-09 02:14 AM
    My battery life has gone downhill with .282 (I'm using the Vodaphone version)... with or without wifi on. Did your battery issue start after you installed the new OS? Maybe the OS is affecting some people's phones and not others.
    Unfortunately it started before the OS installation, I had hoped .282 would help.

I had a six hour battery life with light phone and data use on Bold. ATT replaced the phone and still had same problem. I returned it after 3 weeks and got an 8900. No battery problems at all. The Bold sucked, it does not fit well in your hand for texting, and the idea of having to constantly close apps on Bold to try to improve battery life is moronic. Anyone who raves about a bold is probably lying.
    Well, it fits well in my hand. I agree that closing applications isn't really a solution as much as sidestepping the problem but until two weeks ago I would have been raving about the Bold and still will when I fix this problem.

I messed with it a lot last night and it seems to be doing a lot better since I turned wifi off again... But I don't see why I should have to do that on a phone that isn't even a year old. Apparently a lot of people have problems with my carrier when it comes to BB repairs so I'm going to stick with it for now.
    08-01-09 05:56 AM
    did u drop ur battery..??cuz by dropping it can damage the battery cells inside which will lead to a leaked battre...
    08-01-09 06:50 AM
    Has there been ANY changes in Location, construction, or even new electronic equipment installed near you linger areas, work, hang out ,dining etc? If so, it's possible that the phone keeps searching for a better(? 2g or wifi although you turned off wiFi) connection or there is constant interference with the existing signal..Try weekends when your habits would be different than on the weekdays and check your battery usage.That would be my starting point..One more easy fix..It's possible that the battery terminals and contacts on the phone could be dirty, this is normal corrosion out of our control..WE CAN CLEAN THEM for test purposes by using a pencil eraser and rubbing all contacts on the battery and the phone..Wipe off any remaining residue afterwards with a lens cleaning micro fiber cloth or similar products...Good Luck..Low Life STINKS! They are always pretty cheap anyway, I say all phones should come with large capacity batteries, PERIOD!
    08-01-09 07:15 AM
    Exactly what you describe, draining fast and warm phone happened to me recently for a week. As it turns out is was my settings on my Berryweather app.
    After I adjusted the settings, things went back to normal.
    You said that you removed the apps you can do without...
    Don't stop there, keep troubleshooting via the apps, delete all if you must.
    Then add them back one by one
    08-01-09 07:36 AM
    also try
    options
    advanced
    gps
    gps services- off
    08-01-09 07:38 AM
    also try
    options
    advanced
    gps
    gps services- off
    This worked for me. I have 75% left since about 8 hours ago, when before it would be down to almost dead!
    08-01-09 05:48 PM
    Very weird....same with me too! Hope there wasn't a pushed spyware update from AT&T.... :P
    08-01-09 06:16 PM
    I'm totally shocked that anyone gets more than a day out of their BB! The issue sounds OS related, if not, then you're probably looking at a bad cell in the battery. I really can't think of anything else.
    08-01-09 06:59 PM
    I am sitting at 60% right now as of 6pm with moderate usage through the day. I figure it will easily last 1 day, but I've never had a phone last 2 days before! Ever.

I'm using the vodafone .282, I didn't benefit from the huge memory increase like so many others did, but I did notice a big time drop in overall Lag.
    08-01-09 08:25 PM
    I have had a phone that has lasted over 2 days, but not with the blackberry os. But now my battery is real good now that I turned off location services.

08-01-09 08:29 PM
    My initial reaction is to suggest you backup data, wipe completely and reload the .282 OS, probably the Rogers release unless you need the EastAsia for supported languages. Restore only the data for the standard factory applications and test for a few days before you start adding back the third party applications. Chances are that somerhing got an "upgrade" pushed out with free bugs.

If a vanilla install is also poor on battery you're probably looking at a hardware problem.

08-01-09 08:37 PM
    My initial reaction is to suggest you backup data, wipe completely and reload the .282 OS, probably the Rogers release unless you need the EastAsia for supported languages. Restore only the data for the standard factory applications and test for a few days before you start adding back the third party applications. Chances are that somerhing got an "upgrade" pushed out with free bugs.

If a vanilla install is also poor on battery you're probably looking at a hardware problem.

Thanks for the input. I've been pleasantly surprised by how helpful everyone's been. Unfortunately, I'd already tried what you advised with no improvement. You're with O2 like me... do you know what the procedure would be for resolving a hardware problem? I think the device is well within its warranty.
    08-05-09 10:48 AM
    This should be as simple as a call to Customer Service or Tech Support. Exactly who you call - see your recent invoices, the number is usually on there. It might be O2 direct, or if your phone came through a reseller you might have to contact them.

If you're a pure retail end user and the phone came from one of the high street stores you could try a walk-in but they probably won't have a phone to hand for warranty exchange/replacement and you'll get referred to the phone support anyway.

If you get a replacement you need to send it with an O2 supported OS, or they might try billing you for replacement. Current OS is downloadable from
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...B73B97E1AAA491
    9000jAllLang_PBr4.6.0_rel451_PL4.0.0.223_A4.6.0.26 6_O2_UK.exe so it's .266 - they won't care if it comes up with any .266. Otherwise you could agree with them that you WIPE the phone totally to remove sensitive data.

One other point - some O2 contracts have "new phone at 12 months" or at mid-contract as part of the deal. If you're coming close to that entitlement you may be able to bring it forward rather than accept a refurbished warranty exchange unit which will probably push out your new phone date anyway. Check with your account rep when you're on the phone. (And remember there may be loyalty bonuses coming if you get the refurb now and decide not to take the new phone when it is due at 12 months, so you might have to think fast. My experience is they only tell you about the bonuses if you ask.)
    08-05-09 05:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD