I haven't had stuttering on my device yet. But then again, I upgraded to .600 right after I got it and then to .650 when the multilanguage was released. End of line is that my phone is stutter-free, and I'm happy.
    09-13-11 08:05 AM
    I am. Onn .650 and itts workinng liike. A dream for mee so. Far
    09-13-11 09:53 AM
    Well, since NONE of you had the guts to put your discovery to test, I'm running .600 again.

I'll be back on .650 tomorrow.
    09-13-11 07:07 PM
    It is working so far for me as well. I have not upgraded OS for a while so I cannot comment if the fix has been available for a while or not but 6.0.0.650 fixed it for me. I was ready to start looking for another phone but now I don't have to. Plus I avoided the need to open the BB.

Oleg

PS I typed this on my BB which did not stutter once

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-14-11 07:29 AM
    Yes! It seems that I don't have to be scared of buying a 9780 anymore.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept the stutter fix in .650?

Maybe .650 fix did not work for them because they already dismantled their 9780 and tampered with it to make it actually worse.

Just my thoughts..
    09-14-11 08:33 AM
    Your quality trolling is entertaining. I like your determined and stubborn style.

Now I'm gonna get me some of this stutter free .650 goodness. There is enough positive in this thread for me to be convinced. It is also rather obvious to us devs how a software fix could be applied to this issue - as so well described in other posts above.
    A misaligned membrane cannot be fixed by a new OS and if you are a developer you should know it dickie
    09-14-11 01:53 PM
    A misaligned membrane cannot be fixed by a new OS and if you are a developer you should know it dickie
    Can we drop the name calling?

Let's keep it civil, ok people?
    09-14-11 02:31 PM
    For all of you saying .650 is the cure:

Rollback to .446 or any .3xx and use your device as usual for 24 hours then go and update back to .650 and give it another 24 hours. Post back your findings.

This is called testing. I'll just assume everybody speaks the truth when findings start coming after 48 hours. If the theory is sound, yuo'll have 24 hours of stutter followed by 24 hours of stutter-free typing.

PS: My stutter stopped weeks prior the update to .650, it could have been all it needed was a little wear.
    I just didn't have the energy to do this, but due to an unrelated BES change at work I was forced to wipe my 9780, so just for you I put .600 on. Immediate stutter. I didn't want to wait 48 hours, so I wiped the 9780 again and put .650 back. No stutter.

At least my theory is verified. You'll have to test your own theory yourself, as this was already way more work than I wanted to do!

.650. Just do it.
    09-14-11 02:46 PM
    Thus far the vast majority posting here apparently don't have a misaligned membrane, as .650 immediately fixes their stuttering. So you're preaching to a choir of one (yourself): the rest of us audience still have to listen to you, unfortunately. Wish the mods could do something ....

Batter Pudding: so did you get some stutter-free love from .650 in the end?
    09-14-11 02:47 PM
    It's okay duckie, I am happy to see that you don't want a software fix for your double typing keypad. The explanations above are perfect for explaining WHY this works. Just think for two seconds as to what they are saying and you will realise that yes - hardware errors can be worked around using a software fix. It is a common practice as it is cheaper to do than recall all the hardware and repair it. Should I point at some historic Intel processors that have been fixed this way? This is one of the advantages of having firmware in devices. I'm guessing you are a high level programmer, not a low level one?

Can we drop the name calling?

Let's keep it civil, ok people?
    No worries - "dickie" isn't abusive name calling. I assumed he was guessing my name. Nope - I am not a Richard. This is friendly, civilised name calling. Imperor_69 is just misguided, not nasty.

Thus far the vast majority posting here apparently don't have a misaligned membrane, as .650 immediately fixes their stuttering. So you're preaching to a choir of one (yourself): the rest of us audience still have to listen to you, unfortunately. Wish the mods could do something ....
    Noooo... the man is entertaining. Civilised abuse from an "unbeliever". Us "heretics" can but try to bring him back to the path of the righteous ...

But Imperor_69 may be right. Maybe this is a group hallucination.

Batter Pudding: so did you get some stutter-free love from .650 in the end?
    Life has got in the way, so not had the time yet. Too many daft clients wanting their stuff repaired, infections wiped, and other forms of PC fettling with a large hammer. My phone stutters very often, so I expect a decent change.... ahh... stuff it... I'll do it now and report back in 24 hours as to how many stutters I have seen.
    09-14-11 03:50 PM
    Well, since NONE of you had the guts to put your discovery to test, I'm running .600 again.

I'll be back on .650 tomorrow.

I just didn't have the energy to do this, but due to an unrelated BES change at work I was forced to wipe my 9780, so just for you I put .600 on. Immediate stutter. I didn't want to wait 48 hours, so I wiped the 9780 again and put .650 back. No stutter.

At least my theory is verified. You'll have to test your own theory yourself, as this was already way more work than I wanted to do!

.650. Just do it.
    Blind are we? I only want the truth, I don't care about begin right.

Gonna update back to .650 later (when everybody sleeps - it is still a phone hehe).
    09-14-11 04:27 PM
    Does anyone know if rogers will release the update and when? I updated to .448 before but I did it with my phone since an icon appeared notifying me of an update. Mine stutters like a bi@tch! I understand you can update through different carrier but I have to delete some vendor file? I'm new to bb and kinda hesitant as I'm afraid I might mess it up and i'm usually bad with this sort of stuff. Is it an easy task?
    09-14-11 08:38 PM
    Does anyone know if rogers will release the update and when? I updated to .448 before but I did it with my phone since an icon appeared notifying me of an update. Mine stutters like a bi@tch! I understand you can update through different carrier but I have to delete some vendor file? I'm new to bb and kinda hesitant as I'm afraid I might mess it up and i'm usually bad with this sort of stuff. Is it an easy task?
    It is a very easy task to do. Details in the stickies. Basically, you download the all language pack and install to the PC. Open up the folder it was installed to (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) and delete the file in there called vendor.xml. Then just install by running "loader.exe" from that same folder. OR fire up Blackberry Desktop Manager and that will also work.

The advantage of using "loader.exe" is more control over what is installed. Though last night, for me, loader did not want to play ball and I did my update via Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Backups are taken as part of the process, and restored afterwards. All surprisingly easy and smooth. You will see notes about turning off the radio in the phone mainly so you don't get anyone sending you a message during this process.

Edit: Ah... there it is. Hiding in diegoni's signature is the link to the offical "how to update" page. Complete with pictures. Just do it.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    Last edited by Batter Pudding; 09-15-11 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added linky...
    09-15-11 05:09 AM
    I think the scepticism arose because it took so long for RIM to fix this. Not being a programmer myself I don't know how significant of a change this was, however given the uniqueness of the problem I'm not suprised that solution took time. As with anything brilliant the answer looks simple in the hindsight.

09-15-11 12:43 PM
    @Gelo_f: the other thing that delays fixes like this is a priority list in the bug database. All bugs have a priority assigned, and clearly there were other issues ahead of it in the queue. It was an annoying problem - but not a show stopper.

As to my update as to my experience. I went from .600 to .650. When I write a long 320 character text message I would usually see some double letters appear. It would be rare not to experience it. Today I have sent three long messages and entered some contact details. So far not a single stutter. My phone is finally SANE!!! No more speech impediment. Excellent
    09-15-11 01:56 PM
    Rolling back to .650... I had minimal stutter with .600. So far, it seems there is indeed a software fix.
    09-15-11 02:34 PM
    Thanks for all that info BP! Will try it tonight. With all the positive results I'm seeing here I'm excited! It feels like I'm getting a new phone!
    09-15-11 03:02 PM
    Thanks for all that info BP! Will try it tonight. With all the positive results I'm seeing here I'm excited! It feels like I'm getting a new phone!
    Read the official linky that I added later. It is all described in pictures in there. And very easy to do.

BUT.... what if it goes wrong? First time I ever did it, it stalled and went wrong on me. froze up. Even after waiting for a couple of hours to see if it could recover, I had to give up. Turned phone off\on. It looked like it was frozen. So I just started again, and that second time worked perfectly.

The update process looks pretty well id10t proof. Just delete that vendor.xml.

As to "new phone"... sure is like it. Always been a frustrating niggle the double text bug. So it is really nice to see it gone. Writing SMS's now is much less frustrating.
    09-15-11 03:20 PM
    I will give this a try!!! The stuttering makes me want to pull my hair out!
    09-17-11 03:01 PM
    .650 fixes the stutter problem for me and my husband too.
    Both have a 9780 with massive stutter issues. Really frustrating, because it was getting worse and worse.

But a few days ago decided to give .650 a try after reading this topic, and yes NO more stuttering! So we both are so happy with our Blackberry's once again

Thanks for mentioning this fixes the stutter problem!
    09-18-11 10:10 AM

Thanks again for the help bp! Just updated.. Not one stutter so far!

09-19-11 09:20 PM
    Whoa I may acctually. Hhave a reasson to moove away fromm .285 now

09-19-11 10:50 PM
    My stuttering comes and goes. I've had every software update before .650 and could go weeks without any stuttering but on certain days it would stutter like mad. It was always on extreme cold days and extremely humid days.

Willl try 650 to see if it really does fix this issue but I won't know fully if it is a fix cause I am currently not experiencing stuttering with .600. Time will tell

09-20-11 06:16 PM
    This seems like a problem that is definitely fixable with a software update.

Anyone here play(ed) paintball? It's the same thing as trigger bounce, if anyone knows what that is...

Basically when you hit a key, instead of making one single connection, the switch under the key makes anywhere between 20-50 tiny individual connections, each separated by only a fraction of a millisecond. Properly written software will read all of those connections and be smart enough to interpret them all as one collective action, and only register one single hit. Glitched software probably checked the status of the connection too quickly and doubled or tripled-up on key stroke commands.

In paintball they used to make circuit boards that would "bounce", or register these extra connections on purpose to increase firing rate.

TLDR: This is definitely a software fix. Seriously considering a 9780 now that I know this bug has been fixed.
    09-21-11 12:06 PM
    This seems like a problem that is definitely fixable with a software update.

Anyone here play(ed) paintball? It's the same thing as trigger bounce, if anyone knows what that is...

Basically when you hit a key, instead of making one single connection, the switch under the key makes anywhere between 20-50 tiny individual connections, each separated by only a fraction of a millisecond. Properly written software will read all of those connections and be smart enough to interpret them all as one collective action, and only register one single hit. Glitched software probably checked the status of the connection too quickly and doubled or tripled-up on key stroke commands.

In paintball they used to make circuit boards that would "bounce", or register these extra connections on purpose to increase firing rate.

TLDR: This is definitely a software fix. Seriously considering a 9780 now that I know this bug has been fixed.
    Well, FWIW... .650 didn't cure my stuttering. It did greatly decrease the severity, but I still get stuttering on the g and h keys if the weather's not perfect.

09-21-11 02:25 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD