My kid brother has received Bold from Ebay, 10 days ago (paid with my money!)
    Device is in great condition, price was bargain. Phone is working with 3 major SIM cards from my country. It can accept calls.

But...
    it is password protected. Something like keyboard lock... There is lock icon, in the bottom right corner, and we simply can only type password. He tried 3 times, and it says that he got 7 attempts left.

I have searched a bit, and tried to reinstall the OS, but device is asking for a password every time we connect it via USB to PC.

We have also tried to contact the seller from Ebay, but without any success.

My questions are:
    1. Is there any chance to wipe everything from the device, and to return it to factory condition, without any locks, passwords, etc?

2. What will happened if we try 10 times to unlock it? I have read somewhere that in that case, it will return to factory state, but the password will remains??? Is that true?
    In that case, the phone won`t be usable anymore, right?

My only option for now, is to return it to the seller, but I am not so sure about his money-back policy...

Thanks for reading.
    And... think twice before bidding on Ebay!
    07-29-09 04:07 PM
    No big deal... Enter a wrong password 10 times and it will wipe the phone... then just load a new OS and enjoy.
    07-29-09 04:10 PM
    The password will NOT remain after the wipe. Otherwise the security feature would be rather artarded. Like thej stated, no big deal.............
    07-29-09 04:15 PM
    Yeah it would be a fresh start for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't believe someone would sell their Bold leaving it password protected, so either get the 'owner' to remove their password, or give the Bold back to it's real owner.
    No big deal... Enter a wrong password 10 times and it will wipe the phone... then just load a new OS and enjoy.
    Thanks for the quick answer. But, as I said... I have read somewhere that wiping the phone (via 10 fake password attempts method) will not remove that password protection.

Am I going to be able (after wiping) to connect the phone via USB to my PC, to update the OS?

I have tried to connect it several times, but it says something like: USB-PIN:20(and something)... please enter password (4/10)
    07-29-09 04:18 PM
    The password will NOT remain after the wipe.
    Indeed.

---
    07-29-09 04:20 PM
    If you own it, try it.
    07-29-09 04:21 PM
    I don't believe someone would sell their Bold leaving it password protected, so either get the 'owner' to remove their password, or give the Bold back to it's real owner.
    As I said... we have tried to contact the previous owner, but, 10 days after, there is no answer to our e-mail.

I will try to wipe it out (my bro is not that good with gadgets), otherwise, the only option is to return it... but in that case, I have to pay for transport expenses, right? And to pray that he will return my money?
    07-29-09 04:27 PM
    As I said... we have tried to contact the previous owner, but, 10 days after, there is no answer to our e-mail.

I will try to wipe it out (my bro is not that good with gadgets), otherwise, the only option is to return it... but in that case, I have to pay for transport expenses, right? And to pray that he will return my money?
    If you purchased it on eBay, you can contact eBay about the problem and they will contact the seller, and/or give you their phone number so you can call them.
    07-29-09 04:30 PM
    Isn't real nice to basically tell a person they have stolen someone's phone, do you now this person you are making accusations about?
    07-29-09 04:37 PM
    If you purchased it on eBay, you can contact eBay about the problem and they will contact the seller, and/or give you their phone number so you can call them.
    Well... there are two options for me then:
    1. to try to wipe it out
    2. to return it to the previous owner via Ebay

But, from my point of view... previous owner can complain if I try to return the phone without the OS, right?

So, I can`t do 1.) than 2.) - only 1.) OR 2.)

Maybe it is the best way to contact the Ebay, leaving the phone in the same condition as I received it.
    07-29-09 04:43 PM
    Just enter the password wrong 10 times... the phone will be wiped... then load the OS and use it...
    07-29-09 04:45 PM
    Isn't real nice to basically tell a person they have stolen someone's phone, do you now this person you are making accusations about?
    I didn't say HE stole it. It may have been listed on eBay after it was stolen!
    Is there anyway we can see the auction description or the sellers account name? Or anything from eBay?
    Thats not fair because anyone can sell a stolen phone on ebay. how was he suppose to know that it was locked unless the ad said so. if you have a problem helping ask for proof and PM them a solution so that actual theifs cant find solution...
    07-29-09 04:57 PM
    There have been so many (do a search) about people asking how to unlock a password protected phone, that if it was to be easy, no one would need to lock their BB's in the first place.
    Some have gone as far as to say they can't remember their password and how can they bypass the password. If you forgot it, you'd have to be a moron as to set it up you need to type it in twice and each time you lock it you have to unlock it.
    07-29-09 05:06 PM
    There have been so many (do a search) about people asking how to unlock a password protected phone, that if it was to be easy, no one would need to lock their BB's in the first place.
    Some have gone as far as to say they can't remember their password and how can they bypass the password. If you forgot it, you'd have to be a moron as to set it up you need to type it in twice and each time you lock it you have to unlock it.
    oh i know believe me. but thats why i said ask for proof...like the ebay page and such. i know people lie but atleast try and help ppl that got screwed. you know that someone that sold a stolen phone are not gonna help with password. its not the buyers fault. sorry i feel bad lol..
    07-29-09 05:19 PM
    I am a 30y old Trade Finance Manager. Have a son, 4 1/2 months old.
    Who are you to accuse me being a thief??

I can smell a hostile environment here.
    Thank you for everything!

And, one more thing...
    if THEJGAFFECT provide me with the proof that he is a police officer, I will be glad to reveal all the details about my brother`s purchase.
    07-29-09 05:21 PM
    ahaha, I was trying to be helpful... I wanted to see your eBay stuff to see if the seller looked legit or not. Sorry for being helpful?. You want me to provide proof of being a police officer? I can assure you I am not a cop. I can also tell you, you are a certified loser if you are actually 30 years old because you write like a 12 year old. I told you already just enter the password 10 times and wipe the phone. And tell your moron brother to do some research before he buys a phone...
    07-29-09 05:35 PM
    I am a 30y old Trade Finance Manager. Have a son, 4 1/2 months old.
    Who are you to accuse me being a thief??

I can smell a hostile environment here.
    Thank you for everything!

And, one more thing...
    if THEJGAFFECT provide me with the proof that he is a police officer, I will be glad to reveal all the details about my brother`s purchase.
    You are the one who wanted help in getting around the password protected phone. So, first off.. maybe you should of contacted eBay immediately. Second, If you don't want thejgeffect seeing your purchase, so that maybe he can help you contact the person your brother bought it from, sounds fishy.
    Heaps of newbees get on this site hoping for help with unlocking a password protected phone, and when it doesn't work out that they can, we never hear from them again. So..all I can say is..if you want help, you need to show proof so someone can help.
    07-29-09 05:38 PM
    ahaha, I was trying to be helpful... I wanted to see your eBay stuff to see if the seller looked legit or not. Sorry for being helpful?. You want me to provide proof of being a police officer? I can assure you I am not a cop. I can also tell you, you are a certified loser if you are actually 30 years old because you write like a 12 year old. I told you already just enter the password 10 times and wipe the phone. And tell your moron brother to do some research before he buys a phone...
    LOL, love it. And to think I was trying to be nice. I should of just told him like you did.
    07-29-09 05:40 PM
    yea sorry i didnt feel bad after that responce...
    07-29-09 05:45 PM
    hmmm, looks like I was right.
    My earlier post... "Heaps of newbees get on this site hoping for help with unlocking a password protected phone, and when it doesn't work out that they can, we never hear from them again."
    LOL
    07-29-09 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD