hello out there Blackberry lovers,

My question is pretty simple. If you are streaming music from Pandora or watching a video on YouTube using your Blackberry, would you get better battery life extension by using the wireless "on" and moving the network down to 2 G.? Or would it be better to turn off wireless and use either 2G/3G?

I'm starting to notice a steady decline in battery life with a phone that is over a year and a half old, and trying to make it until the new 9900 or 9930 is available as I don't see the point in shelling out $50 -- $60 to buy a new battery when that can be applied to my $99 upgrade when the 9900 is available.

I know all the simple techniques of shutting off unused applications, turning the phone to silent, dimming the screen, shutting off the Bluetooth, etc. but I was wondering how having the wireless setting turned on impacts battery life versus just using the network straight out.

Anybody notice a difference?

I just love having music with me wherever I go but if I can't get two hours out of this battery because of it, what's the point? Working from home I always have a wireless connection and I wish there was a way to turn off AT&T's network altogether but it forces you to pick between two options.
    07-20-11 02:08 PM
    I used a 9000 before I switched to the 9700. The battery life on the 9000 was never very good on 3G, even when the device and battery were new.

I would recommend switching from 3G&2G to 2G only, unless you really need the browser and do not have Wi-Fi access.

There is a good chance that YouTube and Pandora will not work on 2G (EDGE) only, or will buffer constantly. However, if you need to conserve the battery and do not wish to buy another one, using 2G (and not using YouTube/Pandora if they do not work) would be my suggestion.
    rktate likes this.
    07-20-11 02:17 PM
    I used a 9000 before I switched to the 9700. The battery life on the 9000 was never very good on 3G, even when the device and battery were new.

I would recommend switching from 3G&2G to 2G only, unless you really need the browser and do not have Wi-Fi access.

There is a good chance that YouTube and Pandora will not work on 2G (EDGE) only, or will buffer constantly. However, if you need to conserve the battery and do not wish to buy another one, using 2G (and not using YouTube/Pandora if they do not work) would be my suggestion.
    Glad to know that I am not the only one that has experienced terrible battery life with the 9000. When I went in to look for a new battery, the salesperson did say that the 9000 was still probably one of the most reliable phones given that it is 3 1/2 years old as a model. And I have noticed from my friends 9700 and incredible difference with battery life. She can go two days without having to charge.

So to build upon your advice, I never have any problems streaming Pandora using just the 2G network "Edge", so then the question becomes should I leave wireless on or off? Is the pulling of a WiFi signal in conjunction with the 2G network going to be more of a drain?
    07-20-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD