Hi guys. I bought a BB Bold off ebay about 2 months ago. ( sigh!) It is running OS v4.6.0.92 (Platform 4.0.0.117)

I am having some strange problems with it. I have ignored them but now its getting annoying. I wonder if this is why it was for sale:

1. Randomly, my screen will go black, and the red LED will just stay on. The phone stays like this for about 2 minutes then does a full reset. VERY annoying!

2.Again, randomly, I wi ll lose ability to send SMS messages. I can type them out, but then when i click the menu, I have no option to press "Send". The "send" option dissappears from the menu!! All I can do is remove the battery and it comes back. Very strange!

3. Sometimes, if I go somewhere (say, indoors) where there is no signal, I will get the SOS icon. The problem is that when I leave this area, back to somewhere with full signal, the phone will still stay in SOS mode. I have to turn off the mobile connection and switch it on again to reset this. This problem is intermittent too.

4. I sometimes ( quite regularly ) get dropping calls. Much more than on any other phone I've had. My friends also say I break up quite a lot when talking.

I have searched for these but found them nowhere else, apologies if they are already discussed. I am just really gutted as I love this phone.

IS there a manufacturer warranty with RIM? Can I Send it back to them

Any help greatly appreciated!
    06-17-09 07:32 PM
    Hi guys. I bought a BB Bold off ebay about 2 months ago. ( sigh!) It is running OS v4.6.0.92 (Platform 4.0.0.117)

I am having some strange problems with it. I have ignored them but now its getting annoying. I wonder if this is why it was for sale:

1. Randomly, my screen will go black, and the red LED will just stay on. The phone stays like this for about 2 minutes then does a full reset. VERY annoying!

2.Again, randomly, I wi ll lose ability to send SMS messages. I can type them out, but then when i click the menu, I have no option to press "Send". The "send" option dissappears from the menu!! All I can do is remove the battery and it comes back. Very strange!

3. Sometimes, if I go somewhere (say, indoors) where there is no signal, I will get the SOS icon. The problem is that when I leave this area, back to somewhere with full signal, the phone will still stay in SOS mode. I have to turn off the mobile connection and switch it on again to reset this. This problem is intermittent too.

4. I sometimes ( quite regularly ) get dropping calls. Much more than on any other phone I've had. My friends also say I break up quite a lot when talking.

I have searched for these but found them nowhere else, apologies if they are already discussed. I am just really gutted as I love this phone.

IS there a manufacturer warranty with RIM? Can I Send it back to them

Any help greatly appreciated!
    Have you tried upgraded your OS? You might solve a lot of these problems on something like .266.
    06-17-09 08:02 PM
    I agree, upgrade to your lastest carrier approved OS and then take the problem solving from there, your OS is a bit old, so updating could be the first step to ironing out any problems you might have
    06-17-09 08:11 PM
    I agree, upgrade to your lastest carrier approved OS and then take the problem solving from there, your OS is a bit old, so updating could be the first step to ironing out any problems you might have
    Or even not your carrier-approved OS. I am not using a Rogers OS but .266 is working great for me.
    06-17-09 08:17 PM
    forgive my stupidity..but what is a carrier approved OS? I feel like i am disconnected from my carrier because I have bought this blackberry seperately and am not using any BIS or BES or anything.Does this matter?
    06-19-09 06:58 AM
    I live in Dubai so not sure about how the carriers woork in the US. I have my phone for a whille and am using BIS. This basicly means that I get my e-mail etc. However the problems you have described should not be affected by wether you have or don't have a BIS or BES. Downlooading and installing the latest OS should help with some of the problems. Another issue also could be that you may need to change your battery. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 07:09 AM
    This sounds like a pre-release device with that OS version. That is a very old version, so an update is in order and could solve many issues. Sounds like the CPU and memory are being taxed.
    06-19-09 07:53 AM
    So I'm guessing this is one of those phones that orange stopped shipping to the UK until they sorted out the software issues? MAkes sense!

I am just updating it now, will let you know how it goes!
    06-19-09 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD