I've just gotten another Bold after being gone for sometime (I seemingly had an "affair" with an iPhone 3G) and my new Bold has an odd little issue.

The R, T, and Y keys are difficult to press, Not *impossible* but fairly difficult none the less. I'm unsure if this is just because the phone is fairly new, or because of something such as a defective upper-keyboard structure. I'm not sure if this is hardware issue or a software issue.

I can return it to the person I bought it, or I can possibly see if I can get any assistance from AT&T/RIM on it, It's only a few weeks old, I also can try and replace the keyboard structure, as various retailers have the keyboard structure for about 12.00+ shipping. I've done a bezel replacement when I had my Bold, so I'm comfortable with taking this apart, but I don't want to if the best recourse would be to get warranty replacement from RIM or AT&T, yet I'm not sure if that's possible as I'm using T-Mobile.
    07-23-09 03:09 PM
    I think ur BB is upset that you strayed. You were a bad bad girl.
    07-23-09 03:14 PM
    I think ur BB is upset that you strayed. You were a bad bad girl.
    I actually lol'd at your response, but I do have the issue. I'm thinking about taking it apart to see if there is something wrong with the alignment of things.
    07-23-09 04:41 PM
    It's definately not because it is 'new'.

If you want, sure take it apart and see. QA isn't always 100%., so some pins of those letters could've been misaligned in assembly.

Good luck!
    07-23-09 06:58 PM
    It's definately not because it is 'new'.

If you want, sure take it apart and see. QA isn't always 100%., so some pins of those letters could've been misaligned in assembly.

Good luck!
    As a little update, I finally decided (at 10:30 at night because it was bothering me) to take apart my Bold, Nothing was wrong with the keyboard assembly, and nothing was wrong with the little "buttons" on the keyboard membrane attached to the phone, so I reassembled, and sure enough, my keys now work just fine.

I have a feeling the issue was that the keyboard assembly hadn't been inserted properly, Looking at it before an after, a large amount of light was spilling out from between two areas of the keyboard (above and below the bar which contains the answer/BB menu/trackball opening/back and end keys.) which caused the top row of keys (and specifically those three keys) to be out of their proper position just enough to cause this issue.

So if you have this issue with a Bold (and possibly some other phones) your easiest option would be to disassemble and then re-set (carefully) the keyboard assembly, and then the remainder of the phone.

You also can't go wrong with simply setting the keyboard assembly on the phone PCB (be VERY gentle.) and trying to press the buttons that way, If they work, as mine did when I tried this, then you can pretty much be assured that your keyboard assembly wasn't properly placed, and if you reassemble, the issue should be resolved.

(P.S - Sorry if this post seems at all sloppy, I believe I've been up for 18 hours now.)
    07-24-09 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD