the lock feature in v.330 was perfect:

press lock button (upper left corner on edge of device), screen stays lit; you can see it's locked.

set to lock when sliding into holster; no problem, stayed locked once removed...

HOWEVER, now with v.586:

press lock button...SCREEN GOES BLACK (and you have to assume, then verify, that it's really locked).

manually lock phone and holster (or set to lock when slid into holster), remove from holster (again, you assume it really was locked when in holster), PHONE UNLOCKS (even when set to not auto answer once removed).

Called RIM: "that's the way it was redesigned"

Do you have ANY operating system that gives me the secure, VISIBLE, SIMPLE (no password required to lock/unlock) lock of v.330 AND the "fewer 2g to 3g dropped calls" of v.586???

"No".

A newer operating system? YES. An upgrade? NO.
    05-25-10 03:04 PM
    Check out the "How to Lock a OS 5.0 device" linked below... very OLD news here on CB.
    05-25-10 03:09 PM
    This is groundbreaking news.
    05-25-10 03:13 PM
    welcome to 3 months ago.
    05-25-10 04:06 PM
    If you were using AutoStandby you can now use AddOnis AddOnis | Nominated for Best Productivity App of 2009 - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store to get the same result plus a few other things that AddOnis does that you may or may not like or need.
    05-25-10 04:16 PM
    i have always liked the autolock from allan penner works well, always locks and adjustable
    05-25-10 06:20 PM
    The point was (yes, i was aware of this new "feature") I spoke directly with RIM; they could not see why this is even an issue. They took away (for no apparent reason) the option i was previously given in v.330 to let me decide for myself if i:

wanted to actually see that the phone was indeed locked, and

wanted to have my device to REMAIN LOCKED even when i removed from holster

RIM didn't care; it ain't coming back. Tmobile is of course unaware of any of this (and offered as a 'solution' to send me a new device with the exact same OS).

As far as i can tell, there was zero reason to take away the choice found in v.330.

Thank you for the links, but as i read the detail on "how to lock pass/no pass", i just thought "wouldn't the locking ways of v.330 just been a whole **** of a lot easier?"
    05-25-10 09:31 PM
    The point was (yes, i was aware of this new "feature") I spoke directly with RIM; they could not see why this is even an issue. They took away (for no apparent reason) the option i was previously given in v.330 to let me decide for myself if i:

wanted to actually see that the phone was indeed locked, and

wanted to have my device to REMAIN LOCKED even when i removed from holster

RIM didn't care; it ain't coming back. Tmobile is of course unaware of any of this (and offered as a 'solution' to send me a new device with the exact same OS).

As far as i can tell, there was zero reason to take away the choice found in v.330.

Thank you for the links, but as i read the detail on "how to lock pass/no pass", i just thought "wouldn't the locking ways of v.330 just been a whole **** of a lot easier?"
    >>>>>>>>+1
    05-25-10 09:35 PM
    samsnz and Pete6: thank you.
    05-25-10 09:40 PM
    Tmobile is of course unaware of any of this (and offered as a 'solution' to send me a new device with the exact same OS).
    Don't color me surprised that a couple of Reps... maybe even Blackberry Reps (which was not stated here) might not be aware of this... not everybody is as well informed about OS updated as CB members... and not all provider reps visit CB's Forums... even though I'd have to recommend ANYONE I know with a Blackberry.

More than likely you are as mad as all the other people around here when this started happening to all of us... we all thought this was a bug... and then the next OS had the same bug, and the next... until I finally say a Blog post from Kevin that found some Official statement from RIM saying this was how it was going to be going forward with new OS versions... to me it's strange that they would not have made this part of ALL OS 5.0 versions when OS 5.0 was first released, instead of making that change at around .5xx... who know the rime or reason for anything that any large corporation does now a days... we have all learned to live with it.
    05-26-10 06:23 AM
    All I wish is that the lock button password locked the phone like the k shortcut does. Not just lock the keyboard. I wonder why they didn't do it like that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 06:28 AM
    I don't see why this is an issue the screen immediately dims meaning it's locked. It's a change for the better.

05-26-10 07:56 AM
    All I wish is that the lock button password locked the phone like the k shortcut does. Not just lock the keyboard. I wonder why they didn't do it like that?

Whats a k shortcut?
    05-26-10 08:21 AM
    Whats a k shortcut?
    if you turn off dialing from the home screen. Pressing the K button, locks your phone if you have a password set. It's what I use now b/c my 9000's mute button has crapped out on me! Plus, I read on here that it's good to have a password
    05-26-10 08:25 AM
    I don't see why this is an issue the screen immediately dims meaning it's locked. It's a change for the better.

Riiight, how easy is that. I haven't upgraded yet but from what I read wtf is the difference. The standby/mute button just pisses me of currently. If I have a voicemail and it's locked<standby'ed it all freezes up. Once I make time to update this piece, I'll welcome those changes.

First off, holsters are for dorks, but if your pulling your phone out, 9 out of 10 times your going to use it, so it unlocking at that point makes sense.

Waaa burgers and some french-crys, oh I forgot I'm on crackberry.

05-26-10 11:41 AM

Because they previously allowed ME to let my phone STAY LOCKED when unholstered....

sometimes i just want to see how's calling, not answer, and not have to worry about RELOCKING the phone (as believe it or not, i sometimes remove from holster, look at display and choose not to reholster).

why would you not even give the customer that option (it's just software)?

i will ask that question. and yes, it was a RIM supervisor (not a BB rep, not Tmobile) i was speaking with.

as for "First off, holsters are for dorks, but if your pulling your phone out, 9 out of 10 times your going to use it, so it unlocking at that point makes sense."......

Please, bear in mind you are speaking for yourself with your 9 out of 10, and not everyone else.
    05-26-10 07:20 PM
    Mainly holsters are for dorks, just wanted some sort of figure to follow that making the main point more legit.

05-26-10 07:26 PM
    yea, that's what i usually do: just pull a "stat" out of thin air to make me "more legit".
    05-26-10 09:26 PM
    there is a way around it ... assign the left side convenience key to password lock ... so once your phone go to the black screen its surly locked (without using the holster)! I loved the old lock when the screen stayed lit but as I see from my research its seems that you have a choice screen stays lit vs fixing the dropped calls and the instability in the sms function.

It would be lovely to have this function back (screen stay lit) i just don't understand why they did that? to save power? not sure? Plus it feels really strange to have the standby button now in the place of the lock / unlock one! and to have the standby button dedicated to mute while listening to music!

I am thinking to revert back to the old software but its seems to be a bigger problem to do that in mac, so am staying with this system and hope to evolve with it!

Lets hope the coming upgrade will do something about this!

the lock feature in v.330 was perfect:

press lock button (upper left corner on edge of device), screen stays lit; you can see it's locked.

set to lock when sliding into holster; no problem, stayed locked once removed...

HOWEVER, now with v.586:

press lock button...SCREEN GOES BLACK (and you have to assume, then verify, that it's really locked).

manually lock phone and holster (or set to lock when slid into holster), remove from holster (again, you assume it really was locked when in holster), PHONE UNLOCKS (even when set to not auto answer once removed).

Called RIM: "that's the way it was redesigned"

Do you have ANY operating system that gives me the secure, VISIBLE, SIMPLE (no password required to lock/unlock) lock of v.330 AND the "fewer 2g to 3g dropped calls" of v.586???

"No".

A newer operating system? YES. An upgrade? NO.
    05-26-10 11:57 PM
    ...holsters are for dorks
    What an ignorant thing to say. You might as well say, "Anyone who doesn't do everything exactly as I do is a dork."

05-27-10 12:09 AM
    Didn't I just say that I basically say that. People who use ignorant are pedophiles. Is that better.

My tag is bagodonuts, like I'm going to take anything seriously. People on here make me actually giggle aloud sometimes.

I can see some uptight @ss gettin all worked up over an electronic piece of plastic or even of off some d!ck named bagodonuts. Haha

05-27-10 05:17 AM
    Didn't I just say that I basically say that. People who use ignorant are pedophiles. Is that better.

My tag is bagodonuts, like I'm going to take anything seriously. People on here make me actually giggle aloud sometimes.

I can see some uptight @ss gettin all worked up over an electronic piece of plastic or even of off some d!ck named bagodonuts. Haha

uh... what?
    05-27-10 05:25 AM

Hey bagOdonuts. Here in Canada... Donuts usually come in nicely decorated boxes. I personally like the ones with white powdered sugar on them and strawberries inside.... You?

05-27-10 05:57 AM
    Guys, guys, take a deep breath, please.

As a dork using a RIM supplied in the box holster I would rather this thread got back on track if its all the same to all of you.

If it keeps going the way it looks right now then I'll make it head for oblivion .
    05-27-10 05:57 AM
    Ha yea canada that's what I'm talkin about. I actually don't even like donuts.

Thanks pete for being a calm word of reason.

05-27-10 06:05 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD