Got a new Bold 9650 about 3 weeks ago and love it. I've been bragging to everyone I know about how awesome this phone is. During that time, my son's phone turned into a brick (LG Chocolate or something like it). So I suprize him with his own 9650 last Saturday, telling him how much I think he'll like it.

He likes the phone but his battery life is terrible, and the phone keeps freezing up at different times. He goes thru the battery with mild use in about a half a day. I've done and/or coached him thru the steps found in these forums about battery life saving and they don't seem to be helping much. He called me tonight saying his phone has frozen 4 times today, once while trying to answer a received call. Battery pulls don't seem to be helping.

I figured I would post to see if anyone has any suggestions. Should we return for a new one at VZW? Is there a fix? He says he still likes the phone but can't figure out why mine is doing so well and his isn't living up to the high praise I've given it.

Running 5.0.732. Apps include fb, twitter, student diary, and viigo. To my knowledge nothing else.

Any help would be appreciated.
    10-10-10 08:05 PM
    Take it back to the store. Sounds like a bad phone if it's locking up and also could have a bad battery. These phones are pretty good with battery life.
    10-10-10 08:11 PM
    I agree with the post above. Take it back to the Verizon store. I just got a bold two weeks ago and love it! (I had the tour before the bold. )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 08:23 PM
    does he have apps constantly running in the background cause that could cause the freezing issues too
    10-10-10 08:24 PM
    No apps in the background. I checked, and showed him how to check.
    10-10-10 09:31 PM
    If you really want to try and work with the current device then wipe it and reload the OS. If you want to take the express route, then go to the store and exchange it for another device.

I recommend exchanging it.
    10-10-10 09:40 PM
    Did u update the software after receiving the phone because when you update the software you have to wait a couple of days for the battey to settle in with the current os... I had similar problems when I installed os6 .280 and now it runs great and get full day of battery... Hope I helped

10-11-10 02:24 AM
    Update the software? As in, update the OS? If that was the question, then no it had 5.0.732 out of the box. Sorry if that wasn't the question.
    10-11-10 10:19 AM
    Update at least to .810, that has pretty good battery life. I personally would suggest you upgrade to 6.0.0.280 because OS6 is awesome and .280 has great battery life

10-11-10 12:59 PM
    OS 5.0.0.732 is the latest official version from Verizon and the listed apps should not be causing a problem. You could do as JorGeorge suggests and try to wipe and reload the software yourself OR if you have the time, take into the VZW store and have them try to either find out what is wrong, fix it or replace it. I don't recommend loading unsupported, leaked or unofficial OS or similar software on the phone at this point. I had great battery life and strong signal on .732, just low ringer volumes, otherwise it was best overall OS yet.
    10-11-10 01:24 PM
    I'm pretty sure we're going to carry it back to VZW. Makes the most sense with the least risk. I'll update on the success/failure. Thanks for everyone's advice.
    10-11-10 05:22 PM
    Good luck... And hope your son enjoys the replacement for his 9650...

10-11-10 07:54 PM
    It might just be those sex sites he visits! They can be hard on a young phone.

10-12-10 10:13 PM
    Well, you already have the phone yourself, but I will add to the fact that this phone works like a charm... and I'm having no issues whatsoever with battery life or freezing. As far as I can tell, the phone is entirely without bugs and is not finicky about apps.

His phone should probably go back to Verizon.
    10-13-10 06:38 AM
    Ok. I was out of town all week so I asked him to suffer thru it untill this weekend when we could meet half-way between here and college and exchange it. Thursday he BBM's me and tells me his battery has lasted all day and only froze once. Friday he BBM's me and tells me his battery has lasted all day and then some with no freezing. Today he BBM's me and tells me he hasn't frozen and his battery is acting just like I said mine was (lasting almost 2 days with minimal use).

I had told him to do a battery pull everytime it freezes and also about once a day if the battery life wasn't up to par. Could it have taken 2 weeks for the OS to "hone in"? or should we still exchange it?

Haven't upgraded OS to .975 yet but it's on the agenda for all 3 bolds probably tomorrow if we don't do his exchange.

Advise?
    10-16-10 10:18 PM
    I would go with the exchange first. Think about it, if you load the .975 OS who knows how long that'll take for the phone to come up to par again. It'll save you time. If you don't do the exchange, load the OS, have the same problems, then exchange, that's a big load of extra wasted time. Exchange then load new OS. I really think its your best bet. And just for the record, your an awesome mom for getting your son a 9650 as a surprise. I wish my mom would do that, I have to get all the things I want on my own lol.

10-17-10 09:24 AM
    Ok. I was out of town all week so I asked him to suffer thru it untill this weekend when we could meet half-way between here and college and exchange it. Thursday he BBM's me and tells me his battery has lasted all day and only froze once. Friday he BBM's me and tells me his battery has lasted all day and then some with no freezing. Today he BBM's me and tells me he hasn't frozen and his battery is acting just like I said mine was (lasting almost 2 days with minimal use).

I had told him to do a battery pull everytime it freezes and also about once a day if the battery life wasn't up to par. Could it have taken 2 weeks for the OS to "hone in"? or should we still exchange it?

Haven't upgraded OS to .975 yet but it's on the agenda for all 3 bolds probably tomorrow if we don't do his exchange.

Advise?
    At this point I would just load .975 on the device and hope for the best. That OS has gotten mostly favorable reviews, so you might save some of your time by loading the OS instead of going to the store and waiting for it to get exchanged (if they even decide to grant you an exchange).
    10-17-10 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD