I owned a 9700 white for a few months, had the Blackberry data plan (T-Mo US), and usually pulled down 30 to 90 KBs, lucky if I EVER passed 100. Well, I got a G2 android and missed the BB so much, I had to come back. Thing is, T-Mo won't let me keep my 20 dollar grandfathered plan if I change, even though they're not technically losing any money, they're just being [profanity edited by mod]. Anyway, best part, since the APN is the same, I just use the Android data plan on my BB, and my data speeds are usually 200 to 250 KBs a second, what my N900 pulled down, what my G2 pulled down, etc etc. When I load a webpage in the stock browser, I no longer sit on "Requesting..." for like 20 seconds before loading the page, it only requests for the latency, which is usually 60 to 120 milliseconds, so not long at all.

I figured that T-Mo must have upgraded the network since I had my first 9700, but I looked into it, and they totally didn't. These speeds have been consistent all week.

Moral of the story? BIS is effing slow, Blackberries minus BIS are bad ***. So far, the only thing I lost is push email, but I don't need it. Some apps don't work with Direct TCP/IP but it's only things like Amaze GPS and the crackberry wallpaper changer, but 99% of apps work without it so I'm a happy crackberryer once again.
    07-13-11 11:11 PM
    Well, you also lost the BBM, apart of pushed emails. And for me the pushed email itself would be a huge loss.
    I am not technical genie, but I imagine that as BIS data traffic goes through your operator infrastucture AND blackberry APN. The latest can be causing some slow-downs comparing to the direct connection.
    Again, I may be totally wrong on this one, so please someone correct me.
    07-14-11 03:01 AM
    BIS data does get passed through the carrier as well as RIMs servers, which is slow as ****, as I've come to learn. However, I'm way better off now. BBM is nothing now since all my buddies went on to Android, which is how I imagine it for many. Push email was nice but it's not a dealbreaker for me since I lost it on Android, I'm use to not having it.
    07-14-11 05:54 PM
    Push e-mail isn't a problem on Android as long as you have a GMail account, it's blazing fast.
    07-14-11 06:08 PM
    Hey, nothing major here, but I recently slid my way back into my grandfathered $20 a month unlimited Blackberry data plan on T-Mo, of course with access to BIS.

I immediately went from downloading files at 250kbytes+ to 50 or 60 kbytes if I was lucky. Basically, I was right with my hunch, BIS slows down data tremendously.
    08-19-11 07:13 PM
    Hey, nothing major here, but I recently slid my way back into my grandfathered $20 a month unlimited Blackberry data plan on T-Mo, of course with access to BIS.

I immediately went from downloading files at 250kbytes+ to 50 or 60 kbytes if I was lucky. Basically, I was right with my hunch, BIS slows down data tremendously.
    I don't seem to notice how slow things are with my blackberry, it loads, works, e-mail comes through, i'm satisfied. Interesting, did you talk the t-mobile reps to switch you back over to that plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD