Actually they DO use that space for app storage
    I'm pretty sure in this Galaxy S2 screen shot it says 1.68g of free application space. Perhaps I'm wrong
    05-09-11 11:16 AM
    Read the rest of the thread, as this has already been explained.

Your 9700 does NOT have 256mb on-board memory, it has 32mb.
    The OS and apps are stored in the 256mb of Application Memory.

On-board (or Device Memory) and RAM (or Application Memory) are different and separate.

The 9900 has 768mb of Application Memory for the OS and apps, which is MORE than enough space.
    The 8gb Device Memory is for on-board media storage, in addition to an external memory card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    your wrong and confusing yourself.
    RAM is Random Access Memory- used and only capable of storage with power connected, it is a volatile storage medium therefore it cannot be used for storage of the O/S and apps- the 9900 has 768mb of RAM(my 9700 has 256mb)
    The on board device memory/storage is the devices hard drive if you like and is used for storage of apps and the o/s- the 9900 has 8gb available(again the 9700 has 256 available)
    Upto a further 32gb can be added for extra media using a media card.

So why only have 768mb allocated for storage of apps and the o/s thats the question i'm asking- is it a software restriction that only allows application storage upto the maximum ram the device has?
    Last edited by chunt69; 05-09-11 at 12:13 PM.
    05-09-11 11:52 AM
    your wrong and confusing yourself.
    RAM is Random Access Memory- used and only capable of storage with power connected, it is a volatile storage medium therefore it cannot be used for storage of the O/S and apps- the 9900 has 768mb of RAM(my 9700 has 256mb)
    The on board device memory/storage is the devices hard drive if you like and is used for storage of apps and the o/s- the 9900 has 8gb available(again the 9700 has 256 available)
    Upto a further 32gb can be added for extra media using a media card.

So why only have 768mb allocated for storage, thats the question i'm asking- is it a software restriction of 'OS 7'?
    OK, thanks for the technical correction. Now allow me to correct your spelling... your ≠ you're

Let's just forget about RAM for a moment and concentrate on what we do know about storage on current Bold devices, and how I believe storage will be allocated on the 9900...

Internal Media Storage (or Device Memory, as per MeterBerry)

9000 - 1gb
    9700 - 32mb
    9780 - 32mb
    9900 - 8gb

Internal OS/App Storage - (or Application Memory, as per MeterBerry)

9000 - 128mb
    9700 - 256mb
    9780 - 512mb
    9900 - 768mb

The point I was trying to make is that I believe the 9900's 8gb 'on-board memory' will be used for media storage only, and not for OS/App storage.

RIM have been notoriously bad at defining 'memory' on their devices in the past. They originally advertised the 9780 as being able to store apps on the media card.

Why they would include such a large amount of internal media storage when this can be achieved by using an external memory card, I have no idea, but according to the leaked Memory Screen pic, that's the way it looks to me.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it... until somebody please proves me wrong
    05-09-11 12:56 PM
    First off, strictly that's grammar you corrected but I won't be picky :-p
    Now we're on the the same page.
    I see wot your saying and I hope your wrong- if it is the case it just confirms that this is a stopgap before qnx comes to the table- unless the 8gb is future planning for qnx, you never know.
    I don't see the point in announcing such good spec and still keeping the pretty much the same app storage- small apps don't need the higher spec they all run fine on my old 9700.
    I'm just hoping its a beta thing and that they have moved the game on a bit as I really like the look of the new phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 03:49 PM
    I see wot your saying and I hope your wrong...
    Believe me, I hope I'm wrong too!

your ≠ you're x2
    05-09-11 03:54 PM
    The way I read it, it is the same as BB phones have been. I have a Tour now. It has 256MB of memory/RAM/whatever the heck you like to call it. The stuff that stores the apps and runs 'em. Then it has a 2GB media card. Apps can NOT be installed to the media card. It is there to store media and the OS seems to know what goes there and what does not.

So for the 9900/9930 which is spec'ed at 768 RAM and 8GB storage, I would think it would be the same deal, just more space for apps.

So a 3 fold improvement for me. That is good and plenty, for me.
    05-09-11 04:41 PM
    Excellent post by Phil_UK on each devices memory. Take a look at the internal media storage though: storage was dramatically reduced for the 9700 and 9780, no doubt due to the fact that external memory options like SD cards have been falling in price. But the Bold Touch has a huge increase. Wouldn't it be safe to say they're up to something, if not now, then later on in the life of the device?
    05-10-11 02:43 PM
    sorry for reopening this old thread

But now it's a lot more clear to me.

RIM does it's job very well to confusing a lot of people.

Have the 9900 now and was confused about the "RAM" and internal memory.

Instead of 8GB I have only 6,2GB. As the 9000 as 1GB internal but only ~850MB for pics etc. I new it "took" the "RAM" of the 1GB.

1,8GB less than the 8GB is a little bit much I think but anyway I don't care about that.

First - so it is really stupid marketing and RIM is still "slow".

The 9900 still has 512MB RAM - the GPU has 256. What do I care about the 256MB of the GPU. I am low on RAM. ;(

Also I think I got it now.

There is RAM and there is application memory. As I am comming from BB9000 and now seeing the really helpfull "application management" (thanks for the screenshot - even I had first translate that in my language ) it explains a lot.

As OS7 will probably have less apps as we all are hoping for - the internal RAM/application memory will be enough.

With the old BBworld version I saw only 5k apps instead of 15k apps for OS5. I think I have excluded the themes.

As I installed the new 3.xx appworld - I do not see how many apps are available - I think I know why that is the case >

Sadly my navigation app is not running with OS7. This is a huge disadvantage for me right now. Even more as the poor battery life (as it still get me through one workday)

Edit:
    PS: it is really easy to mix up RAM and app memory as the most apps are always active and using the same amount of RAM and app memory. The OS takes also a big part of the RAM for it self.
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 09-11-11 at 11:14 AM. Reason: don't want to create a new post ;)
    09-11-11 11:10 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD