when i first got my 9780 i had this double input issue. i re-installed the software, performed a clean reload using loader.exe on windows, even a reset to factory using terminal on my mac then i faced the music = hardware problem. i returned the device and got a new one..lol good luck man!!
    05-20-11 11:07 PM
    Pull up a chair and let me tell you my story, in a brief synopsis:
    Boy gets BB9700 in March 2010. BB9700 dies 3 weeks later. Boy calls T-Mobile. Boy gets new BB9700 (9700 no.2) Boy and BB9700 live a peaceful life for 1 year and 1 month. Boy upgrades 9700 to T-Mobile released OS 6. OS 6 is from the devil and Boy hates his BB9700 and ponders iPhone. Boy calls RIM and keeps going up, up, up and complains of OS 6. RIM gives Boy free Tech help to downgrade back to OS 5.0.0.714 ...... After downgrade BB9700 is not quite itself as the letter "A" on the keyboard goes haywire!!!! Boy calls T-Mobile to ask if they can help. T-Mobile says a "security wipe" should fix issue with keyboard. BB9700 will not do a "security wipe" and is stuck in continous wipe mode. T-Mobile sends Boy BB9700 no.3 .......BB9700 #3 dies after 9 days. The trackpad won't work. Boy calls T-Mobile AGAIN to tell them he is fed up and is going to get an iPhone, after 5 BlackBerry's!!!! To keep Boy as loyal customer, T-Mobile gives him a free upgrade to 9780. Boy is enamored with BB9780!!!!!! WHEW!!!! Try a security wipe to fix keyboard issue....
    05-21-11 02:02 AM
    05-21-11 04:26 AM
    Thank you for your replies, I do understand what you're saying.

How can you explain all these people who suddenly have thee studdering issue happen less when they upgrade to a new OS?
    05-21-11 07:25 AM

How can you explain all these people who suddenly have thee studdering issue happen less when they upgrade to a new OS?
    probably a placebo effect. when i first got my 9780, it had a slight stutter. now that i upgraded to .570 its also seems to be nearly gone now. but i have chalked it up to most likely being more diligent when typing, assuming it will stutter. therefore, my typing habits have changed, lessening it. i now type with faster, more firm key presses.
    highline likes this.
    05-21-11 07:30 AM

I could't help but wonder if you posted from your device.
    highline likes this.
    05-21-11 12:39 PM
    I could't help but wonder if you posted from your device.
    Yes he is... I think, but it doesn't indicate so
    Normally I'd fix the stuttering in my typing, but in this thread it seems appropriate to leave unfixed.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 05-21-11 at 12:46 PM.
    05-21-11 12:44 PM
    Hahaha yes, I am responding from my device. I totally missed that stutter :P

I never said the problem is completely gone, just that it seems to be happening less. I concede that I could be completely wrong. But, I've not noticed the problem reduce on any other leak
    05-21-11 01:13 PM
    highline, you are missing the point here. the problem totally has to do with hardware. the metal taps in the keypad membrane wear down and the raised "dimples" they sit in also wear. this creates bad contacts with the metal discs on the PCB which in turn create the extra letters.

you can try lowering the keyrate in the settings menu as your "software fix" but it wont do anything. im going to replace my keypad membrane on my 9700 later and take pics to show you. have you even ever replaced it or seen what im talking about??? apparently not since you would undertand what we mean by a hardware issue.
    dictoresno, no one is missing the point but you . Highline recognizes it's a hardware issue, but thank you for explaining it anyways. What highline is saying that something in the OS updates has alleviated most of the stuttering issue. This is something I (and apparently a few others) have noticed since the .546 releases. The point is that, at some level, software can help the user deal with the issue, even if it does stem from a hardware problem. Has highline ever indicated that this is not a hardware issue? No. Hence, you missed the point!
    highline likes this.
    05-21-11 02:37 PM
    Hahaha yes, I am responding from my device. I totally missed that stutter :P

I never said the problem is completely gone, just that it seems to be happening less. I concede that I could be completely wrong. But, I've not noticed the problem reduce on any other leak
    It was too funny not to mention, sorry. ^^

Do know I share theb stutter pain here, so I too would love a software fix, as unlikely it is.
    highline likes this.
    05-21-11 07:29 PM
    dictoresno, no one is missing the point but you . Highline recognizes it's a hardware issue, but thank you for explaining it anyways. What highline is saying that something in the OS updates has alleviated most of the stuttering issue. This is something I (and apparently a few others) have noticed since the .546 releases. The point is that, at some level, software can help the user deal with the issue, even if it does stem from a hardware problem. Has highline ever indicated that this is not a hardware issue? No. Hence, you missed the point!
    if this was the case, then why are phones being physically replaced as opposed to just getting a software update? i agree some hardware issues can be managed by software fixes, but not fully. in this case, i still think its placebo effect. just like when other people say the OS is "snappier" or the browser is faster. theres no true benchmark tests, they are all opinions, not fact and are subjective.
    05-21-11 07:58 PM
    It was too funny not to mention, sorry. ^^
    No, no, no, you got me fair and square
    Last edited by highline; 05-21-11 at 08:11 PM.
    05-21-11 08:08 PM
    if this was the case, then why are phones being physically replaced as opposed to just getting a software update? i agree some hardware issues can be managed by software fixes, but not fully. in this case, i still think its placebo effect. just like when other people say the OS is "snappier" or the browser is faster. theres no true benchmark tests, they are all opinions, not fact and are subjective.
    Well, to that I would say you could be correct. I would also say that I've done quite a few OS upgrades with my 9780 and this is the first one that I've seen a receding of the stuttering.

I understand it is a hardware issue, but software controls the hardware. The software should be able to be programed to realize that when the hardware portion signals that it should make an "A" that making four "A"'s really quickly is incorrect.

I don't see why this isn't possible. Then again, I'm no programmer.
    05-21-11 08:10 PM
    Well, to that I would say you could be correct. I would also say that I've done quite a few OS upgrades with my 9780 and this is the first one that I've seen a receding of the stuttering.

I understand it is a hardware issue, but software controls the hardware. The software should be able to be programed to realize that when the hardware portion signals that it should make an "A" that making four "A"'s really quickly is incorrect.

I don't see why this isn't possible. Then again, I'm no programmer.
    if you see the pics i posted of what the underside of the keypad and membrane look like, you will see how its caused.

even a slight misalignment of the metal contacts or dirt/grime under the dome, will cause a misreading of the keypress. even if you turn your "software" down by lowering the keypress rate, it will STILL insert 3-4 letters at a time. i tried this with my 9700 when it was putting in 4 spaces for each one press of the space bar. obviously, they key rate "software" fix wasnt working. and that was with every recent OS, even the most recent one. so i cant say it was helping much.
    highline likes this.
    05-21-11 08:40 PM
    Let me put it this way: If your remote control key, ley's say 1, fails, do you expect a softwar update to fix it?

How about the car's door stops locking? Could an update get it locking again?

I hope you get the picture and please don't think I'm being rude.
    Care to revise your statement in light of os .650?
    08-29-11 06:45 PM
    Care to revise your statement in light of os .650?
    +1

650 cured the stutter completely. Might sound bonkers but its true. It may have been a hardware problem at first, but a software fix is much more cost effective and easily accessible to current 9780 owners when compared to a total recall of "faulty" devices. I'm sure RIM must have lost a bomb continuously replacing 9780's because of the keyboard stutter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 01:04 PM
    +1

650 cured the stutter completely. Might sound bonkers but its true. It may have been a hardware problem at first, but a software fix is much more cost effective and easily accessible to current 9780 owners when compared to a total recall of "faulty" devices. I'm sure RIM must have lost a bomb continuously replacing 9780's because of the keyboard stutter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Completely being the operative word. I haven't had a single stutter since I installed it two days ago.

Before that, I had at least two or three per SENTENCE.

Thanks RIM!
    09-01-11 05:09 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD