Hi everyone -

I'm growing frustrated with this minor problem. I heard from a friend of mine (who has Verizon) that she updated her software over a month ago to 5.0 and I wanted to do the same. I downloaded the BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac and plugged in my phone to update. The software updated, but the newest version it says is available (and it therefore installed) is 4.6.0.304. Online it says the newest version is 5.0 but for some reason it won't register it on the Desktop Manager... WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?? Is AT&T not allowing an upgrade or what???

Thanks in advance for the help
    06-30-10 10:24 PM
    5.0 is available on the official Blackberry site & from some carriers, but AT&T hasn't released it yet...I've been waiting on that myself.
    Carriers release new OS at different times- why, I haven't a clue. AT&T seems to be one of the slowest to make a new OS available. You CAN get 5.0 from the Blackberry site or another carrier, but then it negates your warranty with AT&T should you need to replace your berry. My berry is refurbished, so my warranty expired months ago, & I've given up on waiting for AT&T. I'm going to update mine from the Blackberry site this weekend.
    06-30-10 10:58 PM
    My warranty expired long ago, so I'll probably do the same. It looks like you need to do this with a PC if you want to update straight from the site... is that true? If so, I'll just do it at work. Thanks for the info
    07-01-10 12:06 AM
    Updating your OS does not void your warranty. And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AT&T to support 5.0 on the 9000.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JasW; 07-01-10 at 03:56 AM.
    07-01-10 03:54 AM
    Updating your OS does not void your warranty. And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AT&T to support 5.0 on the 9000.

Agred. I doubt AT&T releases 5.0 for the 9000 at all.

I'd recommend 5.0.0.681 (stickied at the top of this forum). It has worked very well for me.
    07-01-10 05:29 AM
    @ smhotstuff Where did you ever hear upgrading your OS to an unofficial version voids your warranty because I can tell you that is completely false.
    07-01-10 07:37 AM
    If you want OS5, don't even hesitate to install another carrier's OS. With the exception of the minor inconvenience of getting around the vendor protection, it's ultimately no different than if AT&T released it themselves. I also recommend .681 and, as people have already mentioned, it doesn't void your warranty. I recently returned a phone with no OS at all (I wiped it just to be safe since I didn't know their policy on upgraded OSes) and they couldn't have cared less.
    07-01-10 09:17 AM
    Thanks everyone for the info that it doesn't void the warranty.
    And yes, Bimmerphile, the upgrade from Blackberry's site requires a pc- that's why I have to wait for the weekend, I don't own a pc so I have to borrow time on someone else's
    07-01-10 11:16 AM
    Okay, just tried to upgrade from the BlackBerry site on my work PC... and of course the only one it'll give me is the one I already have installed!!!

smhotstuff, looks like we'll both have to bpgui's advice and look at the sticky for 5.0.0.681.

Frustrating!
    07-01-10 11:22 AM
    I just posted a similar question in the 681 sticky. I am having issues with Pandora,but they cannot help because the OS is not "official" they only work with the 4.6 OS for BOLD, my 681 is considered a leak, so they cannot help with my issues. so until ATT releases it we are helpless to these fixes.
    07-01-10 12:24 PM
    What's your issue with Pandora? I use it on 5.0.0.681 and it works fine. Maybe we can figure that problem out.
    07-01-10 12:29 PM
    Just downloaded from the sticky.... I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    07-01-10 12:43 PM
    What's your issue with Pandora? I use it on 5.0.0.681 and it works fine. Maybe we can figure that problem out.
    I get a ton of freezes. can't find the problem if it is my phone, my OS or the app itself,Pandora will not trouble shoot phones that use leaked OS's. only OFFICIAL carrier releases, so any 5.0 is not going to be addresses=d by them.it freezes at arbitrary times, the worst being the last 2sec. of a song. it will lock
    up at the beginning of a song. freezes when I disconnect from aux or blutooth. doesn't matter if it is WI_FI or not. I live in an area with full signal most of the day. sounds like the phone but cannot prove itg and this did happen when I had 4.6. Slacker is acting up also. I reloaded the OS and the apps,same thing. actually, 4.6 was a little worse,especially booting the apps. on 681 that improved.i am stmped how to proceed.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 07-02-10 at 12:09 PM.
    07-02-10 12:04 PM
    I don't use Pandora, but Slacker works fine for me. The version of Slacker that I'm using is 3.1.92. I always use it on the mobile network, never on Wi-Fi.
    07-02-10 12:09 PM
    I have no problem using pandora on 5.0.0.681

I would have assumed that your problem was due to lack of strong signal, but you've already ruled that out. I'm stumped

07-02-10 12:14 PM
    I just installed the leak version .681 and Pandora works perfectly. Maybe you need to re-install the OS again?
    07-02-10 02:09 PM
    Don't reinstall the OS, reinstall the app. Did you simply upgrade to 5.0 or wipe and reinstall? You'll have a lot better luck if you wipe on at least your first installation of 5.0 and reinstall your apps. Most of them have different versions for 5.0 support. Also, I doubt Marc from Pandora would ever tell you they won't help you if they can. He's always been extremely helpful around here in my experience, knowing full well I haven't used an official AT&T OS version in ages.
    07-02-10 02:57 PM
    wiped and reinstalled twice. and a new updated 1.1.3.5 Pandora. the 681 was a real improvement. was good all of a sudden, bad. and the real killer is I am just six days past warranty on my BOLD! all wi-fi works well. when i go to my gym ,it is an AT&T
    hot spot, full 3g signal, give Pandora a real hard time, slacker also. then when I turn on my S 9"s will also freeze it. it works without wi-fi but not very well lately. and I live in S.Florida full signal all day. my phone works flawlessly, not e-mail issue, no syncing issues, no dropped call issues, so it can't be the radio. i was in contact with Pandora and cause it is 5.0 they won't help.so, I am stumped as to the sporadic outages, even froze at home last week, a song ended and I realized , the music never came back, sitting in the cradle on wi-fi. any tech geeks out here in Blackberry land?

edit: the people at Pandora are extremely helpful, but I see their point , the engineering dept will not address unofficial builds, i can respect that. the Pandora staff is great. if you are running 4.6 and have issue don't hesitate ,they answer all queries.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 07-02-10 at 03:59 PM.
    07-02-10 03:56 PM
    but I thought .681 was an official build, just not an official build for AT&T.
    07-02-10 04:33 PM
    but I thought .681 was an official build, just not an official build for AT&T.
    has to be a carrier official, so being on AT&T we are all doomed. they don't release crap! so 4.6 but not 5.ontil the 6.0 drops thne may
    be we will see some releases i hope. edit: i wish Pandora was a Blackberry app!
    07-02-10 05:31 PM
    sitting right here now, Pandora just timed out retrieving music.I have wi-fi and full bars in my apt.
    07-02-10 05:35 PM
    Man, that's bizarre. I ran Pandora on my Bold all the time before the whole phone crapped out last month. I was running .681 but I don't remember the Pandora version I was running. Can you stream media over wifi using other apps?
    07-03-10 11:52 PM
    yes, i think it is this phone. Nobex streams well until i walk outside , then it loses the stream, usually can't get it back on 3g even with full bars. Pandora works only when it wants to, so i think it is the phone because i don't think the network could be that buggy. good 3g 99% of the time. Slacker will do the same thing ,could play well for a week, or sometimes and hour. I am a week past the warranty, so i think when the captivate drops it is Android time. hope it works better. I got rid of my Sirius cause I was streaming more than using the satellite, so I really need this to work, but don't want to pay for it until I know it is reliable enough. updated the Pandora to the latest 1.1.3.5, not better.
    07-04-10 10:29 AM
    Will installing a non-AT&T OS void the warranty?

07-04-10 12:01 PM
    Will installing a non-AT&T OS void the warranty?

No, it will not.
    07-04-10 12:13 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD