One of the biggest flaws on the previous blackberries, IMO. I thought I read there was a new silent button.

If there is a dedicated silent or vibrate button (like Treo), and speed is way, way up, and browser is decent -- this could be a good device. All it will lack (still) is a touchscreen.
    05-13-08 09:09 AM
    One of the biggest flaws on the previous blackberries, IMO. I thought I read there was a new silent button.

If there is a dedicated silent or vibrate button (like Treo), and speed is way, way up, and browser is decent -- this could be a good device. All it will lack (still) is a touchscreen.
    You can set your "q" button to do the same thing in the speed dial list. Holding it down switches from one profile to another. The "a" button does the same thing for locking phone. I believe you can set the buttons to your liking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 12:04 PM
    Press and hold Q it will change profile to vibrate.
    Press and hold Q again and it will go back to the previous setting.

01-06-09 12:46 PM
    And I have been unable to find anywhere a solution to change those 2!
    01-06-09 12:49 PM
    You can set your "q" button to do the same thing in the speed dial list. Holding it down switches from one profile to another. The "a" button does the same thing for locking phone. I believe you can set the buttons to your liking.

thanks for this great tip. learning something new every day from this site....
    01-06-09 01:17 PM
    And I have been unable to find anywhere a solution to change those 2!
    I don't think you can, but you can replace them - :P (By replace I mean overwrite them by setting a speed dial)
    01-06-09 01:26 PM
    Holy crap I didn't know this whole q thing... This is awesome

01-06-09 02:38 PM
    Got me.. hello "q", nice to meet you
    01-06-09 03:11 PM
    Would be much nicer to hold a button that is accessible when holstered. Anyone figure a way to do that? The volume up/down button would have been perfect. All my motorolas did that! what gives RIM?
    07-26-09 09:22 PM
    Would be much nicer to hold a button that is accessible when holstered. Anyone figure a way to do that? The volume up/down button would have been perfect. All my motorolas did that! what gives RIM?
    Have you tried the mute button? That might work, I'm unable to test it right now though.
    07-26-09 10:27 PM
    Welcome to ?BlackBerry world, there are still a lot of things you should learn.
    07-26-09 10:39 PM

There are all sorts of keyboard shortcuts if you turn off dialing from the homescreen. Like "u" is calculator, for example.
    07-26-09 11:38 PM
    Wow, I've had my Bold a few months now and I didn't know the Q trick!
    07-26-09 11:43 PM
    "Q" for quiet.

Here's a huge list of blackberry shortcuts-
    BlackBerry 101 - Beginners Guide to Keyboard Shortcuts | CrackBerry.com

Once you disable Dial From Home Screen you get to use some very handy home screen shortcuts such as "M" for messages or "N" for BBM.

A useful way to remind yourself which buttons are for which shortcuts is to open the main menu and look at the text for the currently selected icon. Programs with home screen shortcuts have an underlined letter within the text. For example, Live messenger has the text "Windows Live Messenger (X)". In this case, the "X" button opens Live messenger from the home screen.
    07-27-09 12:15 AM
    Pretty Awesome, then again being a BlackBerry owner is pretty awesome!
    07-28-09 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD