another comical thread. first opff apps are overrated. you can only use so many. having the i-toy, droid charge and new 9930, IMHO the BB has far better productivity apps than either of the other.

also, I don't get why people don't see how much of a difference having a keyboard and a touchscreen makes. It makes the device MUCH faster now by being able to combine the trackpad and touchscreen.

before i got the phone, i was actually hoping to be able to lock the touchscreen. but once ypou start using it, you can alternate between the trackpad and touchscreen nicely.
    Rezervoir likes this.
    08-25-11 10:59 AM
    another comical thread. first opff apps are overrated. you can only use so many. having the i-toy, droid charge and new 9930, IMHO the BB has far better productivity apps than either of the other.
    Maybe im missing something, I would appreciate if you could recommend some of these productivity apps for BB that make it better to work with that an android or ios device. Because For the life of me I cant think of anything thats easier to do on a BB. Word, excel, even pdf's are a pain and the most important app for international business is non existent - skype.
    08-25-11 11:15 AM
    My windows 7 computer is so nice and new but it works just the same and the UI is the same except for different looking icons......sigh.
    08-25-11 11:37 AM
    "Apps are overrated" - oh man I've read some dumb statements in my time but this....

I've bashed iPhones for various reasons but apps is not one of them. IPhone app bashers always roll out the same straw man argument: "sure there's millions of apps but most of them are fart apps," as if the iPhone fan's argument is that iPhones are great because you can download 2 million apps on them. Of COURSE most of those apps are frivolous or pointless, but even when you take the fart apps and the games away and compare BB and iPhone productivity/business apps side to side, the iPhone still wins hands down. There are simply more to choose from and when they're available for both the iPhone version is virtually always much better, case in point, Pocket Informant, which is just beautiful on iPhone and really benefits from the large retina screen area.

And look at banking apps. It would benefit me immensely to be able to deposit the hundreds of checks I process per week with my phone, but alas the Chase phone deposit app is not available on BB and even if it was it would be useless with the 99xx's non-AF camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HD123 likes this.
    08-25-11 12:51 PM
    I don't get why people don't see how much of a difference having a keyboard and a touchscreen makes.
    If I had to guess I'd say because not everyone requires the same thing. I know, shocking.

I'm a female who with long nails. Unless I trim my thumbs shorter then all my other nails, doing things on my iphone are much faster then doing things on the torch.
    08-25-11 12:56 PM
    What exactly do you want RIM to do? The darn thing has a touchscreen! Yes, the UI is similar but that's what makes it a BlackBerry. Have you noticed that HTC has the SenseUI and Samsung have TouchWiz? These are their signature UIs that set them apart from others and make them HTC, Samsung, BlackBerry.

And let's not forget that the 9930 is a BlackBerry - it's meant to work. I left IOS and android because there was too much customization (and usless apps/games). Personally, I just want a phone that works, works well and works fast.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
    Yea..-wait what? I don't know much about android but I know BBOS is way more customizable than iOS and that's the beauty of it IMO. Yeah iOS has come far since I left it: Folders(oh wow) and wait for it... Custom wallpapers!!(Jesus christ) and to think you had to Jailbreak your iPhone before to get that haha.

Anyways, it's pretty cool getting to manage your files exactly the way you want, FULLY customizing notifications (led light+BeBuzz = <3), shortcuts to pretty much everything you do, etc..

It lets you make the device your own if that makes any sense unlike iOS where it tells you what you can and can't do and even worst.. having to rely on friggin' itunes even for the simplest tasks such as file moving between laptop - phone.. uhh Bluetooth anyone?
    08-25-11 12:57 PM
    then why are you on the 9930 thread if the phone is not for you? we are not talking about the torch. you are lost.

If I had to guess I'd say because not everyone requires the same thing. I know, shocking.

I'm a female who with long nails. Unless I trim my thumbs shorter then all my other nails, doing things on my iphone are much faster then doing things on the torch.
    08-25-11 01:01 PM
    there are tons of integration of calendar, task, to do, email, sms apps. not all businesses need a giant screen for pdfs. if you do, then the 9930 is not for you.

Maybe im missing something, I would appreciate if you could recommend some of these productivity apps for BB that make it better to work with that an android or ios device. Because For the life of me I cant think of anything thats easier to do on a BB. Word, excel, even pdf's are a pain and the most important app for international business is non existent - skype.
    08-25-11 01:03 PM
    What one person considers stale, I consider refined.
    jfmanzo likes this.
    08-25-11 01:07 PM
    and to think, you just topped it. its clear that this chase check deposit app is the most popular app on the market that everyoine needs. dude, this phone is not for you.... move on.

"Apps are overrated" - oh man I've read some dumb statements in my time but this....

There are simply more to choose from and when they're available for both the iPhone version is virtually always much better, case in point, Pocket Informant, which is just beautiful on iPhone and really benefits from the large retina screen area.

And look at banking apps. It would benefit me immensely to be able to deposit the hundreds of checks I process per week with my phone, but alas the Chase phone deposit app is not available on BB and even if it was it would be useless with the 99xx's non-AF camera.
    i have pocket informant on my itouch, droid charge and blackberry. It works great on the BB. you clearly want a full screen. again, move on.

and i was speaking to all the duplicate apps that ALL smartphones have, including blackberries. just because a phone has access to two million apps, doesn't make the phone anymore productive.

the only real problem with apps for this phone is not enough developers have made them compatiable with OS7
    Rezervoir likes this.
    08-25-11 01:19 PM

How about the 98xx Torch.Better screen(3.7") with AF camera?
    08-25-11 01:25 PM
    Come on keyboard rocks!

08-25-11 01:27 PM
    Yea..-wait what? I don't know much about android but I know BBOS is way more customizable than iOS and that's the beauty of it IMO. Yeah iOS has come far since I left it: Folders(oh wow) and wait for it... Custom wallpapers!!(Jesus christ) and to think you had to Jailbreak your iPhone before to get that haha.

Anyways, it's pretty cool getting to manage your files exactly the way you want, FULLY customizing notifications (led light+BeBuzz = <3), shortcuts to pretty much everything you do, etc..

It lets you make the device your own if that makes any sense unlike iOS where it tells you what you can and can't do and even worst.. having to rely on friggin' itunes even for the simplest tasks such as file moving between laptop - phone.. uhh Bluetooth anyone?
    Apple is moving away from iTunes dependence with iOS5.

pri79269 likes this.
    08-25-11 01:27 PM
    I tried the Droid 3 and after the cool factor wore off I was left with a device with unbelievable amounts of uninstallable bloatware, thing weighed half a pound and 6 hours max on the battery. I came running back to RIM.
    08-25-11 01:29 PM
    I tried the Droid 3 and after the cool factor wore off I was left with a device with unbelievable amounts of uninstallable bloatware, thing weighed half a pound and 6 hours max on the battery. I came running back to RIM.
    You could almost have you're own Thread made up of people who tried and gave up on the Droid 3.
    08-25-11 01:34 PM

I've bashed iPhones for various reasons but apps is not one of them. IPhone app bashers always roll out the same straw man argument: "sure there's millions of apps but most of them are fart apps," as if the iPhone fan's argument is that iPhones are great because you can download 2 million apps on them. Of COURSE most of those apps are frivolous or pointless, but even when you take the fart apps and the games away and compare BB and iPhone productivity/business apps side to side, the iPhone still wins hands down. There are simply more to choose from and when they're available for both the iPhone version is virtually always much better, case in point, Pocket Informant, which is just beautiful on iPhone and really benefits from the large retina screen area.

Until last year Citibank had a BB app which was one of the "must have apps" for me. Unfortunately they decided to discontinue the app at the beginning of the year. Now they just have the banking app for Iphone and Android devices.
    08-25-11 01:40 PM
    And man I need a chase app!

08-25-11 01:42 PM
    No surprises here. All one need do is read the spec sheet. Somewhat surprised about all the reported issues. Seems more than usual. The ui is the same tho as expected. What's the surprise?
    08-25-11 01:54 PM
    And man I need a chase app!

Who needs an app? A simple browser link works great.
    08-25-11 01:57 PM

I purchased the iP4 for my wife because she thought she wanted it. She tried it and actually hated it because she couldn't type on the screen with her nails, and she couldn't get use to the phone because if her nails, coming from a 9700, she ended up ditching the iP4 and got a 9800. I'm just letting you know from my wife's experience with long nails.
    08-25-11 03:13 PM
    I purchased the iP4 for my wife because she thought she wanted it. She tried it and actually hated it because she couldn't type on the screen with her nails, and she couldn't get use to the phone because if her nails, coming from a 9700, she ended up ditching the iP4 and got a 9800. I'm just letting you know from my wife's experience with long nails.
    Tsk...women are nuts with their nails....let's face it they are nothing more than nicely painted weapons the purpose of which is to scratch men's eyes out!

08-25-11 03:26 PM

Well said!! But the proof is in the pudding .... what is that bank balance again. I think even Kevin knows the end is in sight which is why he is no longer putting all his eggs in one basket.
    08-25-11 09:16 PM
    Does the OP have ideas for a better design?
    08-25-11 09:21 PM
    you should never set the bar for an OS based on the experience you have had with one device or from one of our carriers back home. Im sure you do have a lot of "bloatware" and so on, if you dont like it buy an unlocked phone next time. I cant comment on your ''droids'' battery life, is it a motorla? I dont even know. All I know is that my unlocked HTC Incredible S is the fastest and best phone I have ever owned on all levels. (and my wife just yelled at me because we have 8 phones in the house). Fast, light, better battery than my torch and no bloatware or added software what so ever. you get what you pay for. Everything just works.
    08-26-11 06:06 AM
    there are tons of integration of calendar, task, to do, email, sms apps. not all businesses need a giant screen for pdfs. if you do, then the 9930 is not for you.
    Lets agree to disagree on what productive means then. At no point were we discussing screen sizes but I guess you had no choice but to throw that in there.

But I am sure you would agree that having access to all my hundreds or thousands of emails on my IMAP server is probably of great importance to BB's target market right? Even though you can with other devices, the Almighty BB business targeted handset doesn't do it. (unless you specifically have your email hosting done by google). Nail in the coffin.
    08-26-11 06:14 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD