Recently my phone stopped functioning, so i did a battery pull to restart it. Once i restarted it, i got an error, the Uncaught exception: java.lang. NullPointerException and my sms folder is gone. How do I go about fixing this?

battery pulls have not worked at all. Thanks.
    07-23-09 06:09 PM
    Open your general "Messages" folder. Press the BB Button (Menu), go to Options.

Select "General Options", scroll down to SMS and E-Mail Inboxes. Change the Option to "Separate".

That should do it.
    07-23-09 06:14 PM
    I have tried to separate the folders as well, and it still didnt work. The SMS folder is completely gone from the icons, and if i go to the view folders in the messages section it gives me the error again.
    07-23-09 06:20 PM
    Could be a corrupted OS. Have you updated lately?
    07-23-09 06:55 PM
    I have not updated lately, and I am not really sure how to do so?

Do you know how to update the system? and how does this affect the current settings or contacts etc i have on my phone?

I am new with the blackberry updating etc. thanks.
    07-23-09 11:31 PM
    Recently my phone stopped functioning, so i did a battery pull to restart it. Once i restarted it, i got an error, the Uncaught exception: java.lang. NullPointerException and my sms folder is gone. How do I go about fixing this?

What theme are you using? Try using the original theme. I know that I have lost folders when I used some themes that I have downloaded. I hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 11:44 PM
    I am using the silver one, i have tried using both this one and the original one, and nothing is changing.

When i go to the messages folder, view folders, sms inbox, i get the error message.
    07-23-09 11:51 PM
    you should re-install the OS then, every way doesn't seem to work for your device.
    07-24-09 12:08 AM
    Can you walk me through how to do that? Does reinstalling the OS clear out my contacts etc?
    07-24-09 11:00 AM

Same thing happened to my new bold. It would take several battery pulls to correct the problem. I would have updated the os, but it was also overheating something terrible; so I took it and got a new one.
    07-24-09 12:46 PM
    Can you walk me through how to do that? Does reinstalling the OS clear out my contacts etc?
    Yes but you can do a backup of your device data beforehand via the Desktop Manager program on your PC. So, you won't really lose all your information after reinstalling the OS.
    07-24-09 12:47 PM
    Try a few more battery pulls before doing the upgrade. This time leave the battery out for a few minutes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 02:09 PM
    hi!

i have a same problem, recently my text messages hang, i turned off my phone and pull out the battery to restart it. once i restarted it. i got an error, Uncaught exception: index 40 >= 40 . and then my sms folder is gone. how do i go about fixing this?

please help me ;(
    05-27-13 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD