hey all

came from the storm and im tyring to figure out how to change a contact's sms alert tone. i cannot for the life of me figure out how to set a special tone for my girlfriend so that whenever she sends me a text i know its her.

ive tried the whole profile-exception thing and it DOES set the ringtone but when it comes to the sms tone it uses the regular alert. its pretty straight forward with the storm so am i missing something here?

help!
    07-24-09 12:19 AM
    you cant actually set sms txt tones for each contact only one sms tone for all!

sorry
    07-24-09 12:32 AM
    When you create a new profile for your girlfriend, make sure that you use her song in all of the slots that you want that song to play (ex. SMS, MMS, Messages, etc.). Once you save the new profile create a new exception. When you click the "from" slot it will give an option to "add name." Pick hers because it will import her information directly from your address book. Under "use profile" choose the name of the new profile that you just created for her, and then make sure that the custom phone tune is set to the song that you'd like to hear when she calls and you'll be good to go. If the "custom phone tune" is different than the song that you chose for her in her profile, it won't play correctly.
    07-24-09 12:33 AM

sorry
    Yes you can. You just create a new profile, new exception, and you're good to go. I have different ring tones for each of my contacts so that I know who is calling, etc.
    Last edited by JayKayBee; 07-24-09 at 12:40 AM.
    07-24-09 12:34 AM
    Yes you can. You just create a new profile, new exception, and you're good to go. I have different ring tones for each of my contacts so that I know who is calling, etc.
    never worked with the curve 8330 (thats one reason why i switched to the palm pre)
    07-24-09 12:36 AM
    I used to have a Curve and it worked fine for mine. I've always had custom tunes per contact. My Bold is exactly like my Curve was.
    07-24-09 12:38 AM
    When you create a new profile for your girlfriend, make sure that you use her song in all of the slots that you want that song to play (ex. SMS, MMS, Messages, etc.). Once you save the new profile create a new exception. When you click the "from" slot it will give an option to "add name." Pick hers because it will import her information directly from your address book. Under "use profile" choose the name of the new profile that you just created for her, and then make sure that the custom phone tune is set to the song that you'd like to hear when she calls and you'll be good to go. If the "custom phone tune" is different than the song that you chose for her in her profile, it won't play correctly.

Thank you! This was exactly what I was wanting to do.
    07-24-09 01:26 AM

sorry
    awh that sucks
    07-24-09 02:12 AM
    awh that sucks
    Just use the instructions in post #3 and your set. I just did it. Thanks for the tip.
    07-24-09 03:31 AM
    not sure if that can be done
    07-24-09 09:52 AM
    not sure if that can be done
    See post 3
    07-24-09 09:54 AM
    Wow, I didn't even think about doing that. Good to know!!
    07-24-09 10:25 AM
    Hello I've got a problem I don't know how to set sms tone alert on blackberry 8900 Curve
    please help
    07-26-09 12:32 AM
    Hello I've got a problem I don't know how to set sms tone alert on blackberry 8900 Curve
    please help
    I don't have a Curve but I would assume that it's exactly like the Bold. Try the steps in post #3 and if it doesn't work then search the forums for information... I'm sure you'll find something to help you. This place is full of information if you just take the time to search for it.
    07-26-09 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD