iam new bold owner 1 week now and i love it.but i seem to get a weak signal at my house lots big fir trees around. so my call quality is pretty bad have had this problem with other phones but the bold by far is the worst. is there anything i can do to help this ????? (no iam not cutting down trees)
    07-27-09 07:43 AM
    Do you have wi-fi in your house? It would be a simple fix.
    07-27-09 08:19 AM
    Do you have wi-fi in your house? It would be a simple fix.
    Not with AT&T it wouldn't; we don't have UMA like T-Mobile does.

iam new bold owner 1 week now and i love it.but i seem to get a weak signal at my house lots big fir trees around. so my call quality is pretty bad have had this problem with other phones but the bold by far is the worst. is there anything i can do to help this ????? (no iam not cutting down trees)
    You could try adding a signal booster. I had a similar issue and installed a zBoost YX510. The antenna is up in my attic and the base unit is on the first floor of my home. I get a pretty good signal now throughout the home.
    07-27-09 12:33 PM
    hey jason what does a unit like that cost...
    07-27-09 08:09 PM
    Well, you can try upgrading to a newer OS (threads are stickied at the top of this forum). I didn't see any difference in signal strengths, but my main areas are strong 3G areas. Others have said this helped them a lot.
    07-27-09 08:40 PM
    hey jason what does a unit like that cost...
    NewEgg has the one I mentioned for $279.99 right now. You can get the smaller car-mounted units for a bit less and the larger "business-class" models for a bit more.

Newegg.com - zBoost YX510PCS/CEL White Dual-Band cell phone signal booster extends - Cell Phone Accessories
    07-28-09 09:51 AM
    do they work?
    Last edited by samosa; 07-28-09 at 08:45 PM.
    07-28-09 08:41 PM
    Mine does, though honestly, your mileage may vary.

• If you live in a ranch-style home you will not likely see much of an improvement, if the device works at all, as you need signal separation between the base unit and the external antenna.
    • If you have little-to-no signal anywhere within 75ft of the center of your home (or the most used part where you plan to place the base unit) then it will probably not work all that well.
    • If you fear the thought of running wires through your walls, drilling holes in your home, and possibly mounting what amounts to a lightning rod on the outside of your home, this is probably not for you.

That said, if you are considering this and none of the above apply to you, I'd suggest walking around your house to see where you get the best signal. Make sure you check the attic, garage, etc. If you find a place where you get a good signal and can make a clear call from your phone then a booster will likely improve reception throughout your house.
    07-29-09 09:38 AM
    I have a ranch and have had reasonably good results. I put the antenna on the chimney on a small mount I fabricated (only way to get adequate vertical distance between antenna and base). In order to minimize drilling holes I popped the wire through the A/C ducting in the attic and snaked it out a vent that's fairly concealed. It was a pain in the a** but time well spent as I had squat for signal from ANY provider.

Of course you also might find a simple OS update helps enough to get you by.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD