yeah, tried the sim card flip and tried removal about a week ago, still many dropped calls since then. I have to think that this being a problem with the tour and the 9650 bold is related to them having cdma and gsm, every other blackberry I've had always had a great signal and call quality. I wish this thing was strictly cdma.
    I have to completly agree with you on the signal in the world phones. My storm 2 doesn't compare to my old 8330 curve at all. I never had issues making calls with the 8330, but since getting the 9550 with both CDMA and GSM radios I have dropped calls and no signal issues I never experienced before. It seams like either the decease the power of the CDMA radio or the antenna is different. At first I thought they decreased the power because of the larger screen of the storm, but this is happening with the 9650 also. I just wish I had the phone quality of the curve in my storm
    06-16-10 08:44 PM
    i have one more day of my 30 days and im going back to sprint store tomorow . the battery door is so loose on the replacement i got yesterday and also the trackpad is loose and the menu button squeeks when pressed a certain way.. i should of just kept the bold got the day it came out , i didnt have ne of these issues , all i was replacing for was signal issues and battery issues. but i guess there part of the phone since this phone is the same way. sux . 500 dollar phone ha
    06-16-10 09:21 PM
    you will never ever see -60dbm on a CDMA phone...it just dont work that way..

-80 is really about as close to full strength as you will get without your hair frizzing!
    100% wrong. CDMA goes much higher than -80 and even higher than -60.
    06-17-10 03:11 AM
    I have had signal fluctuations and constant polling on my VZN 9650 and from the start I did not allow the "global" mode and I flipped my sim. After a week of being tired of my battery going to 60% by noon, I called and actually got a pretty good guy on the phone. He told me I was nuts. Put the sim in the right way, set it to global and be done! In all honesty I did a *228 update and the battery pull first. Then pulled the battery, flipped the sim back to the right way, and when it rebooted I said yes to global mode. After it rebooted, and set itself, I now have the 3g revA (four dots next to 3g) on the display, and the polling and fluctuation have stopped every 5 seconds. Don't know what to tell ya, but it worked the way they said it should. I also have the new .732 update installed. Just wanted to share my story with you all.
    06-17-10 11:51 AM
    My signal was flying all over the place, too. That darn symbol up in the right corner was flickering from one thing to the other.

I did an update to .7** before doing anything with the phone, flipped the sim card, and it seems to being a very stable signal now.... always at least a couple bars on 3g.

I'm not sure when the signal became so stable (immediately? a day later?), but it sure seems to have sorted itself out. Maybe my 8330 had a stronger signal... I think it did... but not sure.

I'm also unsure about which of the variables "fixed" this issue.

It ain't bad, and the phone seems pretty darn cool to me!.. even the battery life.

It lacks only a Dropbox app... which is coming in a couple months.
    06-17-10 12:12 PM
    Yeah I own the tour and I don't need to waste my money on a tour2/bold that has the same problems.

That is not an upgrade!
    06-17-10 12:22 PM
    dang it, double post to problems.
    06-17-10 12:24 PM
    If the main reason for having VZW is the network, what's the point of using a device that apparently can't even hold a strong signal and take advantage of the network?
    06-17-10 03:27 PM
    Are people with the fluctuating signal dropping a lot of calls?
    06-17-10 04:06 PM
    I dropped 2 more calls today, and that is on second bold. Sent it back, what a shame the thing couldn't hold a good singal like the 5 other sprint phones in my house. They are overnighting me an EVO, I'll see how that works out, they said they have already swapped some bolds with signal issues and the evo's aren't giving any signal issues.
    06-17-10 07:20 PM
    I dropped 2 more calls today, and that is on second bold. Sent it back, what a shame the thing couldn't hold a good singal like the 5 other sprint phones in my house. They are overnighting me an EVO, I'll see how that works out, they said they have already swapped some bolds with signal issues and the evo's aren't giving any signal issues.
    Reception Problems - Android Forums
    Who regrets switching to Sprint for the EVO?

They're blowing smoke up your ***...
    06-17-10 07:24 PM
    I'll be sure and let you know how it goes buddy. The guys at work stand next to me and talk on their EVOs while my bold teeters on zero bars and drops calls. They can "blow all the smoke" they want, Sprint is a great comany and treats my business good. Hey, if they want to send me an EVO after I'm clearly past my 30 days trial, that's fine with me. I think they are trying to help my problem. It's good business. If that don't work they'll send me something else.
    06-17-10 07:32 PM
    Nobody said anything about Sprint being a good or bad company, nor do I really care. That wasn't the point.

Also swapping bold hardware because of reception problems is probably doing nothing but wasting shipping costs at least 90% of the time... I bet way, way, way less than 10% of those swaps are even a radio hardware problem... They're doing the easiest fix they can think of which basically isn't going to help in most cases.
    Last edited by papped; 06-17-10 at 07:38 PM.
    06-17-10 07:35 PM
    BTW, I do still love BBs and think they are great phones. I am just in a predicament where the flagship doesn't work well for me, and I don't want to use my upgrade to get an 8530, so I'm going to try this. I have no doubt I will be back on a BB one day. Don't worry, be happy!
    06-17-10 07:36 PM
    I'll be sure and let you know how it goes buddy. The guys at work stand next to me and talk on their EVOs while my bold teeters on zero bars and drops calls. They can "blow all the smoke" they want, Sprint is a great comany and treats my business good. Hey, if they want to send me an EVO after I'm clearly past my 30 days trial, that's fine with me. I think they are trying to help my problem. It's good business. If that don't work they'll send me something else.

Like others have stated, other devices are having issues as well..

But I strongly ask you to check up on the issues the Evo is currently having. Check the Android section....... Screen lifting up, glue failing. light around screen, etc..
    06-17-10 07:47 PM
    ^^ yep, to clarify, generally speaking CS reps are uninformed and/or lie through their teeth. If they personally have not heard of returns for a particular reason on a particular phone, then it must not exist.

Putting faith in them is basically like buying magic beans. There are some informed reps out there, but very few and far between....

They're generally opt for a handset swap because they have no idea what to do about problem X. Saying that X handset has no problems with reception is a lie, especially considering the Evo itself has had widespread coverage on wifi reception problems already... Name a phone and I can find multiple reports of reception problems (assuming it's not obscure to the point where no one is talking about it)...
    06-17-10 07:49 PM
    Are people with the fluctuating signal dropping a lot of calls?
    Only had it 2 days. Signal strength is low by at least 2 bars. So far 3 dropped calls. I never remember dropped calls being an issue with the 8330 or the 8530. Its a phone. Shouldn't signal and call quality be paramount?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 07:57 PM
    ^^ What OS are you running?

Also do the sim flip and set to 1XEV for the mobile network, as well as update the PRL.
    06-17-10 07:58 PM
    Give it up Pap, everyone has tried the sim flip, the 1XEV settings, update PRL, latest version of OS, swapped phones, etc. etc.
    So you got lucky and don't have any problems, most people don't. There are obviously a few out there that are giving problems and they are looking for real answers. EVO having wifi issues......that shouldn't bother me, my wifi on the bold was terrible compared to 8530 and 8350i. If you were dropping calls EVERY DAY, you would be trying to figure it out also.
    06-17-10 10:11 PM
    OK

IMO sounds like a issue to take up with the carriers instead of a user only passing on info he has learned as well.

Call the people that bill you and have them fix the problem.
    06-17-10 10:36 PM
    Everyone's tried all of that stuff? Somehow I doubt it... Give up trying to help people resolve signal issues? Sure, I have no problems doing that.
    06-17-10 11:23 PM
    my signal is all over the place....even with a network extender 4 ft away from me the phone seems to spend half its time jumping towers and my service indicator bounces from 1-5 bars constantly....most annoying. have called *228 and all, think its just a bum radio file.
    06-18-10 06:18 AM
    Everyone's tried all of that stuff? Somehow I doubt it... Give up trying to help people resolve signal issues? Sure, I have no problems doing that.
    Don't do that! I used your advice. Flipped the sim and updated prl and using Sprint .699. Uh now I don't know if it'll help but I appreciate the effort.

06-18-10 08:22 AM
    my signal is all over the place....even with a network extender 4 ft away from me the phone seems to spend half its time jumping towers and my service indicator bounces from 1-5 bars constantly....most annoying. have called *228 and all, think its just a bum radio file.
    If its a bum radio file, can we use a hybrid os or something?

06-18-10 08:24 AM
    One other thing to try is setting the network to "Home Only" in the mobile network options

If you want a different radio code you can swap the radio file for whichever OS you didn't try and re-flash your phone (.699 , .732 or the original Sprint OS which I don't remember the # for)
    Last edited by papped; 06-18-10 at 11:16 AM.
    06-18-10 10:58 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD