So far, the only issue I have with my Bold is that the signal strength seems to be very volatile, and many times I have 0 bars (still 3G though). I tried the SIM card trick, and it didn't do anything different for me.

Any ideas??
    06-13-10 09:25 PM
    this does seem to be a bit of an issue with the 9650..if you do a search you will see many folks have reported that... so its not YOUR phone...
    hopefully the radio will be addressed in sim os update
    06-14-10 06:26 AM
    Do the bars match your actual single strenght? My storm will show 1 bar and 3g but the strenght is at ~80 which is good. I see s lot of these complaints lately even with the android devices. I just got rid of the incredible and it did the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 06:39 AM
    Is this a sprint and verizon thing?

06-14-10 08:02 AM
    idk why my phone with full signal at bottom of tower will show -80 . u would think it would be like -60 or something around there. maybe this is the problem phone signal not set to get better then -80

06-14-10 11:35 AM
    Is this a sprint and verizon thing?

Its a 9600 series thing
    06-14-10 11:43 AM
    I received my Bold three days ago and the signal strength as been HORRIBLE. I would think it is the area that I live in, but my wife also has a Sprint phone and has a strong signal. I spent an hour on the phone with CS and tech rep and they finally said they could nothing else and I would have to replace the device. This after I had 7 replacements with the 8350i. Getting sick of this. I don't know if it's worth the effort.
    06-14-10 12:29 PM
    I wouldn't get a replacement ... it will probably be the same thing. I was in Mexico about 2 weeks ago. My wife's old curve was able to get service at the resort we were out. I had a tour at the time that wouldn't.

That being said. My phone has had 5 bars pretty much all day today.
    06-14-10 02:13 PM
    How have RIM/VZW not yet addressed this if it was an issue with the Tour?
    06-14-10 03:54 PM
    you will never ever see -60dbm on a CDMA phone...it just dont work that way..

-80 is really about as close to full strength as you will get without your hair frizzing!

idk why my phone with full signal at bottom of tower will show -80 . u would think it would be like -60 or something around there. maybe this is the problem phone signal not set to get better then -80

06-14-10 04:53 PM
    I'm still having major signal issues/dropped calls with mine. I'm in the same boat, I have 5 other sprint phones in the family that never drop calls and consistently have a better signal. I'm so mad because other than that the phone is so good. And its not a bad handset, you can go to the sprint store and look at all the demo units and the 9650 will have 2 bars less than all the rest, its crazy. I'm dropping calls in places I've used my sprint service and other blackberries for years, including my office, it sucks.
    06-14-10 06:46 PM
    So is the Incredible having similar issues? (hate to ask that here)

For me, my new Bold seems to wobble on signal strength... but it is certainly noticeable compared my old Curve 8330.

Oddly, in a building with notoriously bad cell signal, I was able to use my Bold with the same reliability (as iffy as it is) as that old Curve!

Kinda confusing
    06-14-10 07:31 PM
    Oddly enough, against what everyone in this post is saying, my Bold has had better strength and more connectivity than my Droid..

just my 2c
    06-14-10 07:37 PM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I called a VZW rep and he had me try a few things. He said if it continued to get a new replacement phone within the 30 days.
    06-14-10 07:46 PM
    Sprint is sending me out a replacement tomorrow. I doubt is was just an issue with my phone, but they wanted to try a new one since I dropped so many calls (they can see them on their computer) and my 30 days are almost up. I hope I have better luck with the new one.
    06-14-10 08:05 PM
    So far, the only issue I have with my Bold is that the signal strength seems to be very volatile, and many times I have 0 bars (still 3G though). I tried the SIM card trick, and it didn't do anything different for me.

Any ideas??

What is a "Sim Card Trick "
    06-14-10 09:15 PM
    Just curious, has any of you not tried the sim removal or flip fix to see if any diff? Some folks it has helped including me. Just asking.
    I felt the full removal of the sim was a better test, but some do the flip. Then reboot. I know one thing my sims staying out. Worked 4 me.
    Last edited by cbreze; 06-14-10 at 09:24 PM.
    06-14-10 09:21 PM
    yeah, tried the sim card flip and tried removal about a week ago, still many dropped calls since then. I have to think that this being a problem with the tour and the 9650 bold is related to them having cdma and gsm, every other blackberry I've had always had a great signal and call quality. I wish this thing was strictly cdma.
    06-14-10 10:02 PM
    if you go to the tour forum there are a number of users experiencing the exact same problems. looks like RIM really screwed something up with the tour/bold.
    06-14-10 10:10 PM
    Sprint swapped my phone out yesterdy, got a brand new one. Already dropped 2 calls, 1 yesterday and 1 today. And it's a little laggy and my other one wasn't. My 30 days are now up since yesterday was my last day, so they basically said if this one doesn't work I'm stuck with it or have to go through the manufacturer's warranty. What a joke this thing turned out to be.
    06-16-10 09:51 AM
    if you go to the tour forum there are a number of users experiencing the exact same problems. looks like RIM really screwed something up with the tour/bold.
    That f,sure.
    9600 series is bad design throw together topping that off with unstable OS.
    Rim knows how to keep its cdma customers happy though.
    (Build it they will come)
    06-16-10 10:05 AM
    I have been reading these Bold forums the past few days trying to confirm in my mind that this would be my next device. But now seeing all these issues with signal strength, I'm really starting to second guess this. Reading of people having to do the "sim card flip trick" or whatever to get a better signal boggles my mind. It takes me back to when I first got my Storm and all the tricks people were posting to improve the clicking of the screen. That was almost excusable seeing it was such a new hardware design. But the latest issues with the Tour/Bold and the signal strength and flipping the sim are just inexcusable. Come on RIM - get it together. This device should work perfectly out of the box, period, especially with how long it took them to release it.

06-16-10 10:12 AM
    Just curious, has any of you not tried the sim removal or flip fix to see if any diff? Some folks it has helped including me. Just asking.
    I felt the full removal of the sim was a better test, but some do the flip. Then reboot. I know one thing my sims staying out. Worked 4 me.
    I took mine out a few days ago, no dropped calls at all but the signal meter still fluxuates a lot. I'm in the OuterBanx right now where the signal is not the best anyways. But still has been working fine.
    06-16-10 10:19 AM

Come on RIM - get it together. This device should work perfectly out of the box, period, especially with how long it took them to release it.

Work perfectly out of the box hmm Never going to happen.

Current 9630 issues
    Build quality
    Radio
    OS

The 9650 upgrade
    Build quality <--- should have been fixed
    Radio <-- should have been fixed
    OS <-- Will it ever be fixed

Clearly the 9650 isn't a solid upgrade from 9630 , by the looks of it 9630 may have a more solid case build
    06-16-10 10:32 AM
    That f,sure.
    9600 series is bad design throw together topping that off with unstable OS.
    Rim knows how to keep its cdma customers happy though.
    (Build it they will come)
    RIM doesn't give a **** about CDMA users, that's for sure.
    06-16-10 03:38 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD