Ok...so I'm still debating the switch only because of the price of AT&T's plans. I've had Sprint for 7 years now and it is horrible. However, they recently changed their plans and they are very cheap. Right now, I have the Blackberry Unlimited Everything for $70 (web surfing, picture mail, messaging, calls to any cellphone provider, etc.) and 450 minutes to call landlines w/insurance ($7), so a total of about $80 per month.

If I switch to AT&T, 900 minutes ($60), unlimited text ($20), 2GB Blackberry ($25), Insurance ($5), will run me about $110 every month.

As many may know, SPRINT SUCKS! The service is horrible! I got a Blackberry 9650 about 3 weeks ago (everyone was saying all the problems was with my previous cell phone who was just a regular flip phone), and there have been no changes. I have so many drop calls, the phone roams outside, when I do talk, it echoes and sounds like the person is deep in a ditch. Mind you, I live in a major city and my house is by the sidewalk. I have had nothing but horrible service with Sprint for all these years. The phone itself runs very slow, freezes, and just messes up. In the 3 weeks, I've had to get two replacements (to no improvement).

I know that all carriers have problems, but Sprint just changed their plans to dirt cheap because of all the service problems. I've heard AT&T, who claims they have the best coverage, also has drop calls and so/so service. Also, I'm not sure the 2GB will be enough for me monthly (I listen to music-pandora/youtube) and use the net heavily.

If I have a family plan, it would be alot cheaper but my mom, brother and I live in different states and we all want to keep our current numbers (all different area codes). Is there a way to have a plan with phones with different area codes?

My question is: should I switch to AT&T and get a Blackberry 9700 (and get a more expensive plan) and possibly better service? Or should I stick with Sprint?

I need alot of help deciding what's best b/c I'm not sure! Thanks!
    07-11-10 06:47 PM
    You should check the coverage maps. Tmobile has the 9700 and is much cheaper than AT&T.
    07-11-10 06:54 PM
    Where my mom lives, there is no T-Mobile, so if I visit her, my phone would roam. So I can't get T-Mobile.
    07-11-10 07:04 PM
    If she was wifi you can call over that on Tmobile.
    07-11-10 07:05 PM
    Like D March said, check to see who will give you the best service. Talk to your friends and neighbors.
    Everyone complains ab out AT&T but I have been extremly pleased in SW Florida.
    But where you are, it might now suit you. Same for T-Mo, they work better in certain places Vs others.
    GSM network is definetly the way to go IMO because it allows you to jump ship with your device easily (after unlocking the unit for low fee).
    The 9800 aka Slider is also coming to AT&T then T-Mo in a few months. Good looking phone from what I've seen.
    07-11-10 07:06 PM
    I spoke to a lot of AT&T users and they all say they don't have a problem. I know that all carries have their issues, but Sprint's problems are never resolved. No matter how many times I go to the store or call customer service, there is no change.

I live in NY City and checked AT&T's coverage online and of course they said they have good coverage. So I want to hear from actual users and to see if its really worth it to switch over to them and pay much more.
    07-11-10 07:23 PM
    At&t has many issues that are well known...very congested network, some are lucky...and their CS sucks, which is well known as well. Honestly T-Mobile is a good carrier and you and your mom could get a couple wireless routers and use the UMA feature being there is no coverage in your moms area, which will work fantastic. I don't get any service in my area, but use the wifi/UMA feature and works really well.

I pay 170 bucks for 5 lines and 1000 minute plan and unlimited texting, data on 2 phones and insurance...hard to beat that IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 08:57 PM
    T-Mobile may be the way to go. What about Verizon? I never seem to have problems with their network.
    07-11-10 09:24 PM
    I switched from Sprint to ATT in May. Spotty coverage, mediocre customer service, and an issue of my home address being in roam were the reasons. My 9700 on ATT is a good fit. Better coverage in my area, good srvice when I need it, and a sense that I have a much more capable network make the cost increase worth it.

07-11-10 09:28 PM
    You should check the coverage maps. Tmobile has the 9700 and is much cheaper than AT&T.
    Definetly check the map's, where do you live? I'm with Sprint, travel extensively & in 5 yrs. have seen the roaming triangle once, twice at the most. Good luck.
    07-11-10 09:30 PM
    Definetly check the map's, where do you live? I'm with Sprint, travel extensively & in 5 yrs. have seen the roaming triangle once, twice at the most. Good luck.
    I live in NY City. The phone roams all the time. And when it does that, I can't even make calls. It just drops when I dial. When I talk to people, it echoes and I feel like they're deep down in a ditch because they sound like they're far away. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks and have had 2 replacements with no change. Like I said in the original post, people kept telling me it was my previous phone (flip phone) causing the problems. Now I have a BB, the problem still persists. It freezes, runs slow and doesn't respond quickly. I heard that he BB's freeze/run slow so I'm not sure if its the phone or network.
    07-11-10 09:49 PM
    I've had AT&T/Cingular for 5 years or so. I've never had a problem. I have gotten one dropped call and I believe it was because I was going through a tunnel

07-11-10 09:56 PM
    Wow, I have relative's in Syracuse, & more in Utica, coverage is great, but coming in at La Guardia, it was very spotty, a switch might be in order for you.
    07-11-10 10:05 PM
    I drive for a living. I'm all over the state of New York. If you are looking for zero drop calls, you better go to Verizon. I've been with them for a year now and I'm very happy with the service. I had T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.

One more thing. Why are you paying $20.00 for text messaging? Don't laugh, but 3 months ago, I cancel my text messaging plan and i also ask Verizon to BLOCK me from receiving and sending text. I download IM+ Lite ( it's free) from the BlackBerry App World. I Told all my friends and family to either call, BBM, email, AIM, Google talk, Yahoo messenger, everything but text. I am paying $69.99 for unlimited calls, $29.99 for unlimited data. I'm NOT paying for texting anymore. 95% of my contacts have a SMART PHONE. STOP PAYING FOR TEXT.
    07-11-10 10:32 PM
    I drive for a living. I'm all over the state of New York. If you are looking for zero drop calls, you better go to Verizon. I've been with them for a year now and I'm very happy with the service. I had T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.

One more thing. Why are you paying $20.00 for text messaging? Don't laugh, but 3 months ago, I cancel my text messaging plan and i also ask Verizon to BLOCK me from receiving and sending text. I download IM+ Lite ( it's free) from the BlackBerry App World. I Told all my friends and family to either call, BBM, email, AIM, Google talk, Yahoo messenger, everything but text. I am paying $69.99 for unlimited calls, $29.99 for unlimited data. I'm NOT paying for texting anymore. 95% of my contacts have a SMART PHONE. STOP PAYING FOR TEXT.
    I wish I could. Most of the people I talk to have dumbphones. But I am smart and stuck with my Alltel plan and get $7.99 400 SMS/MMS + unlimited F&F/M2M SMS/MMS. It's a great deal!
    07-12-10 12:35 AM
    I have had Sprint for 6 years now and never, ever had a problem with getting a good signal strength with the "dumbphones" I have had. It wasn't until recently when we upgraded to the bb curve that I noticed the weak coverage and the roaming. Which kinda sucks. So I know I can chalk this up to the phone. I roam where I never roamed before and I rarely ever get a full 5 bars of signal, usually 3 at the most. I really don't understand the drastic change with the signal and roaming. Good luck to ya!!
    07-12-10 06:33 AM
    I have had Sprint for 6 years now and never, ever had a problem with getting a good signal strength with the "dumbphones" I have had. It wasn't until recently when we upgraded to the bb curve that I noticed the weak coverage and the roaming. Which kinda sucks. So I know I can chalk this up to the phone. I roam where I never roamed before and I rarely ever get a full 5 bars of signal, usually 3 at the most. I really don't understand the drastic change with the signal and roaming. Good luck to ya!!
    You're every lucky! I've had nothing but problems with them. You just can't beat the plans they have right now. Everything else sucks.

07-12-10 07:35 AM

With Sprint everything is unlimited (except the 450 minutes to call landlines). If I switch to ATT, there is a 2gb max data and if I don't have unlimited text, then I'm sure I will go over the 2gb using the BBM, web, listening to music and other data apps). Right now I have the 9650 for about a month and already used 780,000 KB of data and I'm a newbie. When I get to the addiction stage, I'm sure I will go well over the 2gb.

07-12-10 07:41 AM
    Yes I believe Sprint is the cheapest right now. No arguing that point! I just got my first bill since I upgraded and added my husband and son. With tax and fees it was $152. Not too bad and that's with a $10 monthly credit as a compensation Sprint gave me. I wish I could get less minutes because we don't even put a dent in the 1500 minutes we get a month, not with this any mobile anytime plan. Good luck making your decision.
    07-12-10 04:45 PM
    @drgiggles: You can be on a family plan with Sprint and keep your numbers in different areas.

But if you are having that much trouble with Sprint service near your home, then AT&T or another carrier may be the best choice for you.

@ncmomgoinczy: I have the same plan, and like your family, we only use a small fraction of the 1500 minutes. But isn't it great not having to worry about it! And also the unlimited text messages and data!
    07-12-10 05:31 PM
    @drgiggles: You can be on a family plan with Sprint and keep your numbers in different areas.

But if you are having that much trouble with Sprint service near your home, then AT&T or another carrier may be the best choice for you.

@ncmomgoinczy: I have the same plan, and like your family, we only use a small fraction of the 1500 minutes. But isn't it great not having to worry about it! And also the unlimited text messages and data!
    Yeah it's a very good deal and I just called the other day and will now be recieving a monthly student discount of 23%.
    07-23-10 05:52 PM
    Wow I kinda feel bad for u guys in the states who are paying so much for cellphones. Here in Canada there is no such thing as dropped calls or no service unless ur out of a city which happens in a rare occasion. And plus the most we pay here for one smartphone plan is $80 which is what i'm paying now and it wouldve been cheaper if it were bundled (a deal or a promo price) but unfortunately its not offered by my carrier. And the least is around $50. As for the Coverage here its is excellent I've never had low service except when i'm really far away from a city while on a road trip. But when i'm in a city I've never had anything below 3 bars. Not rubbing it in anyones face but i'm glad its this great in Canada xD

Last edited by luqman24; 07-24-10 at 01:54 AM.
    07-24-10 01:40 AM
    Ok...so I'm still debating the switch only because of the price of AT&T's plans. I've had Sprint for 7 years now and it is horrible. However, they recently changed their plans and they are very cheap. Right now, I have the Blackberry Unlimited Everything for $70 (web surfing, picture mail, messaging, calls to any cellphone provider, etc.) and 450 minutes to call landlines w/insurance ($7), so a total of about $80 per month.

If I switch to AT&T, 900 minutes ($60), unlimited text ($20), 2GB Blackberry ($25), Insurance ($5), will run me about $110 every month.

As many may know, SPRINT SUCKS! The service is horrible! I got a Blackberry 9650 about 3 weeks ago (everyone was saying all the problems was with my previous cell phone who was just a regular flip phone), and there have been no changes. I have so many drop calls, the phone roams outside, when I do talk, it echoes and sounds like the person is deep in a ditch. Mind you, I live in a major city and my house is by the sidewalk. I have had nothing but horrible service with Sprint for all these years. The phone itself runs very slow, freezes, and just messes up. In the 3 weeks, I've had to get two replacements (to no improvement).

I know that all carriers have problems, but Sprint just changed their plans to dirt cheap because of all the service problems. I've heard AT&T, who claims they have the best coverage, also has drop calls and so/so service. Also, I'm not sure the 2GB will be enough for me monthly (I listen to music-pandora/youtube) and use the net heavily.

If I have a family plan, it would be alot cheaper but my mom, brother and I live in different states and we all want to keep our current numbers (all different area codes). Is there a way to have a plan with phones with different area codes?

My question is: should I switch to AT&T and get a Blackberry 9700 (and get a more expensive plan) and possibly better service? Or should I stick with Sprint?

I need alot of help deciding what's best b/c I'm not sure! Thanks!
    Definitely worth a shot. You have nothing to lose. You have 30 days to cancel and return the phone if it's not working out for you. I suggest leaving your sprint service on and testing at&t before canceling.
    07-24-10 01:53 AM
    It doesn't matter what any of us say because we are not you. We do not live with you, work with you, or travel with you so our results will be different. Try AT&T for 30 days. If not satisfied you can return for a full refund. It's the only way to see if it's a good fit FOR YOU.
    07-24-10 07:32 AM
    Personally I have had at&t for over 10 years and never had a problem with them but like others have said try it out and see if they work better for you. I know when I upgraded my phone from my bold 9000 to a Samsung captivate if I could not keep my unlimited data I would have switched myself. I was looking at both T-Mobile and sprint but I did get to keep my unlimited data and I actually get better service over my bold 9000. I would have gotten a new bb however I did not like the 9700 because of the size.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    07-24-10 10:56 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD