I am thinking of purchasing an unlocked Bold on ebay (I have AT&T) here in the states but the wait is killing me Can anyone offer advice pro or con? or should I just wait until AT&T stops milking the blasted I-Phone and releases the bold?
    08-27-08 05:21 PM
    It should work just fine but it will cost more and you will not have any warranty in the US. You will also have a phone that has a non-US carrier sticker on it for ever.
    08-27-08 05:28 PM
    Hi lisbeth, and welcome to CB.

You might actually find this thread, which has just been posted of some help to you... it should certainly be cheaper than buying off eBay!
    08-27-08 05:41 PM
    I am thinking of purchasing an unlocked Bold on ebay (I have AT&T) here in the states but the wait is killing me Can anyone offer advice pro or con? or should I just wait until AT&T stops milking the blasted I-Phone and releases the bold?
    The prices on ebay have been insane, and the early OS shipments have not exactly covered themselves in glory for reliability. ATT is holding release for a good reason, it seems they had/have reliability problems with the network so you might benefit by waiting for the software fixes to be rolled out. I'm sure the delay has nothing to do with iPhone because they have different target markets.

Apart from that, buying 'unlocked' means you're buying used at premium new price. I would want it in factory-sealed box and get it unlocked myself so I know where it has been and what has been loaded onto it. [I don't think there is much BB malware around, but this would be a great opportunity for a Bad Guy to drop a few special programs into a Berry and get all your contacts and personal info. The device even has report-home capability built in and users in too much of a hurry to check carefully. What more could a hacker want?]

Unless you really must have Bold immediately (that's 'must' as in life depends on it) I would be tempted to wait a week or two. I'm also waiting here in UK for my preferred carrier to release so I know exactly how you feel, and it takes real guts to sit it out.
    08-27-08 06:30 PM
    I would definitely wait on AT&T release the Bold. Quite a few people are having problems with it right now, and you never really know what you're going to get with E-bay
    08-27-08 06:35 PM
    Hey I feel ya... I also don't wanna wait... but from the looks of it, AT&T actually may be delaying this for a good reason (i.e. fixing radio issues). As such, AT&T might get a special Bold for itself that meets its standards... so I'd wait for an AT&T-branded Bold... it shouldn't be much longer.
    08-27-08 07:30 PM
    i doubt the hardware of an at&t bold will be different. i'm sure their OS will have different fixes though. and as we all know, you can use an OS from any carrier on ur bold. on my 8320 from t mobile, which i use on rogers, i have the newest OS which i think is from a Singapore carrier because they have the newest OS. my provider rogers, hasn't released a new OS in a long while.

once i get the bold from rogers, then when at&t does release it, i am sure i would install the at&t OS because it would be newer than what rogers has.

by the way if you prefer to get the bold mailed to you brand new and sealed directly form ROGERS... heres a way to do it.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/us-...ry-bold-65942/

or just find a canadian that doesn't buying it for u and mailing it unopened to you.
    at this moment, i wouldn't recommend ebay because some people have been selling pre released models without the buyer knowing. plus if the pin is already registered somewhere else, it can be a hassle.

by the way, some people report issues with bold and 3g on att and some don't.
    Last edited by avmsam; 08-28-08 at 01:54 AM.
    08-27-08 08:50 PM
    You will also have a phone that has a non-US carrier sticker on it for ever.
    not true, thanks to about $10 and a few minutes of your time (cnn.cn)
    08-28-08 06:25 AM
    Mine works 100% perfectly both in canada and on T-mobile in LA(Go there quite often for business)
    Is your bold register in Canada and US or you getting prepaid 3G sim cards?
    08-28-08 06:38 AM
    Hey I feel ya... I also don't wanna wait... but from the looks of it, AT&T actually may be delaying this for a good reason (i.e. fixing radio issues). As such, AT&T might get a special Bold for itself that meets its standards... so I'd wait for an AT&T-branded Bold... it shouldn't be much longer.
    ATT is working on THEIR network... RIM is NOT changing the hardware in the phone

I just picked mine up from Roger's in Toronto... Unlocked on the ATT Network and absolutely loving every minute of using this thing. It is simply incredible. Fast, sturdy, stable and and incredible screen on a mobile device.

Like an HDTV in the palm of your hand...

If u can get your hands on it, get it
    08-28-08 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD