Like set it up with my home wireless to automatically use it when available. Would it use less battery than using the verizon network? Would it constantly running drain the battery faster?

Also which is generally faster, using wifi or the verizon network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by himynameiscody; 07-23-11 at 12:52 AM.
    07-23-11 12:29 AM
    I have mine set-up for home and leave it on and still get a full day (at least) of battery life on the device. The only time I change it is if I'm extending the battery life as much as possible or if I use another Wi-Fi hotspot.
    07-23-11 03:35 AM
    +1 leaving wifi on doesn't eat up that much battery life.
    07-23-11 04:54 AM
    You can also use an app like wifi pro or smart wifi to turn on wifi when in range of a signal and turn off when out of range. That's what I do. If you are not within range, you should turn it off to save battery. Every bit counts!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-23-11 05:40 AM
    You can also use an app like wifi pro or smart wifi to turn on wifi when in range of a signal and turn off when out of range. That's what I do. If you are not within range, you should turn it off to save battery. Every bit counts!

I do not really understand the logic of those apps. The app will check to see if wifi is in range and then turn wifi on or off depending what it senses. Well the app needs to use the battery to do it's job and keep searching for a wifi signal. So either way you are using battery cycles, may as well just leave wifi on then.
    07-23-11 07:32 AM
    From what I understand, those programs link your saved hotspots to a specific cell tower. When you are connected to one of those towers, WiFi is then turned on. It doesn't actually turn on your WiFi to constantly check for a signal.
    07-23-11 07:40 AM
    I do not really understand the logic of those apps. The app will check to see if wifi is in range and then turn wifi on or off depending what it senses. Well the app needs to use the battery to do it's job and keep searching for a wifi signal. So either way you are using battery cycles, may as well just leave wifi on then.

Agreed it uses battery to search for cell towers, but I don't believe it's as much as just keeping wifi on all the time.

07-23-11 07:41 AM
    From what I understand, those programs link your saved hotspots to a specific cell tower. When you are connected to one of those towers, WiFi is then turned on. It doesn't actually turn on your WiFi to constantly check for a signal.
    I use smart wi-fi and it turns on based on the cell tower. It does not turn on wi-fi to search for signal, so no extra power is used until near the wi-fi. It's not perfect, I sometimes eat near my house but out of wi-fi range and it turns on wi-fi based on cell tower.

Overall I would recommend it.
    07-23-11 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD