I am currently an owner of a Blackberry Curve and I have been on the Blackberry boat ever since the first Storm came out (about 3 or 4 years ago). I absolutely love my Blackberry but now that I am eligible for an upgrade, the Droids/iPhones are really grabbing my attention with all the extra bells and whistles. Getting to the point, should I get this new Blackberry? Is it THAT big of an upgrade from say, a Blackberry Bold 9650? I went and played with the 9930 in the store yesterday and loved it, though I'm still on the fence. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys
    08-31-11 04:09 PM
    I think you have to answer that question - that should be based on your needs and what you want the device for. Both BB and Droids have their pros and cons. My best advice is to try them both out at the store.
    08-31-11 04:12 PM
    Another way I should've put this is: How are you guys enjoying the 9900/9930?
    08-31-11 04:15 PM
    I think you have to answer that question - that should be based on your needs and what you want the device for. Both BB and Droids have their pros and cons. My best advice is to try them both out at the store.

Seconded! Go to verizon and try them all out. Verizon because they have all three models you've alluded to having interest.
    08-31-11 04:18 PM
    Love the device, it's a great upgrade. But what do you use it for? Do you need access to TONS of apps? If so don't go with the 9930 as you can see the apps are kinda limited
    08-31-11 04:27 PM
    I can't tell you how happy I am with my 9900. My brother also got rid of his iphone4 for the 9900 and hasn't looked back...repeatedly saying how much better this phone is. ZERO lag, incredible screen and most importantly, the keyboard is freakin fantastic.

try out a few phones, but i assure you, 1 week with the 9900/9930 and you won't look at anything else.
    08-31-11 04:28 PM
    Get the next gen. iPhone.
    08-31-11 04:29 PM
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am not a heavy app person by no means. However, I am a heavy texter and rely on phone calls. When I went to the store and messed around with the device, the first thing I noticed was the keyboard in its amazing goodness. I think I will end up going with the 9900. I'm afraid if I jumped ship to another platform I'd miss my BB. (this would probably happen)
    Last edited by Eleer; 08-31-11 at 04:36 PM.
    08-31-11 04:33 PM
    If you like BlackBerrys, the new Bold is unquestionably the king of all BlackBerrys and on par with any phone out there. Unless you require specific apps that are not on BB OS7.

My opinion... Android has the best navigation app. On average the worst battery management of the top 4 (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone). Lots of choices but perhaps too many if you want consistency from device to device. If you like to tinker endlessly a good choice.

iPhone has the best apps support. Great media features. Very consistent if you buy in to iTunes and that whole environment. Pretty good to moderate battery life. Apple's way or the highway unless you jailbreak.

BlackBerry has best keyboard, good/great battery life, excels at messaging and notfications (LED too). More reliable in certain ways. For example during the recent earthquake on the East coast BlackBerry services worked while the carriers' base services where clogged and unavailable (voice, SMS). Also the BB environment is very secure. Though most consumers care little about that.

Windows phone has a beautiful interface. Promised to have the best support for Microsoft products like Office and xBox.

I am a BlackBerry guy. A physical keyboard is fairly important to me. Apps... eh.. I use a few. I love how the BB OS works. The speed of the new OS7 phones is nice. The 9900/9930 oozes high end device. Smooth as can be. RIM addressed most all the shortcomings of the older BB products while keeping the BB experience true.

RIM totally redeemed themselves with the new phones and the Bold especially, to me. It really convinces me that the QNX stuff will be awesome. With their backs to the wall they delivered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by southlander; 08-31-11 at 04:43 PM.
    08-31-11 04:33 PM
    "I absolutely love the Blackberry"
    "I am not a heavy app person"
    "Heavy texter and rely on phone calls"
    ....I think you answered your own question. I have tried several other phones out of curiosity and excitement at the time, but once that curiosity and excitement wore off, I was always trying to make my new phone, like a BB and ended up frustrated with each one. Eventually going back to BB. It all depends on what you think is important or your needs in a smartphone. If I were you, I'd try and get a used Droid/IP4 for a good price to try out as a daily driver or trade with someone for awhile just to get the curiosity out of the way. For me, it was always a week and it was either keep it or sell it. Save your upgrade for the phone you want. Only you can answer that question.
    08-31-11 05:05 PM
    I moved from my Blackberry Pearl then Torch to DroidX about 4 months ago because everyone was telling me how great the Droids were and all. I have never been an app heavy person, all I do is text, tweet, and the occasional call. It was kind of cool to have all the apps and games but after a month I was over it, and by 4 months I was totally over the whole phone so I decided to come back to Blackberry and by the Bold outright.

This is just me though Good luck with whatever you choose!
    08-31-11 05:11 PM
    I tried the Droid 3 for about a month. The amount of uninstallable bloatware was ridiculous. Gorilla Glass is nice but the thing weighed like half a pound. Battery life was abysmal. Sold it a month later and got the 9930.
    08-31-11 05:50 PM
    I was a blackberry user for years then I went to Android for a few years and now I have the 9930. Android is a great platform but has its downfalls like bb does. My reason for switching was how small the print is on a Android device. I use my phone all day and I am tired of having to look close at my device to see a contact. I am losing some features but gaining the most important one to me on my new bold.

08-31-11 06:01 PM
    Went from a Curve to a Samsung Fascinate and now have an iPhone4. I'm not into having 500 apps on my phone and the reason I went with IP4 was I listen to books and music all day. I have really missed the BB form factor and the keyboard. Soon as I get someone to buy this IP4 I will get a 9930!
    08-31-11 06:29 PM
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am not a heavy app person by no means. However, I am a heavy texter and rely on phone calls. When I went to the store and messed around with the device, the first thing I noticed was the keyboard in its amazing goodness. I think I will end up going with the 9900. I'm afraid if I jumped ship to another platform I'd miss my BB. (this would probably happen)
    sounds like u would love the new bold
    08-31-11 07:28 PM
    Ok, so let me get this straight, your having a tough time deciding between a Cadillac, a Dodge, or a Ford?

coolraghav likes this.
    08-31-11 07:37 PM
    Ok, so let me get this straight, your having a tough time deciding between a Cadillac, a Dodge, or a Ford?

No. You're on CrackBerry - quick heads-up.
    coolraghav likes this.
    08-31-11 07:55 PM
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I am going 9930!!! Appreciate all of your help, without the advice/opinions, I'd still be on the fence.
    08-31-11 11:08 PM
    I am currently an owner of a Blackberry Curve and I have been on the Blackberry boat ever since the first Storm came out (about 3 or 4 years ago). I absolutely love my Blackberry but now that I am eligible for an upgrade, the Droids/iPhones are really grabbing my attention with all the extra bells and whistles. Getting to the point, should I get this new Blackberry? Is it THAT big of an upgrade from say, a Blackberry Bold 9650? I went and played with the 9930 in the store yesterday and loved it, though I'm still on the fence. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys
    I used to be an iphone user but since i started my relationship with BB, i totally felt in love with it, especially the 9900. the keyboard is one of the biggest thing i love about 9900 then the speed.
    08-31-11 11:24 PM
    No. You're on CrackBerry - quick heads-up.
    I think he was trying for a metaphor when it comes to browsing a new car it's the same with browsing for a new phone.
    08-31-11 11:24 PM
    I moved from my Blackberry Pearl then Torch to DroidX about 4 months ago because everyone was telling me how great the Droids were and all. I have never been an app heavy person, all I do is text, tweet, and the occasional call. It was kind of cool to have all the apps and games but after a month I was over it, and by 4 months I was totally over the whole phone so I decided to come back to Blackberry and by the Bold outright.

This is just me though Good luck with whatever you choose!
    you bought the bb at full retail price????????
    08-31-11 11:26 PM
    ^ His metaphor was awful lol.
    coolraghav likes this.
    08-31-11 11:26 PM
    you bought the bb at full retail price????????
    Yep! Verizon refused to let me get a discount since I only had my DroidX for 4 months.
    08-31-11 11:34 PM
    if you love using bb keyboard, you cant really shift to droid/iphone. Ive tired..Ive failed.
    08-31-11 11:36 PM
    Get the next gen. iPhone.
    +1 wait till the iP5 comes out then decide.
    Buyers remorse sucks

08-31-11 11:50 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD