08-16-09 10:35 AM
54 123
tools
    Vlingo says it's not compatible with the Bold.
    So sorry for mentioning this program as you are right Kronk, that it is not available for the Bold yet and I didn't realize it was only for specific models.

I just checked the vlingo site and currently only available for the pearl, curve, and 88xx models. I am sure they are working on making it for other BB models.

My mistake
    11-20-08 11:42 AM
    I gave up on voicedial with my curve. I find it a lot easier to have "dial from homescreen" set to ON and just type out the first 3-4 letters of the name of who I want to call and just highlight and click send. The keyboard on the bold is layed out in a way that makes it really easy to type without looking

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 11:54 AM
    Just thought I would report back. I think that this is definately related to bluetooth. If you use voice dial from the phones mike, it works perfectly. When I try it over bluetooth, it is useless.
    11-20-08 08:01 PM
    I am having a problem, too. Whenever I say "call home" it says "phone work" and dials. Annoying. It's worked a few times, though.
    11-20-08 08:51 PM
    Like other people said my curve worked perfectly, but the Bold is terrible at this...

It miss interprets all the time and when it says the name back to me I can hardly understand it.

Seems to work a little better without bluetooth, but its still pretty bad.
    11-20-08 09:28 PM
    Maybe I'm just lucky but voice dialing on my Bold is working perfectly. I haven't tried it on bluetooth yet.
    11-20-08 09:46 PM
    While I don't have a Bold, I do have a very early 8100 Pearl. The voice dial on it never worked well for me. I have a very neutral midwest US accent, so that shouldn't be a problem for the VAD. However, often than not it would totally misinterpret what I said to the point where I just gave up on it. Then one day I read a post from someone who said that if they installed the UK English pack and used that as the voice dialing language, VAD worked a lot better. I tried, and surprisingly it worked. I sometimes have to pronounce names with a bit of emphasis (ie Shari, instead of being pronounced "Sherry" works better if pronounced "Shar-e"), but it certainly produces much better results.

Maybe some could try and see how it works for them?
    11-20-08 10:24 PM
    Vlingo says it's not compatible with the Bold.
    Vlingo is working fine on my bold. I love the program.

11-20-08 10:39 PM
    Just downloaded vlingo on my bold. Works just fine. Pretty cool app. Love that its free. Will be fidgeting with it for a while I just downloaded by telling them to send me a curve email in the little info box on home page of vlingo.

11-20-08 11:09 PM
    Voice recognition is never going to be 100% spot on, there are so many accents, pitches of voices, speeds of talking & so on...I find it works ok if i speak a little slower & pronounce things a bit clearer...also helps if you don't have things like car radios on in the background.
    I agree, but the new Google voice search (via iPhone 3G) works for me practically 10 out of 10 times. Bold's voice recognition could certainly use an improvement.
    11-20-08 11:09 PM
    Just downloaded vlingo on my bold. Works just fine. Pretty cool app. Love that its free. Will be fidgeting with it for a while I just downloaded by telling them to send me a curve email in the little info box on home page of vlingo.

Just a follow up. Tested it with bluetooth. Works fine if not better lol.

11-20-08 11:18 PM
    I have just moved from the Pearl to the Bold. I have used voice-actuated dialing through bluetooth successfully with the Pearl for two years and it is actually the reason that I got the Pearl. The Bold has been incapable of voice dialing. It screws up number commands the exact same way each time and it is incapable of hearing or of hearing correctly any contact name. This happens 99% of the time.

Curiously, when I went into a ATT corporate store to return the original Bold for a replacement one: the guy in line behind me had the same problem and two: the female employee who helped me was able to have the Bold voice dial accurately almost every time.

Since then, if I talk in a high-pitched imitation of a female voice, the voice dialing works about 60% of the time. It is not my preferred solution. Is there any chance that BB is going to acknowledge this problem and solve it? Voice dialing is essential to my work.
    Last edited by mwcon; 01-21-09 at 02:34 PM.
    01-21-09 02:29 PM
    Voice dial on the bold sucks.

01-21-09 02:37 PM
    I am a UK user so maybe it's an accent problem on my Bold but it's really useless especially after my old Nokia 6233 which was great, even in a noisy car over Bluetooth. As mentioned earlier, after training on the digits it recognises long spoken numbers really well even over Bluetooth but I only remember a few numbers......that's why I have a phone memory, duh.
    Strangely it did seems to work better when I first got it a couple of weeks ago but it has not had a software update it's more like some file has been corrupted as it does not seem to recognise anything except numbers even spoken directly into the handset.
    01-26-09 03:31 PM
    Never used voice dialing, thinking about checking out vlingo though.

01-26-09 03:35 PM
    Voice dialing on OS .167 was unusable on the Bold, after upgrading to .216 it has worked perfectly using a Motorola H15.
    01-26-09 05:44 PM
    Options > voice dialing > sensitivity

and mess with the settings...

set it to "reject more", that way it will try to get exactly the contact that you want

another thing i learned is to kind of talk like a "robot" when i use voice dial lol.
    01-27-09 12:38 AM
    Nice to be here as a new member folks. Back to BB after a 3 year absence. Love the Bold 9000.

Coming from the iPhone 3G to the Bold for my primary phone, I was looking forward to voice dial again. I have not had much success however, with voice dialing on Bold.

Problem solved. I see from others here that it is a useless app and so I will not bother with it anymore. All is not lost as I have my trusty trackball.

Me talking to the voice dial app sounds something like Steve Martin's character in Plains Trains and Automobiles when he was "conversing" with the car rental lady!.
    05-29-09 07:25 PM
    I don't get it mine is about 90% accurate and 99% accurate that it will be one of the 3 choices.

I use the -3 setting.

05-29-09 08:35 PM
    I found voice dialing to be device dependent.

Using my Motorola T505, voice dialing never, NEVER, works correctly.

Using my Motorola H721 headset, voice dialing works almost 100%.

Both are Motorola devices... Go figure!

C

05-30-09 12:17 AM
    JBobH,

While the official BlackBerry voice dial program is completely useless, there's a third party program called Vlingo which works great. It not only does voice dialing, but also lets you do a Google search, create a memo/task, and even dictate an email or SMS. They've started charging for the latest version (only $17.99, an utter bargain by App World standards!) but I think you can still download a free version.
    05-30-09 02:30 AM
    Voice dialing has always been a pain, I haven't even tried it on my last three berrys. I reassigned the button to contacts where I can use the button 40 times a day or more and get the right person every time...
    05-30-09 02:31 AM
    I stopped using after the first 2-3 attempts. I believe it was stated previously in this post... Voice dial has never worked... and that goes for any phone I have owned.
    05-30-09 05:38 AM
    I use vlingo 2.0. Free and works well! Hated the voice dial in my phone. I tried it 3 times saying I wanna call home, and it brings up another contact.

05-30-09 08:45 AM
    Sorry to say, the voice dial, just doesn't work, never did.
    maybe you have the default settings as last name, first name or visa versa
    say the name backwards .. ie smith. john see if it works.. then you will know
    05-30-09 11:15 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD