I've got some serious issues with my Bold that I've never come across before. I used the MML tool to unlock the Bold (could have simply bought unlock code, but tried the tool simply for testing purposes), and my phone has been a mess ever since. I cannot use Mass Storage (despite the charging icon being there, and despite BB Desktop detecting the phone...there is simply no mass storage ! And yes...my settings on the phone are in tact). The computer also detects the device under Device Manager (Blackberry Smartphone) and I have tried many times uninstalling/re-installing the drivers.

Another problem I have is with the BB Desktop Manager. It detects the device no problem, but constantly wants to roll back to previous OS versions (always .162). I don't even have .162 installed on my system, so I'm not sure where it's getting the update from. I'm currently running .185 (I barely managed to install it using BB Desktop 4.2), and have just now installed .190 on my computer. When I go to update, it does not prompt anything. When I go into the App. Loader, it gives me two choices 1) .92 (downgrade) 2) .162 (Preferred). It does not even detect .190 !

I never had any issues whatsoever with the phone until I tried the MML software. Any wiz's have any suggestions ?
    12-09-08 01:22 PM
    1. Install DM 4.6
    2. Uninstall all OS's other than the one you wish to install.
    3. Remove Vendor.xml.
    4. Use jl_cmder and wipe it.
    5. Use App Loader to load the OS from scratch.
    12-09-08 02:32 PM
    1. Install DM 4.6
    2. Uninstall all OS's other than the one you wish to install.
    3. Remove Vendor.xml.
    4. Use jl_cmder and wipe it.
    5. Use App Loader to load the OS from scratch.
    I did, no success. I wasn't using JL_CMDer to wipe it, but I did a full wipe of the phone through the MML updater.

The only thing that bothers is me is that I can't get mass storage mode. I can somehow end up updating software, but there is no mass storage on the phone =/
    12-09-08 02:52 PM
    May be a stupid question, but did you check to ensure Mass Storage Mode is still enabled?

I have no experience with MML, sorry.
    12-09-08 04:08 PM
    I am having the same issue
    12-09-08 05:32 PM
    Sounds like you might have shot yourself in the foot by not researching enough. First link I googled showed similar problems, Alert on 9xxx or u kill - GSM-Forum

I've got some serious issues with my Bold that I've never come across before. I used the MML tool to unlock the Bold (could have simply bought unlock code, but tried the tool simply for testing purposes), and my phone has been a mess ever since. I cannot use Mass Storage (despite the charging icon being there, and despite BB Desktop detecting the phone...there is simply no mass storage ! And yes...my settings on the phone are in tact). The computer also detects the device under Device Manager (Blackberry Smartphone) and I have tried many times uninstalling/re-installing the drivers.

Another problem I have is with the BB Desktop Manager. It detects the device no problem, but constantly wants to roll back to previous OS versions (always .162). I don't even have .162 installed on my system, so I'm not sure where it's getting the update from. I'm currently running .185 (I barely managed to install it using BB Desktop 4.2), and have just now installed .190 on my computer. When I go to update, it does not prompt anything. When I go into the App. Loader, it gives me two choices 1) .92 (downgrade) 2) .162 (Preferred). It does not even detect .190 !

I never had any issues whatsoever with the phone until I tried the MML software. Any wiz's have any suggestions ?
    12-09-08 06:06 PM
    oh... so where to get the right files?
    12-09-08 06:18 PM
    Sounds like you might have shot yourself in the foot by not researching enough. First link I googled showed similar problems, Alert on 9xxx or u kill - GSM-Forum
    Damn it. So I guess I'll have to take the long way around this now and upload everything to the memory card first. I'm not sure this would be a valid return at Rogers...I've only had it for a month, but they'll probably know I flashed it =/
    12-09-08 09:58 PM
    08/12/2008 berry smart tool v1.0.0.288 released ! - GSM-Forum

So i found something that could help, but I have no clue how to use this file. No instructions, no nothing...plus their english is very tough to comprehend. =/
    12-09-08 10:15 PM
    I suppose it's a program to flash your BBold with a firmware from an operator.
    12-10-08 04:21 AM
    Gogi,

Do you have a MFI-17584-015 file on your MML directory? What about a MFI-17483-005?

What are the sizes of these files?

Right click on them, hit "Properties", and tell me what's the "Size: " in bytes please.

I also have these files, but they are at home, so I won't be able to check these right now.

I may have a clue. I am looking for something along the lines:

9.145.920 bytes

give me the exact value you have.
    12-10-08 09:06 AM
    Looking at the gsmhosting.com website I have a bad feeling about it. Maybe I am completely out of line here but the site seems to go against all my instincts for 'safe software' -

Downloads hosted on .ru servers (anyone heard of RBN ??)
    Requests for .sfi files uploaded in isolation without the rest of their linked OS.
    Files which seem to break phone functionality
    ... much more but I think you are getting the picture...

Now I have to guess a little because there is no way I will allow suspect software anywhere near my hardware. It ain't worth the risk. ISTM the so called unlock might be a ripped and cracked version of the RIM OS which doesn't check for correct SIM. It probably requires the equally cracked MML uploader to install it because the official RIM tools won't accept security-compromised OS files. If there are other cracks which have attempted to modify the firmware at chip level you may be completely shafted.

My best guess for the way to fix these problems would be to remove all the dodgy software from your PC and wipe the phone completely using JL_Cmder. Then treat your phone as 'bricked' and use known safe software to follow the recommended method http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/ and recover it.

If this doesn't work or the cracks have damaged the permanent firmware I think you are stuck with a partially functioning phone, using software which may not be as secure as the original RIM product. The best solution might be to learn from this misfortune and consider replacing the phone.
    12-10-08 10:09 AM
    branta: That dead blackberry thingy only replaces the OS. Nothing else.

Gogi:

Good news, apparently a tool already exists to re-enable that:
    Notice:Mass Storage Problem after using the free software - Page 2 - GSM-Forum

it's a version that doesn't work with BB9000, but it does work with older versions, so progress is being made.

There are also new MFI files:
    New Links for now BlackBerry Unlock Software (MFI Loader and Files) - GSM-Forum

And they do have a different size from the ones provided earlier, so I am going to try those later today (at work, running Linux).
    12-10-08 11:07 AM
    branta: That dead blackberry thingy only replaces the OS. Nothing else.
    Yes, and I am suggesting you use a known safe tool and a known safe OS to do it, not some manky thing which came off a third party warez site and has been subjected to the attention of hackerz.

Go back to square-one. Start from clean. With that I'm out of here. If you don't want the advice I see no reason to waste more of my time.
    12-10-08 11:49 AM
    Gogi,

Do you have a MFI-17584-015 file on your MML directory? What about a MFI-17483-005?

What are the sizes of these files?

Right click on them, hit "Properties", and tell me what's the "Size: " in bytes please.

I also have these files, but they are at home, so I won't be able to check these right now.

I may have a clue. I am looking for something along the lines:

9.145.920 bytes

give me the exact value you have.
    Only got the 17584-015 and the size iz 8.5MB, (on disk 8.51).

I've been following it, and I know there is a solution, but I don't feel like waiting till Christmas to get it. Have you tried the new software ? I'm gonna try sdtv's new MML software and see whether that enables mass storage.
    12-10-08 11:55 AM
    Go back to square-one. Start from clean. With that I'm out of here. If you don't want the advice I see no reason to waste more of my time.
    branta, thanks for the advice, but it doesn't work...I've gone over it 100 times thus far. It seems that only a few people on the gsmforum seem to know how to fix this, but they're reluctant to answer...or at least they say they will as a free gift on 24.12
    12-10-08 11:56 AM
    doesn't bother me that much. I'll wait and poke around.
    12-10-08 01:13 PM
    Problem fixed !!!

Lemos, message me if you need the file.

Cheers
    12-10-08 01:29 PM
    yeah! I was just about to post about it
    12-10-08 01:34 PM
    Bro, I need it to.

Thanks.
    12-10-08 01:52 PM
    E-mail ???
    12-10-08 01:56 PM
    aleoje user in hotmailcom

Thanks
    12-10-08 02:06 PM
    Last edited by chetzy; 12-11-08 at 01:04 PM. Reason: unwanted post.
    12-10-08 02:20 PM
    E-mail sent.
    12-10-08 02:21 PM
    Thanks I'm going to try it
    12-10-08 02:50 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD