Hello, and thanks for having me.

My wife has a bold 9790 that has been problematic (but she still loves the thing, so I don't argue, I fix ). The warranty has expired.

The problem now is the screen freaks out in sunlight and her calls frequently go to speakerphone unintentionally. So, it's probably a sensor? I'm kinda sure of that. The question is where is this evil possessed sensor? My intuition tells me it's part of the LCD. That's fine, I can replace that, but which LCD is the right one? I've seen two part numbers - 001/111 and 002/111. The model number of the 9790 is RED71UW and it was purchased from T-Mobile Czech Republic. I have a sinking feeling I'll have to disassemble the phone to find out, then reassemble until I get the part. Wash, rinse, repeat.

A summary:
    screen freaks out in sunlight
    goes to speakerphone unintentionally
    obviously needs another replacement part (I think the LCD was the only part not replaced before the warranty expiration)
    I can fix it, no problem, just need to know what to replace

What part do y'all think I need? Any advice out there?

Thanks in advance...
    07-11-16 04:42 PM
    By "screen freaks out in sunlight" do you mean the screen's brightness is switched on high? I think that's normal. About the issue where the phone goes speakerphone unintentionally, I honestly don't know how it does that. Is there a setting where a proximity sensor automatically switches the audio from the earpiece to loudspeaker?
    07-11-16 06:00 PM
    Yeah, "freaks out" was ambiguous. The screen becomes unreadable, like a satellite TV feed in a severe storm, just lines and squares jumping around. That's the best description I can give. The only way to stop it is to find shade or if I'm there I cup my hand around the phone until the screen is readable again. The unintentional speakerphone is, in my humble opinion, the same problem. When you hold the phone to your ear the touch screen should recognize this and go dormant. This phone doesn't do that anymore, so a small press on the cheek hits the speakerphone touch button and it goes to speaker.

My wife wants a classic, but BB announcing the end of production I think it's a bad idea. She just wants that physical keyboard.

Thanks for the answer!
    07-11-16 06:15 PM
    I see, now that does look like a sensor issue. For the sake of it, did she ever considered a Passport?
    07-11-16 06:22 PM
    Unfortunately her company won't buy a new phone for her. She manages this country in Europe for a Polish company and signs a new contract with T-Mobile every two years. With that contract comes a hardware budget. The only Blackberry available using that budget (i.e. free) is the Classic, in fact that's the only Blackberry they still offer. I'm sure they will dump Blackberry altogether soon. So it's the Classic, or a virtual (Android) keyboard, no other options except out of pocket - and that ain't gonna happen. If I can fix her 9790 for a few bucks I'll do that.
    07-11-16 06:33 PM
    Options-> Device Status and information , type"test" to activate the device self tests.
    08-08-16 09:41 AM
    Thanks, I'll check that out as soon as I can get the darn phone out of her hand and change the language to English. That phone is super glued to her hands. There have been a few time when the thought crossed my mind to toss that phone out the window and into the bushes. That would surely mean divorce I think.

Today I was with her when she tried to write an SMS, in the sunshine, and no amount of hand shading would bring up the screen. We had to find a good shaded place to get the screen up. I have a bad feeling that this sensor is part of the board and isn't going to be worth the cost to replace.

She has an Android phone now that I partially set up (Lenovo Vibe P1ma40), but she doesn't want to learn to type on it. A diehard physical keyboard user she is, argh!

And does anyone out there know what app I need to add to Android so all her email goes through Blackberry Service (non-corporate). She's paying for it so she might as well have it. I just have no idea how the service works on Android. Yeah, I'm lazy, I could probably figure it out, but hey, if you've done it already maybe you could save me some time?

Thanks.
    08-08-16 07:04 PM