i went to at&t to check on the 9700 and when i press on the screen it looks like its kinda thin material whats covers the screen, and you can see you pressing on it color changes ! my curve dont do this!

Anybody has this issue or all 9700 like that just wondering i have seen somebody was complaning about this before.
    11-24-09 04:42 PM
    It's that way by design. There is no thick piece of plastic between the surface and the screen. That's part of the reason why the screen is so vibrant and crisp (which is consequently also how it got the name "Bold").
    11-24-09 04:45 PM
    It's that way by design. There is no thick piece of plastic between the surface and the screen. That's part of the reason why the screen is so vibrant and crisp (which is consequently also how it got the name "Bold").
    well i dont like that !! whatever reason they had i think they just being cheap

it should be well protected!
    11-24-09 05:05 PM
    Don't press on the screen!!!!!!!
    11-24-09 06:40 PM
    very funny i will try not to when i got the phone !!
    11-24-09 06:48 PM
    this was a pretty big issue with the VZW Tour IMO (but of course it was overshadowed by the widespread trackball issues that people were having). I heard some complaints about the Bold 9000 in this regard, but not many.

This is the first I'm hearing of the 9700 with this issue - my suggestion would be to return/exchange it for a new 9700 before you spend too much time customizing this one. Don't put up with quality/build issues on a device that you paid so much for!!

On my cousin's first of many Tour phones, this issue was so bad that when he pressed either of the side soft keys or even send/end with a little more than normal force the screen would go wavy or whatever. SEND IT BACK!
    11-24-09 08:11 PM
    this was a pretty big issue with the VZW Tour IMO (but of course it was overshadowed by the widespread trackball issues that people were having). I heard some complaints about the Bold 9000 in this regard, but not many.

This is the first I'm hearing of the 9700 with this issue - my suggestion would be to return/exchange it for a new 9700 before you spend too much time customizing this one. Don't put up with quality/build issues on a device that you paid so much for!!

On my cousin's first of many Tour phones, this issue was so bad that when he pressed either of the side soft keys or even send/end with a little more than normal force the screen would go wavy or whatever. SEND IT BACK!
    i did not buy it yet its just i was at the at&t store and i noticed it !

my curve dont do that ! has a thicker plastic cover but i guess people can live with it if u dont keep pressing the screen!
    11-24-09 08:19 PM
    lol. Why would people press the screen anyways?

I had a bold for a year and its durable. it broke only once that and that was because i threw it at the wall when i was mad. I think youll be fine.
    11-24-09 08:23 PM
    lol. Why would people press the screen anyways?

I had a bold for a year and its durable. It broke only once that and that was because i threw it at the wall when i was mad. I think youll be fine.
    take it from a cute girl like you i feel much better about it !!lol

but seriously ! The phone is very solid built but they should have make this part of it stronger! Or at least the same as older phones!
    11-24-09 08:51 PM
    have warranty and dont touch the screen.
    11-24-09 10:24 PM
    Do not press the screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 10:27 PM
    Do not press the screen.

that is not a solution!!! you know that
    11-24-09 10:49 PM
    It's a LCD, just like a tv or computer monitor - when you press them, you get the color ripple effect. It's not poor build quaity or some sort of mistake, that's how LCDs work. I haven't heard of a specific reason as to why there's no protection over the screen, but that's obviously the route that RIM is choosing to take, considering they've now made several devices iike this. Just get a screen protector to prevent scrarches and it'll be fine.

11-24-09 11:02 PM
    It's a LCD, just like a tv or computer monitor - when you press them, you get the color ripple effect. It's not poor build quaity or some sort of mistake, that's how LCDs work. I haven't heard of a specific reason as to why there's no protection over the screen, but that's obviously the route that RIM is choosing to take, considering they've now made several devices iike this. Just get a screen protector to prevent scrarches and it'll be fine.

disagree!

it is a phone gets in your pers, pocket, on your desk all over should not be like that like i said my 2 years old curve is better built !

well screen protection helps for the scraches but that wont help from brakeing it somebody already did when he was try to remove the battery cover!

rim saveing money everywhere thay can make the phone very solid, and being cheap on the screen!!
    11-24-09 11:16 PM
    rim saveing money everywhere thay can make the phone very solid, and being cheap on the screen!!
    Considering a replacement 8320 screen is $16.99 and a replacement 9000 screen is $85.99, being "cheap" on the screen is pretty far from the truth.

The removal of the plastic is by design. The Bold 9000 and 9700 would be at least 1/4" thicker if they kept the extra layer of plastic on the 8320. And the screen would not look as vivid with an extra layer of plastic distorting the display.

I've seen just as many broken Curve screens in my career. If you abuse your smartphone, it will eventually break. It doesn't belong in your pocket with your keys.

There are a lot of places you can fault the 9700 build, but saying the screen gets all ripply with colors when you poke at it is not one of the reasons.
    11-25-09 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD