whats up everyone??
    just want to start off by saying that crackberry.com is a lifesaver

So i was just wondering, could i password protect certain parts of my phone like sms, emails and media or do i have to password protect the whole phone??
    and how would i go about doing that??

also another question, i never really understood Password Keeper so i never really fiddled with it...afraid imma lock my device and won't be able to open it again LOL so can someone please break Password Keeper down for me...thanks
    02-26-09 10:01 AM
    I just used the Password Keeper to change my password when login to my BlackBerry, but the password didn't change.
    02-26-09 10:15 AM
    hhhmmmm, so do you mean when you start the device up you have a password??? i never turn my device off unless im doing a reboot
    02-26-09 10:40 AM
    Menu -- Options -- Security Options -- General Settings -- Password. Set to enabled and your blackberry locks when it fires up, and locks when the "security timeout" setting lapses.

I don't think there's a way you can password protect individual pieces..

The only hitch (and it's a big one) - if you forget your password, you get 10 (the default is 10, you can also change this) tries before your blackberry wipes clean. Nothing you can do about this, no one at your carrier's CS nor Crackberry can help. Bottom line is make sure you do frequent backups (which you should do anyway).

HTH
    02-26-09 10:57 AM
    well i do like weekly/bi-weekly back ups...so it will only ask me for a password when i fire it up?? well thats no good then since the only time the device goes off is when i need to do a reboot lol
    02-26-09 11:09 AM
    The password you set will be asked everytime you lock your phone. So if you enable a pass and set it to activate everytime you lock your phone or when your phone is idle for 5min+ for example. Its good to have a password. I have one on my phone and SIM card. So when I boot my phone it asks me for 2 passwords. When I lock it, only the one pass is required.

Password Keeper is simple. Its basically an application that stores your password for you. So you set a main password to access the app. Once you do that you can store personal info/passwords and its only accessible with the password you've set for it.. Its basically like a safe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ADDICT2BOLD; 02-26-09 at 11:30 AM.
    02-26-09 11:27 AM
    Menu -- Options -- Security Options -- General Settings -- Password. Set to enabled and your blackberry locks when it fires up, and locks when the "security timeout" setting lapses.

I don't think there's a way you can password protect individual pieces..

The only hitch (and it's a big one) - if you forget your password, you get 10 (the default is 10, you can also change this) tries before your blackberry wipes clean. Nothing you can do about this, no one at your carrier's CS nor Crackberry can help. Bottom line is make sure you do frequent backups (which you should do anyway).

HTH

How does one remove the passcode after entering it? I tried it for the heck of it, but when I go to general settings, disable/save it will still be there to type in password when it idles

Last edited by Perfex; 02-26-09 at 03:00 PM.
    02-26-09 02:57 PM
    Disable the Password in the same security setting where you enabled it. When you press escape to leave the security screen, you'll have to enter the password one last time. That's a security feature to prevent someone from disabling your password. You have to know the password to disable it.

02-26-09 03:22 PM
    Funny thing is I did that, but it remains still
    02-26-09 03:25 PM
    The procedure I described is all you have to do, unless you have a small red padlock icon beside the password enable option. If you have the padlock icon, then you won't be able to disable the password. The lock icon means the function is controlled by an IT policy.

02-26-09 03:34 PM
    Make sure you SAVE the change to disable password. The only time you won't be able to do it is when there's an IT policy in place to force password usage, but this should only exist on BES devices.
    02-26-09 05:05 PM
    I must not be very smart... I can see where you disable/enable a password in the security options, but where do I create a password for that in the first place?
    06-11-09 04:46 PM
    By enabling the password, it will ask you for a password.
    06-11-09 05:03 PM
    It's the same place. Enable the password, then escape out of the screen. You'll be prompted to create and verify the password. The same process will happen if you disable the password. When you escape out of the screen, you'll be prompted to enter the password.

06-11-09 05:04 PM
    That's got to be one of the strangest ways to create a password that I've ever seen.

Thank you for your help!
    John
    06-12-09 09:49 AM
    There are other ways to keep your girlfriend from snooping around your phone and finding those texts from the Chianese transexual stripper. But if it's a real security breach you're concerned with mate7, send you're device to me and I will install a biometric scanner that deactivates when your finger prints are detected, and will shock anyone else who tries to touch it.

06-12-09 10:02 AM
    I'm having the same problem. I activated security earlier, and turned it off. it still keeps locking up, and asking for the pw. I restarted, and did a battery pull. Nothing... This is kind of annoying. I keep enabling, and disabling it as well. Still nothing.

06-24-09 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD