I had to replace my first Bold due to a hardware failure. Since it was within 30 days, I was able to exchange it for a new Bold. Now, the new Bold (18 days in service) is not seen by DM. I spent most of the day with RIM and AT&T tech support.

Finally, ATT said that the USB Port was not working, but that this could be fixed by the warranty repair shop. So, I went there. ATT Repair Service Stations do not repair BB, nor do they have any parts to do so.

ATT Repair did have a little machine that reads the ports, and the USB Port failed for syncing.

I hate setting up a new Bold for the third time in 6 weeks. Further, this second hardware failure makes me wonder why on earth I would even want a third Bold.

No real question here, just a bit of a rant. Actually, I am wondering why I did not get the iPhone if this is the best RIM can do.

BTW My 8800 is seen by DM. I have re-booted both the computer, re-installed DM, battery pull, tried the BB on another computer.
    08-08-09 06:33 PM
    Damn that really sicks. The BOLD is my first BB and I'm sure it won't be my last. I absolutely love it and haven't had any problems with it (touch wood). But I think if I had this experience like you I would probably be turned off to BB forever.
    08-08-09 07:37 PM
    Thanks for the empathy. I believe I will have AT&T send me another Bold, because I really do like BB. I moved to the BB years ago because they were so solid. That is why this is so frustrating. The Bold may not have all the bling of other phones, but that d/n matter to me. I just want a reliable, dependable phone.

I don't have a lot of programs, only use the default theme - pretty basic use. And yet, 2 Bolds fail on me. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
    08-08-09 07:52 PM
    My Bold has been the best BB I have had as well. I hope you get things sorted out.
    08-08-09 07:56 PM
    If I wasn't so cheap, and if my professional specific software was fully supported, I would get BES (rather than the BIS I am using now) and be done with connected syncing.

The software I use for time and billing, calendaring, tasks, notes, and contacts, will only work with the default Outlook calendar. The last time I tried OTA sync using BES was a disaster.
    08-08-09 08:11 PM
    If I wasn't so cheap, and if my professional specific software was fully supported, I would get BES (rather than the BIS I am using now) and be done with connected syncing.

The software I use for time and billing, calendaring, tasks, notes, and contacts, will only work with the default Outlook calendar. The last time I tried OTA sync using BES was a disaster.
    Bummer about the two Bolds. I say go for the third or wait for the repair. I have used a Pearl, a Curve 8900 and now the Bold. The Bold is by far the best model. Stick with it if you can.

As for BES, I am not sure why the Outlook sync would be a problem, BES syncgs from the Exchange server database not Outlook directly. Have you checked with RIM support on that? BES should be rock solid for these things.
    08-08-09 08:16 PM
    Wow I am curious on where your bolds were manufactured you can PM me if you dont want everyone to know. side note I have a co worker of mine treats his storm like poo and that thing is running strong he actually flung it by accident accross his driveway scratched the heck out of it but boy that thing is tank...
    08-08-09 11:00 PM
    Wow I am curious on where your bolds were manufactured you can PM me if you dont want everyone to know.
    I am not sure where the first was made, but the one I have now was made in Hungary.
    08-09-09 09:36 AM
    I am not sure where the first was made, but the one I have now was made in Hungary.
    Mine was made in Hungary, and it's perfect. Hope it stays that way!
    08-09-09 09:41 AM
    As for BES, I am not sure why the Outlook sync would be a problem, BES syncgs from the Exchange server database not Outlook directly. Have you checked with RIM support on that? BES should be rock solid for these things.
    I think that was the problem - not syncing from the default Outlook database. The conduit for my essential time and billing software (Lexis)will only connect with the default .pst file. When I tried BES a few years ago, another set of data was created that synced. This worked great for syncing Outlook information and the BB. However, none of the information was sent to the third party app that I use to track billable time. Unless it is in the default .pst, it is not synced over to that other program.

Maybe I should check to see if Lexis has upgraded this and will now allow the connection to another file.
    08-09-09 09:45 AM
    I had problems with 2phones , but I am not comfortable loading os ,and so they did simple exchange .And now happy days , I love my bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the empathy. I believe I will have AT&T send me another Bold, because I really do like BB. I moved to the BB years ago because they were so solid. That is why this is so frustrating. The Bold may not have all the bling of other phones, but that d/n matter to me. I just want a reliable, dependable phone.

I don't have a lot of programs, only use the default theme - pretty basic use. And yet, 2 Bolds fail on me. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
    Not sure if this is an issue, but I had a heck of a time reading my Bold while I had iTunes installed. It would work 1 day then not the next. Really hard to pin point the actual cause. But since I i uninstalled it I had no problems.
    08-09-09 10:25 AM
    Thanks John. I do not have iTunes on my BB. The problem seems to be the hardware. Specifically, the mini USB port. It passed the testing for charging at the ATT Repair center, but failed the sync test. I have no idea how that happens, as it seems to me the entire port should work or not work.
    08-09-09 10:34 AM
    I'm on my 4th Bold in 9 months, and that doesn't reflect all the issues I've had with the software and bb server. It's pretty much like an abusive relationship, it doesn't treat me right but I can't bear to leave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 03:40 PM
    I am on my 3rd bold in 3 months (camera, SD Card freezing)

Yes, I am that hard on my phones

When this phone works, it just works so well
    08-10-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD