Warning: Please do not try this at home.

I work at an electronics store and I tested the screen durability on a demo unit (dont ask why).

First off I took a key and tested the black glass around the screen by lightly grazing it on the surface. Left no mark. I then used moderate pressure to try and create a scratch. No mark. I then viciously started swiping at the screen like they do in the Zagg invisishield commercials with the key repeatedly. Surprisingly no mark. I then moved onto a sharp pair of wire cutters and used the sharp edge to create a scratch, I moved it over the surface of the screen as if I were painting or scribbling using more than moderate force. No scratch.

What the **** what does it take to scratch this screen I asked myself.

I then took the sharp corner of the wire cutters and started stabbing at the screen that would surely scratch the screen. If someone were to see me do this they would think I were maliciously murdering someone, thats how much effort was being put into trying to scratch the screen.

I grabbed a cloth and wiped off all of the finger print grease until it was completely clean and I took a close look to admire the damage I had dealt...

No scratches, not even micro scratches, absolutely nothing.

I then proceeded to be shocked and laughed at how a screen protector for this phone would be such a waste of money. A few days later I removed my screen protector, this was a while ago and today I have 0 scratches.

So moral of the story: the only way you can scratch this phone's screen is if you throw the thing in a barrel of diamonds and shake it. Other than that this screen cannot be scratched by any remote hazards, and a screen protector is just a scam for this phone.

Also a note, the back door cover is soft plastic and WILL scratch. I did not purposely scratch the back door of the demo, my personal phone's backing is scratched just from putting it down on different surfaces. The screen is hardened glass that will NOT scratch, unless you diamond cut it lol.

Well thats my story of the day, take it as you will.
    Last edited by Fusion-Dreams; 09-28-11 at 12:45 AM.
    09-28-11 12:43 AM
    I would still use it though. Because for me I don't use it to protect the screen, but to keep off all the fingerprints.
    09-28-11 12:58 AM
    Sand will scratch it. Atleast that's how my other phones with gorilla glass got scratched.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    mlist84 likes this.
    09-28-11 01:27 AM
    Thanks. I suspected that but good to see someone had the balls to check it. I never had a problem with the torch or the 9900 and I too think a protector is a waste unless it is used in a very hazzardous environment.
    09-28-11 01:55 AM
    You can do a video? o.O

I cant believe it cus I think my screen got scratched with the OEM Holster live it gots like 3 curved lines on the screen like shadow line you can only see them with sun reflex btw i cannot remove them :S
    09-28-11 01:56 AM
    You can do a video? o.O

I cant believe it cus I think my screen got scratched with the OEM Holster live it gots like 3 curved lines on the screen like shadow line you can only see them with sun reflex btw i cannot remove them :S

If those lines are completely straight then those are normal, those are the touch screen sensor lines. I am completely positive you did not scratch your screen.
    09-28-11 02:08 AM
    Thanks. I suspected that but good to see someone had the balls to check it. I never had a problem with the torch or the 9900 and I too think a protector is a waste unless it is used in a very hazzardous environment.
    I definitely would not risk having no screen protector on a Torch...
    09-28-11 02:10 AM
    I agree with the OP. I had a Storm 1 and 2 from launch and never kept cases on them. I even took a knife to the Storm 2's screen (having seen it didnt scratch one on video) and nothing. The glass they use is pretty heavy duty.

I haven't had a case on my new Bold 9930 since release and the whole thing looks impeccable. Like Fusion said, be careful of the plastic composite on the battery door as it will get fine scratches easily. After some time it looks like you can polish it to get fine scratches out though.

I never put a screen protector on any of my BBs and never will. Useless unless you have the new Torch 9850/9860 or a plastic screen.
    09-28-11 02:47 AM
    Good to know, but I won't be risking not using a screen protector
    09-28-11 03:04 AM
    We need video proof. period.
    09-28-11 03:18 AM
    That's really great to hear and know, however I always feel better with a screen protector.
    09-28-11 03:26 AM
    Wow-Try this:
    Take your finger and touch the icon-
    Now try scrolling with your finger-
    Next tap an email and see if it opens-
    Anything?
    Ankieberry likes this.
    09-28-11 05:34 AM
    If those lines are completely straight then those are normal, those are the touch screen sensor lines. I am completely positive you did not scratch your screen.
    No they're curved I know that the touchscreen have straight lines playbook has that straight lines too
    09-28-11 09:14 AM
    Some people use the protector for the privacy function. I use the protector for the anti-glare function

- Charles
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    09-28-11 10:32 AM
    ...sadly I'm the kind of person who finds that, if something can go wrong, then something invariably will go wrong, so just for peace of mind I always have a screen protector! Really interesting stuff from the OP tho'
    09-28-11 10:45 AM
    I don't use a screen protector and never will. If it scratches it scratches. A new screen is only about �30 so not a huge sum of money

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-28-11 10:57 AM
    I got a screen protector on my iphone 4 and bold 9900. I pay my devices full price not like some others on contract, so i have to take real good care of my babies.

But i don't use screen protectors on my tablets Playbook and ipad 3G

I use bestskinsever!
    09-28-11 11:01 AM
    Sorry to derail the thread but i have a scratch on mine. Possibly by keys in my pocket. Either way...get a screen protector and dont risk it...
    09-28-11 11:57 AM
    Not possible kingkong its Gorrila Glass

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 12:34 PM
    Sand will scratch it. Atleast that's how my other phones with gorilla glass got scratched.
    Yup. It's not the metals you have to worry about, but rather the miniscule amount of sand found in some pants pockets, because glass is made from sand obviously.

09-28-11 12:36 PM
    Never used a screen protector on any of my mobile devices and never will.
    09-28-11 12:42 PM
    I also use a protector for anti-glare.
    09-28-11 01:09 PM
    i came to this thread totally thinking it was just a mojo claiming that screen protectors are pointless and blah blah.. I in fact even had a smart-alec response all 'qued up in my head ("pointless until you scratch the screen..").. But turns out Im the one looking foolish, thanks for the insightful post. Good to hear that the screen is dang near super safe. Although Im the better safe than sorry type and I kinda want to get a privacy screen too.. Thanks though!
    09-28-11 01:11 PM
    Not possible kingkong its Gorrila Glass

Sorry dude, they must've used chimpanzee glass for mine cause there's a scratch. Its not blatant but depending on how light hits the screen its clearly visible...
    09-28-11 01:27 PM
    As others have already said, the screen doesn't scratch easily. But it will scratch against sand or other hard crystal type particulates. I haven't had issues without a screen protector (S2, 9650, 8330, iP4) but if you're prone to bad luck, it couldn't hurt to have one. What's 20 dollars for some protection haha
    09-28-11 01:29 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD