Hello, Crackberrians. I have a 9930 on Verizon. It fell off a table onto a tile floor, and the screen is now clearly broken, but not cracked. (Well, there is a crack in the upper right hand corner, but that predates this problem.) Everything about the phone still works: Wi-Fi, phone calls, touch sensor, etc., it's just too dark/distorted to see more than texts and email. All of the colors seem reversed, and the backlight is very, very dim. Pictures and most webpages just look black. I can just make out text messages and emails, so that's good. Selecting anything (e.g. scrolling in Twitter) makes it so dark as to be unreadable.

I'm a year from a subsidized upgrade, didn't buy insurance, and the warranty expired a month ago. I'm contemplating buying a replacement screen. Does this seem like a problem that is isolated to the screen, so that if I buy a new screen it'll work? I'm not worried about the disassembly/reassembly, as I took it apart on the off chance that the flex cable that connects the screen to the mainboard had come unseated and that was the source of the problem. It was just fine, and everything still works now that I've put it back together.

What do you think? If I buy a (new) replacement screen+touch sensor for US$50, do you think it'd work?
    10-21-13 02:06 PM
    Replacing the screen/digitizer doesnt seem too tough. There are plenty or videos to help you and places to purchase the tools to do the job right.

Id try that before spending the big bucks on a new device!

Best of luck!
    10-21-13 03:02 PM