Hey guys,

So I have a scratch right in the middle of the screen that when a white background is showing, produces a rainbow effect line. Aside from replacing the screen itself, I have searched and tried some of the suggestions that people said.

I tried:

1. Buying Megauir's PlastX polish (Did not do anything except make the screen real shiny)
    2. Toothpaste (No results)
    3. Candle Wax (Similar to the vaseline method, produced no results)

Now some methods that I did not do yet that people were mentioning:

1. Applesauce polish
    2. Eye glass repair kit
    3. Brasso

After the first three attempts, I am getting quite discouraged. yet I also heard that if I put a screen protector over the screen, the scratch would be less noticeable. Is this true? Does anyone have any proof that this would work and also which skin did they use?

I did notice that when I was cleaning my screen with a moist wipe, the moisture created a rainbow effect that made the scratch go away. I'm thinking maybe with a non reflective matte screen cover may help, but I'm not quite sure.

Any thoughts?

Julian
    06-15-09 03:50 AM
    If its a deep scratch then a screen protector will not help much. I would definitely stick a screen protector on if you haven't already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 06:55 AM
    Ouch.........Order a new screen and replace it,its not that hard,just be careful
    06-15-09 08:20 AM
    OUCH!

Ok, so I saw that I could order the lcd lens only, so I decided to take my phone apart and just use my case opening tool and pry out the lens. I thought I could take the lens out and maybe even get that scratch out!

so the Point of the story here, kids, is:

Some things just weren't meant to be fixed.

So because I thought I could replace a $15 dollar lens instead of buying a $80 LCD unit, I ended up buying:

1. A NEW LCD UNIT + EXPRESS SHIPPING ($$$$$)
    2. New keyboard with Red numbers (I never liked the white ones)
    3. New titanium bezel (figured since my bold was taken apart, i'd change my scratched oem bezel)
    4. Mugen 1800 extended battery (always had an issue with battery life)
    5. Case mate fuel (hey, why not since I'm freaking buying everything else
    6. pink trackball for my gf's 8310 (shes mad that I'm only buying stuff for myself)
    7. AND FINALLY, dun dun dunnnnnn, a BSE screen protector!!!!

hahah

jeez i feel like a dork...

Julian
    06-16-09 12:27 AM
    Glad to hear that everything worked out for you in the end. Yea, there have been several horror stories of people trying to replace just the lens, not worth it. The thing with the LCD screens is that you need to make sure you get the correct one of the 3 that exist for the Bold.

Chris
    06-16-09 01:42 AM
    yea, thanks for the words of encouragement!

It took me awhile to figure out which LCD screen I had. The only way was to sift through ebay auctions of lcd screens to indicate which one I had.

002/004!
    06-16-09 01:55 AM
    How do you tell which screen you need? (hope it won't happen ... but!).
    06-16-09 01:59 AM
    OUCH!

Ok, so I saw that I could order the lcd lens only, so I decided to take my phone apart and just use my case opening tool and pry out the lens. I thought I could take the lens out and maybe even get that scratch out!

so the Point of the story here, kids, is:

Some things just weren't meant to be fixed.

So because I thought I could replace a $15 dollar lens instead of buying a $80 LCD unit, I ended up buying:

1. A NEW LCD UNIT + EXPRESS SHIPPING ($$$$$)
    2. New keyboard with Red numbers (I never liked the white ones)
    3. New titanium bezel (figured since my bold was taken apart, i'd change my scratched oem bezel)
    4. Mugen 1800 extended battery (always had an issue with battery life)
    5. Case mate fuel (hey, why not since I'm freaking buying everything else
    6. pink trackball for my gf's 8310 (shes mad that I'm only buying stuff for myself)
    7. AND FINALLY, dun dun dunnnnnn, a BSE screen protector!!!!

hahah

jeez i feel like a dork...

Julian

And All Because Of A Little Scratch On The Screen!!!
    06-16-09 02:04 AM
    On the back of the current LCD is a serial number, match them up.

Chris
    06-16-09 02:07 AM
    If you take your lcd out, there are three methods (because there are three different types of lcds) that you use to tell.

take a look at this picture and if your lcd looks like one of them, then you will be able to find which number corresponds to your lcd

this picture was taken from this ebay item: Blackberry BOLD 9000 LCD screen display 002/004 - eBay (item 360161479448 end time Jul-09-09 07:17:47 PDT)

Julian
    06-16-09 02:11 AM
    And All Because Of A Little Scratch On The Screen!!!
    serious!!!

I should go on that new AETV show: obessed!

Its about people with OCD and I certainly have blackberry OCD!!

(according to my gf)

Shes falling into that category herself. haha

Julian
    06-16-09 02:12 AM
    Thanks Julian, that's what I was looking for to link or post, but couldn't find it.

Chris
    06-16-09 02:12 AM
    np

I actually posted a new thread to clarify...

Julian
    06-16-09 02:15 AM
    quick question,not that i need it but what happens if you put the wrong numbered lcd screen on
    06-16-09 03:25 PM
    I believe either the pins are different or just that the screen doesnt come on...not quite sure...

Julian
    06-16-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD