I've been reading about the new OS for the Bold and how excited everybody is about being able to switch from EDGE to 3G. That, for sure, is a great feature. But shouldn't we really just be angry that we don't get a reliable service (3G) that we pay for?

Rant over.....
    06-23-09 09:27 AM
    Depends...the good thing of being able to switch between the two is that you can conserve battery life if you're on Edge/2G

Personally, I'm with Rogers...there are only a handful of places that I travel to where I don't have 3G coverage.

Again, I do put my Bold on 2G when i'm at 50% batt life halfway through the day and will not see a charger for another 5-7 hrs, I'd be angrier if this option didn't exist for me.

Its like having a bluetooth compliant phone, only to have the feature disabled by my carrier... what a **** off.
    06-23-09 09:33 AM
    Eh, I personally don't have any huge issues when it comes to coverage, but I can see your point. Well, I hope the choice helps you out some, I personally just liked having the freedom if I were to need it, but that's just my two cents.
    06-23-09 09:38 AM
    Yes, I would be pissed also. AT&T is fine here, no issues. I had horrible service from T-Mo. Very much geographic.
    06-23-09 09:43 AM
    Better 3G coverage would be nice and is greatly desired. (Un)fortunately for me I work in an older building and only receive an Edge signal. It tries to find a 3G signal, but that only drains my battery. Having the option for Edge only is a life saver.
    06-23-09 09:45 AM
    Yeah my friends with AT&T have great signal where I have horrible signal and vise versa. I don't get why that is since T-Mo and ATT share cell towers, no?
    06-23-09 09:47 AM
    Yeah my friends with AT&T have great signal where I have horrible signal and vise versa. I don't get why that is since T-Mo and ATT share cell towers, no?
    Different freqs, though. May be different strengths, also.
    06-23-09 09:52 AM
    I've been reading about the new OS for the Bold and how excited everybody is about being able to switch from EDGE to 3G. That, for sure, is a great feature. But shouldn't we really just be angry that we don't get a reliable service (3G) that we pay for?

Rant over.....

AGREED %100000000000
    06-23-09 09:58 AM
    it's definitely a pisser that they (AT&T) put out 3G without it working flawlessly in all areas, and advertised/marketed it to a point where we feel we NEED to have it, but what can we do now except make the best of it no?

I had T-Mo before so I wasn't really a 3G person to begin with-for the longest I used wifi when I needed faster speeds (it's just about everywhere I go). Maybe it doesn't bother me because I have great signal where t-mobile is/was non existent at any speed. I had a lot of dropped calls on 3G, and the drain on the battery isn't worth it to me, so while it's nice to know I have it, what I'm really paying for is the ability to use my device as I see fit when I need to, and I couldn't always do that using 3G.
    Last edited by TeritaM; 06-23-09 at 10:13 AM.
    06-23-09 10:10 AM
    I guess if I rarely ever saw 3G on my phone I'd be a bit upset. The only time mine goes to EDGE is when I'm in the hospital.
    06-23-09 10:18 AM
    I ran Speedtest on my Bold over the weekend. On 3G I registered around 140 kbs. That was with full 3G signal. On Edge I registered around 130 kbs. I read about other people here getting 700 kbs and wonder if they are delusional or I just have crappy service. When Verizon gets LTE I know where I'm headed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 10:21 AM
    It doesn't bother me too much. My phone stays on 2G most of the time anyway to conserve battery life. Also you have to understand 3G in many areas still runs on 1900mhz, so naturally someone will find they have better service with 2G/Edge which is on the 850mhz band.
    06-23-09 10:28 AM
    my problem isnt with my 3G service. Its great where i get it. The power is one reason i do it but i power my phone every night and i can at my work if need too. But my issue is with my 3G to EDGE handoff. I drive over an hour to work. the land between Austin and the small town I live in doenst have 3G service so i ALWAYS drop calls at the handoff. It annoys me to no end.
    06-23-09 10:35 AM
    my problem isnt with my 3G service. Its great where i get it. The power is one reason i do it but i power my phone every night and i can at my work if need too. But my issue is with my 3G to EDGE handoff. I drive over an hour to work. the land between Austin and the small town I live in doenst have 3G service so i ALWAYS drop calls at the handoff. It annoys me to no end.
    I think that this is my major issue. Constantly dropping calls. If I have to hear that damn "call failed" tone again I'm gonna throw the phone against the wall!!
    06-23-09 10:54 AM
    I think that this is my major issue. Constantly dropping calls. If I have to hear that damn "call failed" tone again I'm gonna throw the phone against the wall!!
    Man i feel just like you do. I get call failed every single day. Either that or i end up talking to myself not realizing the call quit and im looking at my home screen. pisses me off. i want to get off AT&T. 2 things prevent me. breaking contract lease and having to come up with the money for another phone. will only accept bold or 8900
    06-23-09 12:20 PM
    Are you mad at RIM because you're carrier has crappy coverage?

06-23-09 02:01 PM
    Are you mad at RIM because you're carrier has crappy coverage?

Not at all, the point of the original post was that I shouldn't be happy "dumbing down" my phone because of my carriers crappy service. If the hardware was designed to run 3G and I pay my carrier good money for 3G, then the 3G should work properly!
    06-23-09 02:15 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lwoodsjr View Post

Agreed!
    06-23-09 02:41 PM
    I can see where you guys are going, however, where I'm at, 3G signal is strong and it never affected my battery life.

I tested the battery lifr difference between a strong 3G signal and EDGE and there is absolutely no difference here.

06-23-09 03:16 PM
    I live in South Louisiana and at least 3 times a day get dropped calls, I can scream when i see that commercial that they have the least drop calls.
    06-23-09 05:44 PM
    I have only had maybe 2 dropped calls with my Bold since ATT release. I have very good 3G coverage where I am and rarely see EDGE on my phone. I'm sorry you guys are getting poor coverage. But for those who have good coverage, you know how good it is.
    06-23-09 06:02 PM
    My Bold switches between 3G and 4G. By doing so, its conserving human life on earth...

Going 2G would be suicide, even concidered an abomination, just to conserve battery life.
    06-23-09 06:28 PM
    This option is a great thing to have...

several months ago, we had some serious issues with 3G in our area(Michigan). Any UMTS/3G device...if it had an active data session would not receive incoming calls or SMS. huge issue. I had to complain for a while to get it fixed. It was tower specific.

On my Treo 750 when I was home, i would simply move it to the GSM only 2G option. Wife's HTC Tilt did not have this option without a hack.

At times like that, it is nice to be able to choose.
    06-23-09 06:47 PM
    I noticed that today.
    06-23-09 06:50 PM
    I don't think its sad... its a ATT problem, not a problem with the OS or the Phone itself.
    So far, I like the chances of changing between 3 and 2 g. Hopefully this option stays when 5.0 comes out.

The drop call issue? Never had it. Every time I've gotten it, it was because I was calling someone who's on sprint >.>

And its VERY nice to also go force to Edge when I'm getting ready for a long ride. That'd mean running through cities and running through different levels of service.
    The signals I have gotten: 3G, Edge, and... GPRS from my rides. I have to admit, sometimes I find it odd to stop at a gas station, outside of Bakersfield California, and only have Edge.................
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 06-23-09 at 06:57 PM.
    06-23-09 06:54 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD