I have had my bold about 8 months now and love it, and protect it. Today at work the trackball seemed gunked up and the screen seemed dirty so I thought I would clean the Bold.

As far as I can recall I did not use any crazy pressure to do so, i sprayed a bit of LCD cleaner "all purpose anit-static glass and case cleaner" direct on the center of the screen and proceeded to wipe. I did not power down. I did spray on direct althought exceedingly carefully (apparently this is a no no). (I did not get any spillage over the screen)

Anyhow, the result - screen has excessive ghosting that 40 min later is not going away.

I sat my baby down to type this and I look back and its DEAD DOA dead. No juice at all, did a battery pull and nothing no lights no nothing.....OMG I feel sick.

Whats my next step - call Rogers? How will they react to this - is this a warranty covered or am I screwed? Should I just go to a rogers store?

#$##@#@$% wow, i am totally lost. Help.

TYIA
    Sean
    07-21-09 09:13 AM
    I have had my bold about 8 months now and love it, and protect it. Today at work the trackball seemed gunked up and the screen seemed dirty so I thought I would clean the Bold.

As far as I can recall I did not use any crazy pressure to do so, i sprayed a bit of LCD cleaner "all purpose anit-static glass and case cleaner" direct on the center of the screen and proceeded to wipe. I did not power down. I did spray on direct althought exceedingly carefully (apparently this is a no no). (I did not get any spillage over the screen)

Anyhow, the result - screen has excessive ghosting that 40 min later is not going away.

I sat my baby down to type this and I look back and its DEAD DOA dead. No juice at all, did a battery pull and nothing no lights no nothing.....OMG I feel sick.

Whats my next step - call Rogers? How will they react to this - is this a warranty covered or am I screwed? Should I just go to a rogers store?

#$##@#@$% wow, i am totally lost. Help.

TYIA
    Sean
    Strange, I've sprayed glass cleaner all over my phone before, nothing like that happened to me... I now spray it on the cloth and then wipe down the phone.

Suggestions for water damage is to take your battery out and pack your phone in a bowl of rice and let it sit for a few days. This will hopefully soak up any moisture left in the phone itself.

07-21-09 09:39 AM
    ok Rogers is replacing it. New batt at Rogers store, plugged into computer etc didnt help. No power...

Question now, i had the password protection and all that, but I have a lot of sensitive stuff on the machine - will Rogers be able to view any of it? it is backed up so I am not worried about that.

Sean
    07-21-09 09:41 AM
    Strange, I've sprayed glass cleaner all over my phone before, nothing like that happened to me... I now spray it on the cloth and then wipe down the phone.

Suggestions for water damage is to take your battery out and pack your phone in a bowl of rice and let it sit for a few days. This will hopefully soak up any moisture left in the phone itself.

I will do the rice - but I have to say, I just dont see how a clean screen could do that. I didnt soak it - this is very scary for me, Rogers could say it is water damage - your problem....how do i prevent this or know in advance this could happen? or the fact thats it was ghosting....the 1st girls reaction at Rogers was did you drop it? i didnt...

anyone have thoughts on these? I have no problem paying if I legit damaged it, but I just dont see how my actions could have caused this....obviously something did happen - the timing states that. But what it is.....

I mostly want to prevent getting a $700 bill from Rogers at this point...

Anyone have thoughts who has dealt with Rogers previously? Or for that matter any company in these similiar circumstances.

thanks
    Sean
    07-21-09 10:09 AM
    anyway to change the title of this or dump it in the rogers forum so I can get some responses?

thanks
    07-21-09 02:54 PM
    ok Rogers is replacing it. New batt at Rogers store, plugged into computer etc didnt help. No power...

Question now, i had the password protection and all that, but I have a lot of sensitive stuff on the machine - will Rogers be able to view any of it? it is backed up so I am not worried about that.

Sean
    So, is this a warranty replacement?

I doubt Rogers even looks at them closely. They probably just ship 'em back to Cambridge after a quick attempt to power up and a visual check of the water dot marking.
    Last edited by Spazmogen; 07-21-09 at 08:37 PM.
    07-21-09 08:34 PM
    As long as you didn't pour liquid into the machine somehow and damage the water mark then you will be fine.
    07-21-09 08:50 PM
    So, is this a warranty replacement?

I doubt Rogers even looks at them closely. They probably just ship 'em back to Cambridge after a quick attempt to power up and a visual check of the water dot marking.
    Hi yes its under the one year....funny thing i did tonight - out of panic for the thought of water being in there from over spray or from the cloth or whatever, i did the rice thing - then got rice inside it and suddenly realized in a panic that it would be much worse to have to explain the rice.....uuugh...lol, anyhow, to funny. (I got the rice out)

im a little more relaxed, but still stressed - i actually feel this must be a defect as a small amount of anti static cleaner and a good wipe should not have had this result....

I checked the 3 visible water marks and they are snow white, but how many more exist who knows....i am sure they must use some benchmark for the damage - as in 4 out of 10 water damaged = no free fix for you...or whatever.

All i know is i never imagined how much I rely on my bold - calender an email and text - i couldnt phone my dad tonight as my cordless phone was dead and i had no idea the number to use my other cell....pathetic isnt it?

anyhow, thanks guys/gals for your help....anyone else wanting to share Rogers feedback on this, i would love to hear it.
    07-21-09 10:06 PM
    Just call Rogers, tell them the issue, they'll try to troubleshoot the issue with you, which may or may not get it going again.

Chances are they will send you a refurbished unit and be done with it, I seriously doubt it's water damaged, it may just be coincidence. I've installed BSE and so has a lot of other people here and that requires actually wetting the screen protector so I don't think you damaged your device.

You should get your refurb unit by Monday if you call tomorrow.

Good luck.
    07-21-09 10:14 PM
    Just call Rogers, tell them the issue, they'll try to troubleshoot the issue with you, which may or may not get it going again.

Chances are they will send you a refurbished unit and be done with it, I seriously doubt it's water damaged, it may just be coincidence. I've installed BSE and so has a lot of other people here and that requires actually wetting the screen protector so I don't think you damaged your device.

You should get your refurb unit by Monday if you call tomorrow.

Good luck.
    Thanks, I have ordered it as of this morning and am hopeful to have it by Friday. I will update the group what happens after that - I think these kind of threads are great for people in this same situation in the future.

Sean
    07-21-09 10:18 PM
    YIPEE!! I just got a call from my wife, it was just delivered!! WHew - its crazy how much we can depend on these things....

Back to my one unanswered question - I had PW protection on my now FUBAR'd Berry, is there anyway RIM or Rogers can access that info? Not that they would want to...but is it possible? anyone?

Funny enough I got it to boot up long enough to delete the one file I was very concerned about, but there are still others...

thanks again
    Sean
    07-22-09 09:45 AM
    I got the replacement in my hands, apparently Rogers charges $599 if you dont return yours, and $200 if you do and they detemine the damage is your fault - so i guess thats liveable in a worse case scenario.

Hope this helps someone else who is in this situation.
    Sean
    07-22-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD