08-15-09 02:09 PM
217 1234 ...
tools
    I am not sure why people would want tethering anyways as i never use it cause its SO slow of a way to use internet.

Anyhoo i forgot to mention i used crackmen v3.4 and removed sample pics and wallpaper and flicker and whatever else crap i did not want.

Now i was able to do this ONLY cause it WAS a Official Release with the Vender.XML still being USED as i am a rogers customer.

To do this, just simply check the boxes you don't want and hit EXECUTE (blah blah blah) then of course hit WIPE and within in 5 min the phone was updated.. leaving me with a bare OS wnad 59-62MB free of memory thus far ... no third party apps, none of my themes and no BM and so forth.

Awesome..... i will test more.
    07-04-09 06:05 PM
    I am not sure why people would want tethering anyways as i never use it cause its SO slow of a way to use internet.
    I always like how people make FALSE and unsubstantiated claims. Your obviously not the sharpest tool around.

With BT tethering I can get a sustained speed or 130 kb/s. That is not slow. That is MORE than enough for mobile internet access.
    With USB tethering you can get even high speeds.

Next time learn about what you are talking about before you write something stupid.
    07-04-09 06:08 PM
    Not to undermine you, but that is not always an absolute statement to make as many carriers like rogers will tweak the os'es for there software and also tweak some other thinsg to run smoother and faster, less buggy.
    As far as I know the only difference between carrier builds are themes and any other carrier specific items that they may add (such as product icons etc.)

There is no chance that they would be able to modify any of the core RIM applications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 06:22 PM
    I always like how people make FALSE and unsubstantiated claims. Your obviously not the sharpest tool around.

With BT tethering I can get a sustained speed or 130 kb/s. That is not slow. That is MORE than enough for mobile internet access.
    With USB tethering you can get even high speeds.

Next time learn about what you are talking about before you write something stupid.
    LMFAO >>>>>> OMG 130 KB/s thats so ridiculas i almost fell off my chair.

I love WIFI and my HIGH-SPEED 15MB internet Connection.... HAHAHHAHA ... GOL DANG IT >>>>>> Tethering is like using DIALUP.

Sure maybe fast for browsing.... lol.... thats all.

Now in case your still pissy, we live in the same province .. why not come over to my house 8 hrs away and we can talk.
    07-04-09 06:23 PM
    Anyhoo i forgot to mention i used crackmen v3.4 and removed sample pics and wallpaper and flicker and whatever else crap i did not want.

Now i was able to do this ONLY cause it WAS a Official Release with the Vender.XML still being USED as i am a rogers customer.
    You can use CrackMem with any OS, officially released or not. Personally, I'd remove the Vendor.xml file even if I were installing an OS released by my own carrier.

07-04-09 06:27 PM
    LMFAO >>>>>> OMG 130 KB/s thats so ridiculas i almost fell off my chair.

I love WIFI and my HIGH-SPEED 15MB internet Connection.... HAHAHHAHA ... GOL DANG IT >>>>>> Tethering is like using DIALUP.

Sure maybe fast for browsing.... lol.... thats all.

Now in case your still pissy, we live in the same province .. why not come over to my house 8 hrs away and we can talk.
    Again you make a Fool of yourself. Tethering is not meant to be used as your MAIN internet connection. It is meant to be used as your mobile internet connection when a wifi connection is not available. I know you cant stream your star trek episodes over 130kbs, but it is more than enough to download files, check email, browse and do any other general internet jobs. And if you really need to download a movie or something large, 130kbs will get it done. Sure its not 1+mb/s but it is enough to get you where your going.

Again i stress, Tethering is not meant to be used as a main internet connection. It is a mobile connection
    07-04-09 06:28 PM
    The point of tethering is if you DON'T have a wifi connection.

07-04-09 06:30 PM
    Yeah Yeah, go buy a wifi router ... instead of tethering.

As for the Edge Service it is faster then tethering and so is 3g well of course 3G is faster.

Heck even most hotels and motels usually have WIFI SERVICE.
    07-04-09 06:35 PM
    what... they broke bluetooth tethering...

then it's pointless
    07-04-09 06:36 PM
    Rayford, I resent that remark about STAR TREK. I am a trekker and I do know quite a bit about cell phones, rofl. I am not like xamdam.
    no offence to the ST community.
    07-04-09 06:37 PM

As for the Edge Service it is faster then tethering and so is 3g well of course 3G is faster.

xamdam you sound like you are about 12 years old. If you are older well you have the personality of someone much younger.

Again you make statements that are utter rubbish. "Buy a wifi router.." Are you st u pid? or just SLOW?

As for using the EDGE over BT, you only get about 30-50 kb/s. Again learn what you are talking about before you make a claim. Why dont you try tethering and see what it is like.
    07-04-09 06:39 PM
    <has never used bluetooth tethering. My computer is my computer, my cell phone is my cell phone.
    But your cell phone is also a modem.
    07-04-09 06:40 PM
    Xamdam you seem to be ignoring me about my comment that you can remove pre - installed wallpapers, etc. WITH OR WITHOUT being on Rogers, lolol.
    Yeah, but unfortunately when i have tried either way . guess what the pics were removed, the media was not and flicker and so forth apps i did not want are still there.

So i will now retract my earlier post and state that with all that crap still on and basic install gave me 59-62MB free memory.... WOOT.
    07-04-09 06:43 PM
    xamdam you sound like you are about 12 years old. If you are older well you have the personality of someone much younger.

Again you make statements that are utter rubbish. "Buy a wifi router.." Are you st u pid? or just SLOW?

As for using the EDGE over BT, you only get about 30-50 kb/s. Again learn what you are talking about before you make a claim. Why dont you try tethering and see what it is like.
    LMAO>>>>>> dude its tethering ... = it is slow = i hate slow speeds for anything including the EDGE service.

As for my age .... i post as a younger fella as it appears that the majority in here are teens..... i am infact 37 years old.

As for my statement about buying a wifi router is not stupid ....... go buy one to save you your slow headaches.
    07-04-09 06:45 PM
    Xamdam, I did downgrades and upgrades and CrackMem successfully got rid of pre - installed stuff.
    Werid as i only could get rid of certain things only, using crackmem v3.4

My bold is unlocked, but not unbranded ... is yours?
    07-04-09 06:46 PM
    Also, xamdam, there is "no way" you received that much app memory free, as 282 is a larger program than 266.
    DUDE seriously it was at 59MB free after bootup ..... no third party apps and used crackmem to remove certain things, hoped it did more, but it didn't and it was basic OS install ..... nothing else.... meaning no bb maps, no APPS like bb messenger and so forth and so forth ...... just the 4.6 core and 4.6 whatever checked off.
    07-04-09 06:48 PM
    Ok right now with my third party apps and my THEMES and Like many apps installed....... ****...... i got 50.2 FREE SPACE STILL.

.... yeppers...... i must take a SNAP SHOT
    Last edited by xamdam; 07-04-09 at 07:04 PM.
    07-04-09 06:52 PM
    37 years old? LMAOWLMALMOLMAWO....
    07-04-09 07:04 PM
    37 years old? LMAOWLMALMOLMAWO....
    Yeah man .... i like talking younger as i hang around some 22-25 year olds and man language today is like to youngish .... compared to years ago.
    07-04-09 07:08 PM
    I get feelings from people xamdam, you are NOT 37, lol. It would be nice to be young again like you, as I'm female and 57.
    I am 37 ... seriously and i have a 10 year old son.

Now enough about me and my age and so forth, lets stay on topic as I am not the topic.

By the way i am still waiting now for phone to initialize again after installed bb maps and bb messenger and a few other apps ... to see what memory is left over.
    07-04-09 07:15 PM

Imagine working at a client site. Policy dictates that you can't plug your laptop into their network. No Wifi either. You need to access your work email which can't be done via your BB (its your own device and not plugged into the corporate BES). What are you going to do? Exactly, you're going to tether.

As for hotels/motels. Yes, most have a wifi signal, but most are still running 11b connections or you have to pay an arm and a leg to use it. I'll tehter rather than pay.

07-04-09 07:17 PM
    wtg Aric, good point in favor of tethering. I'm not in business though. I'm retired already.
    Yeah good point for tethering, but like many people ... i am one who says ... WHO CARES....... lmao

By the way the phone has now booted backup and has all my apps on and bb messenger and bb maps and much more like before and i have 51.84mb FREE space as i type this.
    07-04-09 07:29 PM
    the only thing i noticed is the the waiting clock appears all the time when i'm doing something and my battery life sucks now all of a sudden any suggestions.
    07-04-09 07:38 PM
    My battery life has increased a ton in the day and a half since I've upgraded to 282 - here's hoping it can be maintained.
    07-04-09 07:40 PM
    My bold is unlocked, but not unbranded ... is yours?
    Newbie here but just wondering, what's the difference? Unlocked I know means that it can be used with different carriers. I do have an unlocked bold myself. But what does UNBRANDED mean?
    07-04-09 07:40 PM
217 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD