The differences between builds are tiny. I'll bet if we did a blind trial with hidden version numbers 95% would be unable to detect any difference between .247, ,.266, .282 and at least half would report the same version performed better or worse than the previous install on their own phone if they we lied and said a new build had been installed.
    This is perfect. So true.

You mods are doing a great job here - Branta and Crucial - but this thread is pretty whacko. Good luck!
    07-05-09 09:23 PM
    Juist to note and answer a few posts.

I always wipe before the install cause I like a clean os install, but yes it is not needed per say unless
    your having issues, but I wipe to make sure or hope clean install is much safer bet to not having issues.

.282 is better then .266, but like I noted slightly better in some areas, better overall = yes.

So was it worth me going from .266 vodafone to .282 rogers, I say heck yes and I like it a lot better.

Its snappier, more memory and so forth like I noted, well at least for me.

The best thing I suggest is to try it yourself and do a clean install.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 09:32 PM
    This is perfect. So true.

You mods are doing a great job here - Branta and Crucial - but this thread is pretty whacko. Good luck!

I second that!

KB, did you upgrade yours?
    07-05-09 09:36 PM
    I second that!

KB, did you upgrade yours?
    I upgraded to the EastAsia .282 awhile ago and am not switching to the Rogers .282, even though I am on Rogers, as they are identical builds.

But I was on .226 for awhile, if that's what you mean. And now .282. I think .282 is great.
    07-05-09 09:42 PM
    xplode and xamdam I agree with you both. The 282 from Rogers is superior. Same OS, yet my phone acted completely differently with the Rogers Version. It's a keeper. So this thread isn't complex at all. You do have to do what Branta said and try out the OS for yourself. 282 from China almost killed my Bold, yet 282 from Rogers is a blessing. Branta BRAVO for letting people know that trying is the only way, but to myself I did prove that though the core applications may be the same on the same OS from different countries, there has to be something different as the one from China should have worked and it didn't.
    I trust certain carriers with my device software. Il pass on a company that i feel is not up to par.
    07-05-09 10:02 PM
    Upgrading my phone to .282 Rogers from .282 East Asia! Wish me luck : )
    07-05-09 11:10 PM
    I upgraded to the EastAsia .282 awhile ago and am not switching to the Rogers .282, even though I am on Rogers, as they are identical builds.

But I was on .226 for awhile, if that's what you mean. And now .282. I think .282 is great.

Ah ok. I saw on your profile that you have .266 so that's why I asked. I'm going to upgade mine as soon as I get my refurb. Yes, don't ask. LOL
    07-05-09 11:37 PM
    Wow.. HUGE HUGE HUGE Difference for me from .282 East Asia to Rogers Version.. Ran 31 MB after a battery pull and I'm really an application hog.. and right now I just installed the Rogers version and got 51 MB! This is amazing. Hope battery life is good.
    07-05-09 11:41 PM
    Rogers version runs like a dream... So fast..
    07-05-09 11:46 PM
    yes indeed...very snappy
    07-05-09 11:53 PM
    Just updated to the rogers .282. Was running .247. I think the picture thumbnails are noticeably slower to load. Also, when I first booted up after updating, it took FOREVER for the media to scan. And by forever, I mean longer than it used to. Also, I am seeing more free memory available. About 10 more MB's, give or take. So far, I don't hate it.

07-06-09 03:47 AM
    Actually, I may have spoken too soon... This thumbnail issue is indeed frustrating.

07-06-09 03:58 AM
    yep the thumbnails do open noticably slower maybe i will try .247 see what thats all about
    07-06-09 07:31 AM
    But the Rogers version on pics loading is much improved over the east asia version in my opinion. Battery life is also noticeably better along with the previously mentioned additional memory
    07-06-09 07:35 AM
    Well darn it all! I tried the old version .282 twice (wanted it to work for me so badly), but because of RF reception issues in my office, I had to revert back to an earlier version OS. This new Rogers version came along and I tried it today. Followed ALL of the recommended upgrade steps as usual. Initially the signal did seem to be better... BUT I got several APP ERROR 523 plus I couldn't access my media card, as after several reboots it was still scanning and the progress bar on the bottom showed less than 5%.

Everyone else that got this new Rogers .282 version, congratulations! Some how, this one is not for me and I'm successfully back on .266 (.247 is good, too).

Happy 4th of July to all!!!
    Seems like you have corrupted db files that you are carrying over from os to os.... try this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/tho...-282-a-257888/
    07-06-09 08:45 AM
    But the Rogers version on pics loading is much improved over the east asia version in my opinion. Battery life is also noticeably better along with the previously mentioned additional memory
    Is the rogers and asian OS on the same build number? If so there is zero difference between the two as Crucial said earlier in this thread.
    07-06-09 08:46 AM
    just upgrade to 282 rogers from 282 east asia

i can confirm my free memory up from 51 mb to 58 mb after quickpull

awesomee
    07-06-09 09:19 AM
    Is the rogers and asian OS on the same build number? If so there is zero difference between the two as Crucial said earlier in this thread.
    i thought so previously

however the free memory won't lie

the number speak for themselves
    07-06-09 09:20 AM
    I have never had problem with free memory.... I will give it a shot but I have a feeling it will be a waste.
    07-06-09 09:31 AM
    Seems like you have corrupted db files that you are carrying over from os to os.... try this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/tho...-282-a-257888/
    I used JL Commander for the wipe. Any idea what db file I should be looking for. I reverted back to .266 and have had zero problems. Works perfectly.
    07-06-09 12:07 PM
    Like i stated when i first made this entire thread and along the way as many will continue to state that these are the same build numbers = same build no matter what.

But i am glad many have upgraded to the rogers OS from the Asia OS .282 and noticed what i was saying all along, no two phones act a like, but bloody **** my eyes don't lie and nither do i when it comes to FREE memory.... READ ALL MY POSTS and you will get my full review.

The picture LOAD time on initial bootup like i stated was slow of course as the phone would need to adjust still to the load up and so forth, but after an hour or so the pictures load up within seconds, NOT huge seconds, but like 1-3 seconds and then once loaded up and you scroll down the pictures the next ones will load up in 1-3 secs. This is far faster then the Vodafone version .266 as it would take i swear 5-10 secs to load pictures.

Now if you will all excuse me why i Gloat over my sucess in making this thread and talking from my 37 year old experience.... Try the OS for yourself and see if it makes you see what i see and if not DO a wipe... heck do it anyways before hand..... best OS install on ANYTRHING from PC's to MOBILE devices is a FRESH clean Install.

Thks

07-06-09 12:12 PM
    xplode and xamdam I agree with you both. The 282 from Rogers is superior. Same OS, yet my phone acted completely differently with the Rogers Version. It's a keeper. So this thread isn't complex at all. You do have to do what Branta said and try out the OS for yourself. 282 from China almost killed my Bold, yet 282 from Rogers is a blessing. Branta BRAVO for letting people know that trying is the only way, but to myself I did prove that though the core applications may be the same on the same OS from different countries, there has to be something different as the one from China should have worked and it didn't.
    This goes to prove many things i stated ... certain carrier builds even though they are same name builds and YADA, YADA, YADA ..... remember like i stated certain carriers like ROGERS = Quality and time and effort into making sure the OS is the best they can provide for their customers.

This OS is far superior then the Asian one..... don't ask me why as you may get an EAR full....
    07-06-09 12:15 PM
    I used JL Commander for the wipe. Any idea what db file I should be looking for. I reverted back to .266 and have had zero problems. Works perfectly.
    Have you tried completely bricking the phone and installing it fresh? Follow the steps as mentioned in the thread I referred to earlier and let me know if you see different results because I did notice a difference.
    07-06-09 12:15 PM
    just upgrade to 282 rogers from 282 east asia

i can confirm my free memory up from 51 mb to 58 mb after quickpull

awesomee
    Awesome.... see me no lie..... me no lie.... dang it .... me no lie.....
    07-06-09 12:16 PM
    THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ASIAN BUILD AND ROGERS:

HOW AN OS BECOMES OFFICIAL (Using Verizon as an example -- but could be ATT):

1. RIM generates a new OS Build about every two to 3 days on devices being actively developed. Each build is represented by the last two or three numbers of the OS version. (For example 4.7.0.113) The vast majority of these never leave RIM. Some are just tested in the lab by the programmers themselves before moving on to another build.

2. Some of these are sent out to a wider circle of testers also inside RIM for further testing. (From what I’ve been able to gather Crackberry’s own Crutial_Xtreme is one of these testers)

3. The best of the above builds are then sent out to partners (cel phone providers, software developers, etc.) for further testing. It is at this point that there is the possibility of a leak since the installer files actually leave RIM facilities.

4. Cel providers (Verizon for example) then take these builds and test them. Software developers use them to test applications they are working on for compatibility (and no doubt send notes back to RIM about them, though since RIM has already moved on they probably mostly tell them what they already know, but I’m sure additional issues surface at this stage as well.)

5. The very best of these are submitted to a team called TA (Testing Assurance) who test the crap out of the releases for about two weeks. If there are any major bugs found then they reject it and move onto the next good candidate.

VERIZON DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO TO ANYTHING TO THE RELEASE. That’s right VZW can not change the code or anything. They accept or reject (and no doubt send back notes to RIM) and that is all, the most they can do is substitute a revised theme. Each OS build is set and can not be changed.

6. If a carrier decides to release an OS they replace the vendor.xml file with their own values and may replace the theme file or include a non standard app (a RIM app they want to distribute like Facebook or something home grown like the VZTones) and specify what language packs to include and that’s the extent of what they can do.
    07-06-09 12:56 PM
217 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD