There seems to be a lot of disinformation and wild guessing here. To put it bluntly, the only practical difference between the releases is the suported languages. Withthe exception of language files you should be able to make a binary comparison and show the key program files are identical between .282 CSL and .282 Rogers.

To clarify a few points:

The different carrier releases of the same build use exactly the same core files. That's what "build number" means, its the sequential number assigned when it is compiled (built) from source code, and leaving aside human error each number is only assigned for one compiler run. Here we are talking about build 4.6.0.282

The differences between carrier releases of the same build are
    (a) The Vendor.xml file which is unique to each carrier, and is used to link the release to a specific vendor's supported phones.
    (b) The Language Pack which simply provides the files for different user languages.

Fortunately if vendor.xls is not found by the loader program the default behavior is to install the OS anyway, so we can install any compatible OS without restraint simply by deleting the file. Any differences here don't matter because the file is only used by the installer, it never goes onto the phone.

The language pack is usually one of two options, either Multilanguage (English and most western hemisphere), or East Asia (English, a few other european, and the East Asia-Pacific languages). Each language has several files, and the available range are individually selectable to install or not in Desktop Manager. That means if you want English it doesn't matter which language pack version you use. If you want Chinese you need East Asia, if you want Greek you need Multilanguage. If you need Greek and Chinese you need to start reading our forums and hacking install files. Whichever release provides the files, if the files appear in both packs (e.g English support) they will be identical.

Now to what is NOT different between the carrier releases. All the themes, icons, multimedia bloatware and "special" carrier applications like Visual Voicemail (only installed on AT&T devices) are actually present in all carrier releases. Their installation is controlled by the phone's VendorID and matching entries in the OS install files. That means a USA user with an AT&T phone will get Visual Voicemail installed regardless of whether it comes from the CSL EastAsia release, or the Rogers Multilanguage release (or the AT&T release if they ever decide to support .282). The user with a Rogers branded phone will never get VVM, no matter which carrier's release is used to install. A user with Rogers VendorID will get any Rogers icons, themes, or other features - exactly the same from any carrier's release. (OK, this assumes you do the standard install without hacking the files to open or remove anything).

Right, is that simple enough for you? You've heard it often enough now. If we can't get these simple facts in through your eyes and ears there is no hope for you, your skulls are too thick and you should not be allowed to own a Bold
    LMAO >>>>>

Ok, OK i get it now, but bloatware in some carriers = no bloatware in other carriers = more FREE memory for those ROGERS people....

As for specfic speed differences it would be about the same as all carrier releases.
    07-05-09 02:39 PM
    Ok here is my conclusion.

.266 slower in picture and load time, .266 lesser signal quality, .266 wifi was dropping out here and there, .266 email settings page interface is uglier (lol), .266 lesser FREE memory by about 10mb less with all the bells and whistles i have loaded up.

.282 is all GOOD and faster loading for apps and all of the above .266 is not, better signal quality = 2 bars mostly now in my area instead of the average 1 bar signal i got with .266 and dropped calls like maybe 3 out of 10 would drop out and not only that i would get a lot of CALL FAILED when trying to call people on .266, but so far .282 i rarely get CALL FAILED and i so far have not had a dropped called YET..

.282 has a newer email settings page, fresh looking and i like it.

I will update my SIGNATURE to reflect i am running .282 Rogers.
    Last edited by xamdam; 07-05-09 at 02:47 PM.
    07-05-09 02:44 PM
    One more thing i forgot to mention.

Battery Life on both .266 and .282 seem to be aroubd the same, but i did notice on .282 so far if idle not doing anything the battery would drain around 10% in 2 hours..... WOWZER as fo .266 it would be around 15%.

Now that being said...... phone calling is about the same percentage a 2 hour call on .266 wasted around 60% and as for .282 it was around 50-55%.

So basically i still get my 4.5-5.0 hours of straight talk time like the ADVERTISED battery life is suppose to be.

Now that being said.... READ MY LETTERS HERE i always, always, always .... HAVE WIFI enabled.

My phone under moderate usage gives me around 10-15 hours = around 15%-20% left before i charge it up at night = 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to fully charge up.

Now that being said.... its similar to .266 usage.
    07-05-09 02:56 PM
    It's funny how differently peoples' handsets seem to be reacting to the update. One would think there shouldn't be very much variation at all, no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 03:21 PM
    It's funny how differently peoples' handsets seem to be reacting to the update. One would think there shouldn't be very much variation at all, no?

That is true and it is surprising to see so many different results.

The basic conclusion i find is in how people actually do the upgrade and restore process.

1. I first backup my stuff
    2. I then properly backup my third party apps (properly = there is a proper way)
    3. I then open up crackmem v3.4 i use still and not checked if any newer version is out.
    4. I then choose the OS i wnat to install and hit confirm OS.
    5. I then hit WIPE (a box comes up asking to confirm BrickMyPhone) yes type that in and hit NEXT.
    6. Then the APPLOADER loads up .... NOT BB MANAGER ... then follow the instructions, I only install the 4.6 core and 4.6 software, nothing else.
    7. Once the install is complete - 5-10 min.
    8. I then go to bakup and retstore in BB Manager and RESTORE my Backup info.
    9. I then go and Restore my Third Party Apps.

10. ALL DONE and Ready To fly on my Bold.

So when it is done right and efficiantly you should have a FAST ARSE bold.....

Now of course not all bolds will be the same just like no two cars are the same, but in most cases they all should be very similar in traits.
    07-05-09 03:37 PM
    I suspect it's less about the method people use to load a new OS and more about the apps people load afterwards and how they are used, how many are left running in the background, how many location aware apps are used etc.

The only way to make a reasonable comparis on is if people load the same configuration of the OS and no other apps.

07-05-09 03:54 PM
    This update has improved my memory and it constantly stays above 40mb now (up from 35 on .266). That's all I've really noticed for now.
    07-05-09 06:15 PM
    I'm having the same issue, as posted on the news item on the main page, by GapBoyPCS:
    2. Someone posted this on HoFo. If you set your Alarm Volume to "Ascending", it only comes on at Low.
    Can anyone else confirm/deny that they're encountering this? Switching to Low, Medium, and High works fine, but Escalating does not seem to function properly.

Other than that, I haven't found any other problems for me, as of yet. Picture thumbnails are really fast after the initial thumbnail scanning. I can't attest to whether or not battery life is having similar issues for me, yet, as CSL's release did.
    07-05-09 06:17 PM
    Do you guys always wipe before you upgrade? I just did my first upgrade and didn't wipe before because I was too nervous.

Should I learn to do this in the future?
    07-05-09 06:26 PM
    In my opinion yes.........but that is my opinion.
    07-05-09 06:31 PM
    I did my first wipe, only because this OS messed up my wifi icon, and it worked once it was wiped, new install.
    07-05-09 06:35 PM
    I usually always wipe before upgrading my OS just out of habit. I don't have a basis, other than habit. I guess it's just gives a peace of mind factor to me, that the OS will install on a clean device with no potential for issues with configuration/options. I do restore my information/preferences, so it may/may not make a difference.

I had to re-wipe on this one, because I had to restore my backup, before re-installing my 3rd party applications. I tried doing the opposite, and my restore attempts failed.
    07-05-09 06:41 PM
    Hmmm ok I guess I will start doing it on the next OS...
    07-05-09 07:02 PM
    Do you guys always wipe before you upgrade? I just did my first upgrade and didn't wipe before because I was too nervous.

Should I learn to do this in the future?
    No there is no reason that you should wipe the device before each upgrade. Technically, the device is wiped during the upgrade process. The only reason you should need/have to wipe is if you are experiencing some serious problems. If you're not, it's an unecessary step that should be avoided.
    07-05-09 07:05 PM
    Welp that saves me some grief thanks a lot mate.
    07-05-09 07:07 PM
    Thank you for the information Crucial_Xtreme
    07-05-09 07:09 PM
    Hmm thinking if I should download this build on my Rogers branded Bold? .266 has become quite the battery hog even on EDGE lately.
    07-05-09 07:10 PM
    No there is no reason that you should wipe the device before each upgrade. Technically, the device is wiped during the upgrade process. The only reason you should need/have to wipe is if you are experiencing some serious problems. If you're not, it's an unecessary step that should be avoided.
    exactly what CX said
    07-05-09 07:10 PM
    Crucial you still out there? I know this is off topic for this thread but on another thread we a talking 16 versus 8 cards does it impact or slow down the phone? tx and sorry for being off topic for this thread
    07-05-09 07:38 PM
    Another thing I noticed about the Rogers version is the better memory stability. Very little to no leak on mine!! Holding at 54.16mb
    07-05-09 07:39 PM
    Is it worth it to upgrade to the Rogers version from the east asia version?

07-05-09 07:57 PM
    YES YES YES 1000 times YES in my opinion lol
    07-05-09 07:58 PM
    I have had Zero complaints with the Rogers release.. A+
    07-05-09 08:15 PM
    One thing I want to make sure of. Only one or 2 people had opinions on... Is the thumbnail load time better than the other .282 (and by better, I mean instant like .266)? That was my only problem with the east asia version

07-05-09 08:44 PM
    IT is much better than the East Asian version........
    07-05-09 08:47 PM
217 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD