I have noticed better signal strength when comparing this OS to the csl version of .282 and also when comparing to vodafone version of .266.
    I also found that this rogers verison is holding my memory better than the csl version of .282.
    07-04-09 07:46 PM
    what... they broke bluetooth tethering...

then it's pointless
    Nope, I just tested it. Bluetooth tethering works exactly the same as all previous builds. Nothing has changed.
    07-04-09 07:51 PM
    Ok so far i now have 52.15mb FREE SPACE after all my apps = a lot of apps installed and restored all previous bold apps like bb messenger and so forth.

This is awesome compared to .266 only giving me around 39mb FREE after all of this.

All is well so far ... all apps working like .266 did.

The pictures seem to load faster then .266 did, no super lagg and waiting, no of course it lagged at first cause the system needed to settle down, but after that they load fairly quickly.

As for WIFI speed it is same = FAST like .266 did/does.

As for signal strengh it is the same thusfar as .266 is.

I don't know about dropped calls yet, but .266 was doing so here and there, but i am in a 1-2 signal bar area at home, so it is to be expected.

As for battery life, well it was at 100% about 20 min ago and it is nw at 97%, but this is in no way stating anything ..... i must test for a day or so.

As for Faster loadup time .. it is faster from a RESET mode then .266 is and as for turning the phone off an on. Its about the same speed = FAST.

So waht has changed it faster loadups from RESET and Pictures seem to load faster, stable thus far .... i must test longer.

Over all it is slightly better then .266.

One major thing i have more FREE memory on .282 then on .266 .. i have about 10mb-12mb more free after all my installs and so forth.
    07-04-09 08:07 PM
    There seems to be a lot of disinformation and wild guessing here. To put it bluntly, the only practical difference between the releases is the suported languages. Withthe exception of language files you should be able to make a binary comparison and show the key program files are identical between .282 CSL and .282 Rogers.

To clarify a few points:

The different carrier releases of the same build use exactly the same core files. That's what "build number" means, its the sequential number assigned when it is compiled (built) from source code, and leaving aside human error each number is only assigned for one compiler run. Here we are talking about build 4.6.0.282

The differences between carrier releases of the same build are
    (a) The Vendor.xml file which is unique to each carrier, and is used to link the release to a specific vendor's supported phones.
    (b) The Language Pack which simply provides the files for different user languages.

Fortunately if vendor.xls is not found by the loader program the default behavior is to install the OS anyway, so we can install any compatible OS without restraint simply by deleting the file. Any differences here don't matter because the file is only used by the installer, it never goes onto the phone.

The language pack is usually one of two options, either Multilanguage (English and most western hemisphere), or East Asia (English, a few other european, and the East Asia-Pacific languages). Each language has several files, and the available range are individually selectable to install or not in Desktop Manager. That means if you want English it doesn't matter which language pack version you use. If you want Chinese you need East Asia, if you want Greek you need Multilanguage. If you need Greek and Chinese you need to start reading our forums and hacking install files. Whichever release provides the files, if the files appear in both packs (e.g English support) they will be identical.

Now to what is NOT different between the carrier releases. All the themes, icons, multimedia bloatware and "special" carrier applications like Visual Voicemail (only installed on AT&T devices) are actually present in all carrier releases. Their installation is controlled by the phone's VendorID and matching entries in the OS install files. That means a USA user with an AT&T phone will get Visual Voicemail installed regardless of whether it comes from the CSL EastAsia release, or the Rogers Multilanguage release (or the AT&T release if they ever decide to support .282). The user with a Rogers branded phone will never get VVM, no matter which carrier's release is used to install. A user with Rogers VendorID will get any Rogers icons, themes, or other features - exactly the same from any carrier's release. (OK, this assumes you do the standard install without hacking the files to open or remove anything).

Right, is that simple enough for you? You've heard it often enough now. If we can't get these simple facts in through your eyes and ears there is no hope for you, your skulls are too thick and you should not be allowed to own a Bold
    07-04-09 08:28 PM
    How do i downgrade? back
    07-04-09 08:47 PM
    @ Branta... Thanks for the clarification. Makes perfect sense to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 08:55 PM
    I found the CSL version of 282 not to have as robust radio as earlier releases.

My bold liked very much 185 and 247.
    07-04-09 11:14 PM
    Oh, and the bluetooth tethering thing is fixable, you just need to download a custom compiled pppd and install it.. there's a thread on this here.

Et-Setera � BlackBerry Bold PPPD Replacement
    07-04-09 11:15 PM
    i installed the new OS its lagging big time, how can i fix this? even tried a battery pull
    07-04-09 11:38 PM
    Try a reinstall. What sort of lagging are we talking about. Note that lagging does occur after start up for the first 2min or so.e
    07-05-09 12:14 AM
    yeah i waited for awhile, it takes a few seconds to scroll through the icons
    07-05-09 12:19 AM
    posting this via tethering on my .282 Bold...NBD
    07-05-09 12:44 AM
    And now in a completely unrelated question
    When do you suppose AT&T will release .282?
    And when they do it will NOT be necesary to
    Cut out the vender xml file correct?

07-05-09 01:10 AM
    Yeah, you won't have too but some people do it anyway... Rogers and AT&T won't be any different though...
    07-05-09 01:26 AM
    Great fix. Works so well. .282 BT tethering FIXED!!! YAY
    07-05-09 01:32 AM
    Aric I would like your point of view. Did you try 282?
    I haven't tried .282 so I can't offer a point of view. I'm running .266 and haven't any issues that would make me want to upgrade at this point in time.

07-05-09 07:40 AM
    Well one thing I noticed is with the other 282 version I started with 51mb on memory. With this Rogers release I started with 55mb.
    wow, is it truee

its worthwhile then to have 5mb jumps in memory

i'm using 282 (Asia) at the moment
    07-05-09 08:04 AM
    I just upgraded and now my IBerry 3G theme is not working properly. The 'Messages' and 'Calendar' lines on the home screen don't show any sub lines. In fact, if an email comes in, there is a blank line as a placeholder but no text. Update, I just tried it again and now the message shows up. No pending Calendar meetings though.
    07-05-09 08:16 AM
    I love the Rogers .282 version more memory, better battery time, pictures load quicker than with the other .282 version it is a keeper and GREAT in my opinion
    07-05-09 08:43 AM
    I agree with that the East Asian version was a nightmare. I had nothing but issues and had to charge my phone more than once a daily even on none high usage days!!
    07-05-09 08:51 AM
    hi I read this whole thread and some one mentioned having unlocked phone. Can some one assist me in providing the unlock code if I give my imei number. I know this is off topic but I thought it was best way to ask that I was looking for. I am still on .247 and my BB is stable as ever and doing very well. Though I shall soon try to upgrade one of these days to another official release.
    07-05-09 09:04 AM
    Just call your carrier and say you are travelling to Italy
    07-05-09 12:18 PM
    Wow, this is kind of a bitchy thread.

Anyway, after careful consideration and lengthy deliberation I have decided to go with the 282. I was this close to grabbing 5.100, but who has time to beta test, nah mean? Good to know I have so many rabid BB users to rely on for insults/advice. Oh, btw... riddle me this: why doesn't the "wireless update" widget say I have an update?

07-05-09 12:49 PM
    I switched to this version from the other 282 and yes I have more free memory.
    07-05-09 12:50 PM
    Thanks for the lengthy info, but my question still wasn't answered. WHICH system is better? 266 or 282?
    You're not going to like my answer... whichever one works best for you, on your phone, at the locations you need it to work, with the applications you need to use.

I'm serious, the only way is to give each one an extended test for several days of typical use, and compare them yourself. There is so much bull talked here in forums about radio performance, memory data and usage, and speed of applications. The reports are so contradictory it is highly unlikely that all users are right. User assessment must be partly controlled by subtle points like different usage patterns - and probably a certain amount of subjective interpretation and preconception.

The differences between builds are tiny. I'll bet if we did a blind trial with hidden version numbers 95% would be unable to detect any difference between .247, ,.266, .282 and at least half would report the same version performed better or worse than the previous install on their own phone if they we lied and said a new build had been installed.
    07-05-09 01:17 PM
217 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD