Rogers to launch BlackBerry Bold Thursday
    August 18, 2008
    RECORD STAFF
    WATERLOO

The BlackBerry being pegged as the iPhone killer will launch this Thursday.

Rogers Wireless spokesperson Elizabeth Hamilton confirmed that the wireless carrier will unveil Waterloo-based Research In Motions BlackBerry Bold smartphone on Thursday and make it available in stores next week.

The third-generation wireless device is being billed as the fastest in the BlackBerry lineup. The launch follows Apple Inc.s July launch of its iPhone in Canada. Like the Bold, the iPhone operates based on the third-generation wireless standard.

The BlackBerry Bold has already been launched in some European countries on a staggered schedule.

The phone features a number of new consumer-friendly features, although the largest demand is expected to come from business professionals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the local newspaper I noticed this article this evening. This is the clearest indication of a release date from Rogers that I have seen. About time.
    08-18-08 11:10 PM
    Weird. My thread about the Thursday launch was deleted... anyways, I talked to Elizabeth and she actually confirmed that phones are already on there way to stores and should be there in the following days. Some will receive them sooner than others though, so be sure to call ahead to check.
    08-18-08 11:38 PM
    Weird. My thread about the Thursday launch was deleted... anyways, I talked to Elizabeth and she actually confirmed that phones are already on there way to stores and should be there in the following days. Some will receive them sooner than others though, so be sure to call ahead to check.
    Deleted? here it is..http://forums.crackberry.com/f73/rog...ug-21st-62839/ But this is the third thread created today for this topic. Lets post new comments in the link I posted from the previous threads.
    08-18-08 11:43 PM
    Ya I read this in the globe and mail also,so when will I be able to go to rogers and accually buy it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 07:15 AM
    I would buy an unlocked version from somewhere else, in fact anywhere else, rather than buying from Rogers.

Why pay $399 plus your CDN taxes for a 3 year agreement (What a joke) and off contract at $649, thats even worse! and the device is locked and has Rogers stamped on the front, no thank you!

Canada needs more competetion when it comes to Mobile service and HW choices.

Take my advice and buy yourself an unlocked and unbranded device, it might take a little longer to procure, but its worth it.

Thats my 2cents on this way over hyped Rogers Bold launch

CWG
    08-19-08 07:48 AM
    Take my advice and buy yourself an unlocked and unbranded device, it might take a little longer to procure, but its worth it.

Thats my 2cents on this way over hyped Rogers Bold launch

CWG

You can buy an unlocked Bold, but it certainly won't be cheaper than $650, at least not right now and won't be for a while. You also won't be able to buy an unbranded Bold either so any unlocked Bold you buy, will have a carrier stamp on it. RIM doesn't sell unbranded devices to to consumers, but everyone here already knew that.
    08-19-08 10:09 AM
    Just got this in the email
    08-19-08 12:46 PM
    yah I got a email from rogers about the launch

http://www.Vx1.net/emailthing.jpg

Vx1 - Information & Technology

its on my web server no probs
    I got the bandwidth
    08-19-08 12:52 PM
    You can buy an unlocked Bold, but it certainly won't be cheaper than $650, at least not right now and won't be for a while. You also won't be able to buy an unbranded Bold either so any unlocked Bold you buy, will have a carrier stamp on it. RIM doesn't sell unbranded devices to to consumers, but everyone here already knew that.
    what he means if hes paying 650 outts contract for it to be locked and branded rodgers no way cause he can go and buy it unlocked/unbranded for the same cost
    08-19-08 03:28 PM
    Actually I spoke to a rogers representative today and he told me it's comming out on the 3rd Week on September "to be precise" <-- Exact words. I don't know what the **** is going on with RIM but i've come to a point where I might just go grab a iphone.
    08-19-08 04:49 PM
    Just got my email... Thursday is the day...
    08-19-08 05:45 PM
    Actually I spoke to a rogers representative today and he told me it's comming out on the 3rd Week on September "to be precise" <-- Exact words. I don't know what the **** is going on with RIM but i've come to a point where I might just go grab a iphone.
    Well in the paper today it was saying the release of the bold this thursday the 21 on rogers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 05:52 PM
    i m getting my bold thursday at 8:30 am sharpe , can t wait for it
    08-19-08 06:13 PM
    i m getting my bold thursday at 8:30 am sharpe , can t wait for it
    Sounds GREAT. I happy for ya bro!!! I'm sure you will love it!!
    08-19-08 06:41 PM
    re: 2nd week sept

I heard the same non sense from rogers reps today
    but I got the Email for Thursday from rogers too.
    I called Rogers head corp store 333 bloor and they
    told me tomorrow .. so we'll see

who ever gets it tomorrow or thursday post a action
    shot with ur new bbbold!
    Last edited by vx1; 08-19-08 at 07:15 PM.
    08-19-08 07:03 PM
    Sounds GREAT. I happy for ya bro!!! I'm sure you will love it!!
    Thanks , i will definitly let you know Thursday night
    Last edited by FaBerry; 08-19-08 at 10:31 PM.
    08-19-08 07:36 PM
    Maybe you didn't hear. I know the chances of it happening are VERY slim, but on CNN/HLN it mentioned all the problems iPhone is facing, world wide, not just at&t. Oh yeah, and they mentioned a world wide recall. I know, thats crazy. It happened to be the same day of the "bigfoot" news conference, if that means anything. If I have to wait til Christmas I'll have the Bold. I am very happy with my Curve, and I am not interested in try more "dumb" smart phones. Just my $.02.
    08-19-08 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD