OK so I happen to have two Bolds with me and I am swapping parts (going to give my GF one of them) anyway... mine is a Roger's Bold and the second one is an AT&T bold.

Rogers=Made in Canada
    AT&T=Made in Hungary

...at least in my particular case.

So having the phones completely apart first thing I notice on the AT&T Bold is that the trackball metal bracket wasn't fully clipped down. The phone is AT&T sealed and this is the first time it's taken apart. The phone is only two weeks old. So I pop the bracket off and straighten it out and pop it back on. All is well. Secondly two of the screws holding the midplate down were cross-threaded and were extremely tight. Taking out the screws reveals stripped metal. Screws tough to put back in.

Next: the LCD on the Roger's is noticably brighter, sharper, and contrastier @ 100% brightness on both, viewing the same pic, on the SAME OS.

It's an obvious difference.

Last when I press the call/end/trackball on both devices, the AT&T Bold's LCD does the "ripple effect" and looks nasty as you touch buttons. The Roger's is rock solid and the LCD is not affected by button presses.

This explains a lot of the AT&T issues people are having with the Bold, namely the wavy LCD/button press thing.

Roger's BOLD MADE IN CANADA FTW!

07-01-09 10:19 PM
    I have my AT&T Canda made Bold. I have none of the issues mentioned But You guys with the Hungarian Bold should trade it in or something lol.
    07-01-09 10:25 PM
    How can you tell where a certain device was manufactured ??
    07-01-09 10:39 PM
    How can you tell where a certain device was manufactured ??
    It says it on the box and underneath the battery, I believe.
    07-01-09 10:40 PM
    Hmm, mine's AT&T Mexico.
    07-01-09 10:44 PM
    It says it on the box and underneath the battery, I believe.

That is correct. My Rogers Bold is Made in Canada and the build quality is excellent. It likes to reboot or shut off on it's own though.
    07-01-09 10:44 PM
    My at&t bold is made in Mexico and I have had no build quality problems so far. I haven't been able to compare with any other Bolds however.
    07-01-09 11:15 PM
    To be honest if a bold is built is ca or mx its actually up to the quality control rep to blame I can assure you that the same company that installed the manufacturing equipment in Mexico installed the same Cell phone electronic manufacturing equipment in Canada
    07-01-09 11:24 PM
    My Bold is ATT made in Hungary and the build quality is great. I do get a little bit of the ripple effect, but it is not bad at all. I'm completely satisfied with my Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 12:02 AM
    Any ripple effect is unacceptable to me. My Rogers has NONE whatsoever. By the way I just made a stupid mistake, I tore the ribbon cable on one of the LCDs (was trying to swap them). The cable lifted off of the pins. $44 later on ebay, new one is being shipped. Version 002/004. When i booted the screen, the lcd was haywire. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!! be careful when lifting the ribbon cable off of the main board if you EVER remove your LCD!
    07-02-09 12:36 AM
    yea mines made in mexico. build quality is pretty good. i do get the ripple effect, but only when i touch the lcd or apply pressure to areas that border the lcd (which imo is normal), but definitely not when i touch those buttons u mention. thats a manufacture defect issue right there.
    btw. there are defininalty two different screens the bb bold was built with. apparently there is a quality/brightness difference?
    i dont know which mine is, but it looks pretty good to me. so yea.
    07-02-09 01:11 AM
    Unbranded...made in canada...woot woot.

07-02-09 01:23 AM
    T-Mobile branded Bold, made in Hungary.
    No defects, works pretty good.
    If quality is ****ty, it can't be blamed on where the phone was made, only on the QA guys.
    07-02-09 01:39 AM
    That's right Made in Canada...

We take pride in our things... even if they all eventually end up in america (i.e. Wayne Gretzky, Basketball, Blackberry, Jim Carrey, Alberta Oil)

Happy Canada Day my fellow Canadian brothers!
    07-02-09 03:14 AM
    i agree with bordapapa
    07-02-09 04:39 AM
    my at&t canada bold was less well made than my hungarian bold.
    07-02-09 05:31 AM
    I have the AT&T Bold and mine says it's made in Canada. I love this Blackberry, it's been the best of all my previous BB's!

I have no problems the buttons or effects of my screen. I've even taken mine apart several times to put in colored trackballs and never had any issues with the set-screws. Not sure if that is because as stated it was made in Canada versus other countries, but now it makes me think about it so that if I ever need a replacement Bold I would like the Canadian manufactured one!
    07-04-09 10:23 AM
    my bold was made in mexico havent seen any weak links yet i think its all the luck of the draw
    07-04-09 01:22 PM
    Any ripple effect is unacceptable to me. My Rogers has NONE whatsoever. By the way I just made a stupid mistake, I tore the ribbon cable on one of the LCDs (was trying to swap them). The cable lifted off of the pins. $44 later on ebay, new one is being shipped. Version 002/004. When i booted the screen, the lcd was haywire. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!! be careful when lifting the ribbon cable off of the main board if you EVER remove your LCD!
    I only get the ripple if I apply pressure onto the screen. Otherwise, no ripple. So it's not biggie for me.
    07-04-09 01:28 PM
    my Bold was created by God. It has no effects, there for this thread is biased.
    07-04-09 02:42 PM
    My Hungarian Bold is just fine. No issues whatsoever. I do get a very small amount of ripple when plugging in the charger, but nothing on any of the buttons. Trackball is rock solid. And I frequently pocket mine, sometimes (very infrequently as I don't carry very often) in the same pocket as my .380. AT&T branded BTW, got it on release day when the store opened.
    07-04-09 05:34 PM
    My Bold is ATT made in Hungary and the build quality is great. I do get a little bit of the ripple effect, but it is not bad at all. I'm completely satisfied with my Bold.

Hi folks
    Not sure just what the ripple effect is but after reading this and looking at the box it is made in Hungary also. But am really satisfied with the phone. Of course I just use a few apps mostly productivity and the GPS and I've got to much on my plate to spend time tweaking it to death like I used to do on my truck also...lol....I agree quality issues start with the mfg. QC program and it's implementation.......Happy 4th yah'll
    07-05-09 12:47 AM
    If I have the ripple effect problem can that be something that I can trade in for or do I just have to live with it, because I notice it quite often.
    07-05-09 01:54 AM
    My at&t Bold was made in Canada, no hardware issues so far. I've had it since mid November.
    07-05-09 11:33 AM
    made in Mexico- no ripple effect.
    07-05-09 11:42 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD