First of all, yes I've searched the forums and read some of the replies.

My question is more as to WHY I won't be able to get 3G connectivity.

My understanding is that a Rogers 9000 operates on 2100, 1900, and 850MHz (as far as 3G goes) and a Wind blackberry operates on 2100 and 1700.

So... Couldn't my Rogers Bold operate on the 2100MHz frequency on the Wind network? Obviously it's unlocked.

And if this doesn't work, how does it work for Wind customers with a Blackberry when they leave a Wind zone? Wouldn't it transition to a Rogers tower? Or as a Wind customer, do you lose all 3G data functionality outside of a Wind home zone?
    09-04-11 09:00 AM
    Wind is on UMTS and Rogers is on GSM/HSPA that is why no 3G.. . only 2G.
    09-04-11 11:51 AM
    Wind is on UMTS and Rogers is on GSM/HSPA that is why no 3G.. . only 2G.
    Are there any other Canadian carriers whose smartphones, unlocked Blackberries specifically, would work with Wind's 3G network?
    09-04-11 12:58 PM
    Are there any other Canadian carriers whose smartphones, unlocked Blackberries specifically, would work with Wind's 3G network?
    Mobilicity
    09-04-11 01:02 PM
    First of all, yes I've searched the forums and read some of the replies.

My question is more as to WHY I won't be able to get 3G connectivity.

My understanding is that a Rogers 9000 operates on 2100, 1900, and 850MHz (as far as 3G goes) and a Wind blackberry operates on 2100 and 1700.

So... Couldn't my Rogers Bold operate on the 2100MHz frequency on the Wind network? Obviously it's unlocked.

And if this doesn't work, how does it work for Wind customers with a Blackberry when they leave a Wind zone? Wouldn't it transition to a Rogers tower? Or as a Wind customer, do you lose all 3G data functionality outside of a Wind home zone?
    Here's the thing... With Wind, they operate on the 1700 AND 2100 frequencies. When information gets uploaded from the phone, it is uploaded with the 1700 mHz and when information is received (Downloaded) it is 2100. Sure, the Rogers version has 2100, but not 1700. This means that in theory the phone, when used on Wind's network, will only be able to receive information such as texts and download from the internet but NOT upload anything.

Usually when carriers mention what spectrum they use they only indicate the uploading frequency. Wind is referred to as 1700 (or AWS... AWS = 1700 mHz). Rogers, Bell and Telus are on the 850 mHz (I actually have no clue what frequency Rogers Bell and Telus [Robelus] use to download).

If you use a Robelus phone on Wind's network, it would only work with Wind Away, which obviously wouldn't make sense because it's like you can only roam while on Wind. Nonetheless, using a Wind phone on Rogers is a little different as the phone will still function perfectly fine, except you'll only be able to use Rogers' 2G connectivity and not the 3G. A WIND phone will ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK WITH NEITHER BELL NOR TELUS. This is because Bell and Telus do not have a 2G network (they used CDMA in the past).

To answer your other question in regards to what would happen if a wind phone was to be used outside its coverage zone... Yes it would switch to Rogers, but it would only be Rogers' 2G network. All phones that require a sim-card (including those from Wind) will work on Rogers for 2G connectivity. Some SIM-card phones can only work on Robelus' 3G, whereas the others work on the Wind's 3G network. But for 2G technology, it's the same all over the world, however it's a different story for 3G, and even more different for "4G".

Hope my long explanation helps. I'm a current WIND user so I had to do all this research myself before I was able to switch carriers from Fido to Wind.
    Last edited by Ndrwzheng; 09-05-11 at 07:14 PM.
    09-05-11 07:09 PM
    tmobile's 9900 will get 3g as well as videotron ..
    09-05-11 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD