I've been really anticipating the bold release for some time now as I'm sure plenty of people on crackberry have. I was planning on purchasing a bold from at&t and unlocking it to t-mobile when they decided to release it but I found out that at&t and t-mobile will not be running on the same 3G frequencies. I was wondering if anybody knew if Rogers and t-mobile will be running on the same 3G frequencies and Rogers is said to be releasing the bold July 25th. Thank you in advance.
    06-30-08 05:45 PM
    3G rogers and AT&T are partnered to my knowledge. So you auto-roam when you are in the US on a Rogers phone (my experience) so I don't believe you will get 3G speeds.
    06-30-08 06:05 PM
    the bold is triband 3g....HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 . it has the frequencies that rogers and at&t uses so roaming is no issue. i believe t-mobile is gonna be using a new 3g frequency that hasn't been seen in north america yet. i also think t-mobile 3g network isn't here yet.. correct me if im wrong cuz i am not sure, but i think the t-mobile network is in testing or something like that. i think t-mobile will be using the 1700 frequency
    06-30-08 06:16 PM
    Sorry reading that I was really unclear. What I wanted to say was Rogers and AT&T both use the same bands. T-Mobile uses its own avmsam is correct. You can use the phone on TMO, just no 3g.
    06-30-08 07:00 PM
    i don't even want to think about the charges for data when roaming. i imagine rogers would go crazy with those.
    06-30-08 07:17 PM
    If T Mobile is using a new 3G frequency such as 1700, that sucks for all the customers. You are allready limited to the number of 3G phones available in the states because north america and the rest of the world use different bands. So this means there will be a second band for North American 3G that the manufacturers will not be so eager to include in the phones.
    07-01-08 05:16 AM
    That really sucks. Looks like I will be forced to switch to at&t if t-mobile doesn't release the bold.
    07-03-08 06:30 PM
    Rogers Roaming on BB plan is $0.01/kb, so pin and minimal use is not that bad...

The BOLD is hot... I lie the new browser... it's like OM but the BB browser.. the kepypad is sleek, and the way it fits in your hand is drool fest.. lol...
    07-03-08 11:33 PM
    is 3g of at&t and T-mobile different?i don't think so,i think that the difference is PLAN of them
    07-04-08 01:30 AM
    If T Mobile is using a new 3G frequency such as 1700, that sucks for all the customers. You are allready limited to the number of 3G phones available in the states because north america and the rest of the world use different bands. So this means there will be a second band for North American 3G that the manufacturers will not be so eager to include in the phones.
    Europe is testing the 1700 band because it superior to the what the rest of the world is doing. TMO is the pioneer in this. Slowly but surely, Europe will roll out phones on this Band.
    07-04-08 01:55 AM
    everything the rest of the world does is superior. north america always wants to be different. look at the 850 band... it was soo annoying to find a phone with that until manufacturers started making quad band fones.

t mobile in america won the auction in the wireless spectrum and so i think they have the rights to the 1700mhz band in the states.
    07-04-08 08:45 AM
    Europe is testing the 1700 band because it superior to the what the rest of the world is doing. TMO is the pioneer in this. Slowly but surely, Europe will roll out phones on this Band.
    Really... interesting.. can you hook me up with some more info about that. I am in mobile media, and I have never heard about that. I also tried searching online without any luck. I will also ask my neighbors at work/ Nokia.
    07-04-08 03:10 PM
    everything the rest of the world does is superior. north america always wants to be different. l
    You are right. I really want to know why in the beginning they decided to start up the CDMA networks. Its because of this EVDO vs. GSM that everything is so far behind at home. If it was only GSM all the money would be in one pot and all the providers could bring new technology earlier, instead of half of them spending so much on EVDO towers&technology and the other half having to spend on GSM towers&technology.
    07-04-08 03:14 PM
    Really... interesting.. can you hook me up with some more info about that. I am in mobile media, and I have never heard about that. I also tried searching online without any luck. I will also ask my neighbors at work/ Nokia.
    this is the closest link i can get to it. but over on HoFo had more info not too long ago.
    MobileTechNews - 3G Americas sees growing interst in AWS frequency band
    07-04-08 03:52 PM
    Good reading... Thanks for the info trini.

07-04-08 07:23 PM
    Rogers Roaming on BB plan is $0.01/kb, so pin and minimal use is not that bad...

The BOLD is hot... I lie the new browser... it's like OM but the BB browser.. the kepypad is sleek, and the way it fits in your hand is drool fest.. lol...
    AT&T has $0.0195/kb which is pretty much $0.02/kb.
    07-04-08 07:24 PM
    just like everything else im sure the manufacturers will eventually include the 1700 3g band after a while. lots of phones have two versions cuz of 3g.

example... the nokia n95 8gb. there's a regular version which has HSDPA 2100 . the us version aka "n95 8gb - 4" has HSDPA 850 / 1900. i remember when there two models of phones cuz of 2g bands. now its 3g bands. some companies are smart and include all 3.... like rim with the bold... which has HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100.
    07-04-08 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD