well I have been to a few rogers locations today and talked to the main corp office in toronto they all told me it was 399.99 for the phone. they were expecting shipments either today or tomorrow

this is a far cry from 199.99

of the iphone .. 3g phone, I don't think rogers is going to
    lower the price out of the box. If anyone has heard anything
    different .. post it
    08-20-08 03:00 PM
    well I have been to a few rogers locations today and talked to the main corp office in toronto they all told me it was 399.99 for the phone. they were expecting shipments either today or tomorrow

this is a far cry from 199.99

of the iphone .. 3g phone, I don't think rogers is going to
    lower the price out of the box. If anyone has heard anything
    different .. post it
    I doubt it will be any cheeper than $399.99. Maybe in 2 years or so.
    08-20-08 03:06 PM
    I agree the price will stay the way they have it, these Canadians are some greedy folks. don't forget the 14% tax on top of that 399 price tag. geez, it's crazy the way they do things here. URGH!! that's ok I will be having to pay the NO contract price my up the booty days are over with these wanna be American cell companies here!! they lie and say everything is shipped that's why it's so high!! yeah right they are cheaters, I live in Etobicoke, Ontario and the rogers here said the same thing when I stopped by the mall this morning.
    08-20-08 03:08 PM
    Actually, the GST is only 5% in Canada and the PST varies so you are wrong about the 14%. Secondly, as a Canadian I take offence to your greedy comments.

I absolutely love this website and board and it pains me to make this my first post but you are rude Sarah. Remember that RIM is a Canadian company and there would be no Blackberry without us!
    08-20-08 04:11 PM
    Actually, the GST is only 5% in Canada and the PST varies so you are wrong about the 14%. Secondly, as a Canadian I take offence to your greedy comments.
    You understand that she is Canadian as well right? And you are also aware that she was referring to Rogers as greedy (yes you have to read between the lines) not the general public. I'm pretty sure she didn't mean an offence. And you are right its 13% for people in Ontario.

But i digress I am also disappointed in the Bold price from Rogers. Considering it is cheaper over seas with a more reasonable voice plans.
    08-20-08 05:58 PM
    trust me., im canadian, and i always complain about how expensive things are here, be it in the telecommunicatinos market or otherwise. usa has stuff way cheaper. and don't give me that whole America has population of 300million and Canada is only 30 million. i've actually had this discussion before in a couple of posts so im not gonna get into it again. its just that in canada, we have too many dam monopolies and sometimte the governmetn doesn't care and sometimes the governemt actually is the reason for high prices because of their taxes.
    08-20-08 07:02 PM
    Doesn't matter if she refers to RIM or Rogers, saying "these Canadians are some greedy folks." is very vague thus could be offensive to Canadian people in general.

Sales tax is not 14% in Canada. It varies by province and it's 12% in Ontario, compromised of 5% GST (Federal Sales Tax) and 7% PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

Get your facts straight. Please.
    08-20-08 08:31 PM
    Doesn't matter if she refers to RIM or Rogers, saying "these Canadians are some greedy folks." is very vague thus could be offensive to Canadian people in general.

Sales tax is not 14% in Canada. It varies by province and it's 12% in Ontario, compromised of 5% GST (Federal Sales Tax) and 7% PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

You are an *****. It's 13% in Ontario. You get your facts straight. PST is 8l, GST is 5.

Also anyone who thought the Bold would be cheaper than 399.99 is slow. Ya sure the curve is 199.99 now but....

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.po...l=WRLS_BuyFlow

The 8820 is listed at 349.99!!! Did anyone really think the Bold was gonna be cheaper than the 8820?! Just because of the "Home Calling Zone".

Ya right.
    08-20-08 10:24 PM
    Yes, it's 8%, it's a typo.
    You are an *****. It's 13% in Ontario. You get your facts straight. PST is 8l, GST is 5.

Also anyone who thought the Bold would be cheaper than 399.99 is slow. Ya sure the curve is 199.99 now but....

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.po...l=WRLS_BuyFlow

The 8820 is listed at 349.99!!! Did anyone really think the Bold was gonna be cheaper than the 8820?! Just because of the "Home Calling Zone".

Ya right.
    08-20-08 10:34 PM

I absolutely love this website and board and it pains me to make this my first post but you are rude Sarah. Remember that RIM is a Canadian company and there would be no Blackberry without us!
    It's not rude it's the truth. rogers & Telus boost up the prices all the time! So on the phone you only pay 5% tax? because where I live we are charged GST & PST and according to the receipt Im looking at from my Pearl I was charged 15% tax (GST & PST) so it's greed!!
    Last edited by sarfrazfamily; 08-20-08 at 10:45 PM.
    08-20-08 10:39 PM
    You understand that she is Canadian as well right? And you are also aware that she was referring to Rogers as greedy (yes you have to read between the lines) not the general public. I'm pretty sure she didn't mean an offence. And you are right its 13% for people in Ontario.

But i digress I am also disappointed in the Bold price from Rogers. Considering it is cheaper over seas with a more reasonable voice plans.
    Thank you for having knowledge to be able to read!
    08-20-08 10:41 PM

My husband just informed me that its actually 13% so there, and I am referring to the Canadian companies if you are Rogers or Telus then Im talking about you! If you are not actually rogers or telus then it wouldn't be about you. But I will not apologize for saying what is correct.
    08-20-08 10:44 PM
    trust me., im canadian, and i always complain about how expensive things are here, be it in the telecommunicatinos market or otherwise. usa has stuff way cheaper. and don't give me that whole America has population of 300million and Canada is only 30 million. i've actually had this discussion before in a couple of posts so im not gonna get into it again. its just that in canada, we have too many dam monopolies and sometimte the governmetn doesn't care and sometimes the governemt actually is the reason for high prices because of their taxes.
    Very well said!!
    08-20-08 10:46 PM
    It's not rude it's the truth. rogers & Telus boost up the prices all the time! So on the phone you only pay 5% tax? because where I live we are charged GST & PST and according to the receipt Im looking at from my Pearl I was charged 15% tax (GST & PST) so it's greed!!
    taxes are not greed.
    08-20-08 10:48 PM
    Well it's greed when there is no reason to charge that much that's crazy!! but Im not gonna sit and debate taxes with someone, that's not the purpose in me coming to this site. I don't agree with it or like it but I deal with it. so whatever 600 price you add a huge tax and also add a fee to activate unless you complain. atleast that's the problem i had. have a good one!!
    08-20-08 10:52 PM
    I agree the price will stay the way they have it, these Canadians are some greedy folks. don't forget the 14% tax on top of that 399 price tag. geez, it's crazy the way they do things here. URGH!!.
    you are lucky you get to pay 399. In many places you have to pay over $700, and it even comes out later. I live somewhere where its supposed to be ''tax free'' but I have to pay more than full price that I would pay back home with rogers. I used to complain back home about rogers and telus and the sales tax. Now everyday I wish I had rogers. I have to pay $600-$1000 for my phones and its supposed to be ''tax free''. Plus there are no data plans, or rebates or incentives or even VOICE PLANS!

All the people in europe have to pay 19% sales tax, you dont see them on here complaining.

And if your are going to make a stupid comment about taxes, dont say you are not here to argue about them. Do you like not having to pay to see the doctor?? Do you like that you or your kids can go to school for free?? then pay the tax and dont complain.

If you are going to make a comment that is not realistic, dont get upset by people arguing with you or pointing out that you are wrong.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 08-21-08 at 02:46 AM.
    08-21-08 02:15 AM
    we pay 17.5% sales tax.

Then again we dont have to pay what you do for phones.

My bold was free on a 18month contract at 30 a month with unlimited data and calls to people on my network. 500 mins any time to other networks and 600 text messages.

You guys get screwed.!
    08-21-08 03:53 AM
    Well I do pay the taxes here and I DON'T get free any thing from Canada. My husband has a job and makes too much money to get any child tax. my kids and husband get OHIP ("free health") but I am American and do not get OHIP. I got cancer last year and had to pay more than 37,000 for treatment. Because the doctor that I had didn't have enough education to do test when i was prego with my 15 month old for cervical cancer. And I had 2 kids close together and my cancer should have been dignosed sooner. Thank God I went home to the states to see a dr and got dignosed properly. so yeah Id rather pay for ins then die because of ignorance. So yeah I complain about it because I have no intentions of getting anything from Canada when i am NOT Canadian and don't ever want to be. My kids and husband are. My kids can go to public school in the states for free as well My kids are too small to go to tschool right now 2 1/2 & 15 mo. If I was in need I could go to the states as well and get hep or assistance. Im not one of these people that wants everything for nothing. But when you have lived somehwere and the tax is 6% then you come somewhere and it's the SAME thing and its 13-14% it's irritating. So this whole Canada is doing a great deed because of health care is crazy. when i was in the states and went to the dr there wasn't alot of crap they handled it because they got paid. but here you get the run around and have to share a hospital room. thank GOd for blue cross blue shield which i pay 287 a month for or I'd have NO insurance. so nope Canada does nothing for me!! The reason I said I didn't want to deabte about it was because I was trying to let it die because it was a misunderstanding but NOOOO you got to come stick your nose in where it isnt needed. the convo had already stopped. geez, drama!! Also I wasn't saying that Canadians were crooks Im speaking fo the Gov't and the mostly Rogers and Telus!! P.S Im not wrong! if i was I would have NO problem saying I was because Im a woman and can admit defeat!
    you are lucky you get to pay 399. In many places you have to pay over $700, and it even comes out later. I live somewhere where its supposed to be ''tax free'' but I have to pay more than full price that I would pay back home with rogers. I used to complain back home about rogers and telus and the sales tax. Now everyday I wish I had rogers. I have to pay $600-$1000 for my phones and its supposed to be ''tax free''. Plus there are no data plans, or rebates or incentives or even VOICE PLANS!

All the people in europe have to pay 19% sales tax, you dont see them on here complaining.

And if your are going to make a stupid comment about taxes, dont say you are not here to argue about them. Do you like not having to pay to see the doctor?? Do you like that you or your kids can go to school for free?? then pay the tax and dont complain.

If you are going to make a comment that is not realistic, dont get upset by people arguing with you or pointing out that you are wrong.
    08-21-08 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD