I went through eight 9650's (shipped from sprint) to get three that didn't have build issues and even then, one had a call button that didn't feel right. This post is useful because it lets others know that their beloved RIM is not up to par as they once were. there is no excuse for a top phone having quality issues. I don't really need any of the features most here complain about not having compared to the competition, but man... now I have endure hit or miss build quality too??

We do RIM no benefit by making excuses for a low quality product.
    09-20-11 12:19 AM
    I have to agree on this one.. currently on my third 9900. First one had a sunken standby/lock button.. second one had an autoscrolling trackpad due to faulty light sensor and now my third set seems to be working fine...

but i still love the phone!!! just wished that i didn't had to through all the exchanging process..

For those with a squeaky trackpad or button, i should suggest you keep the phone and not risk of getting a set that has worst QC...
    09-20-11 01:03 AM
    I went through eight 9650's (shipped from sprint) to get three that didn't have build issues and even then, one had a call button that didn't feel right. This post is useful because it lets others know that their beloved RIM is not up to par as they once were. there is no excuse for a top phone having quality issues. I don't really need any of the features most here complain about not having compared to the competition, but man... now I have endure hit or miss build quality too??

We do RIM no benefit by making excuses for a low quality product.
    What sort of excuses did you make? Didn't you just exchange them for a quality product?

We deployed about 20 9650s and only had a problem with 1.
    09-20-11 01:24 AM
    I finally convinced my wife to drop her iPhone and get a Bold 9930 (by convincing I mean she saw how well it worked and how much better it would suit her). So we order one online and it comes in next day. Its got major issues! The lock button is recessed down into the bezel where you have to use your nail to push it and the buttons next to the trackpad have zero give to them. You have to smash them down hard to get them to press. I told her not to worry as mine is perfect and we will get it replaced.

So we go through the God awful process of sending it back and today she received her new one. This one is worse than the other one. The trackpad is completely screwed in that it is bent badly to the right side. It also barely scrolls when you use it. Also the charging contact has a huge gap in it and it won't charge on the pod that she got with it. It also has gap between the screen and the buttons that causes a major light leak.

Needless sto say she isn't going through the process again of sending it back and I don't blame her. She is sticking with her iphone and RIM just forever lost a new potential customer. I'm all for RIM doing well, but stuff like this really pisses me off. Their quality control is garbage, and customers shouldn't have to send in for 2 or 3 devices just to get one that is built properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Hello,

I really understand your frustration, who wouldn't, but I do believe that you've had plain bad luck with your purchase, think of, what are the odds of this happening to a single person????.

Don't think that RIM is lazy with their QC, on the contrary.

Have you considered buying lotto??. C'mon, cheer up and don't let this awkward experience draw you away from RIMpire.

Regards,
    09-20-11 02:06 AM
    Hello,

I really understand your frustration, who wouldn't, but I do believe that you've had plain bad luck with your purchase, think of, what are the odds of this happening to a single person????.

Have you considered buying lotto??. C'mon, cheer up and don't let this awkward experience draw you away from RIMpire.

Regards,

...Well things happen for a reason.
    It could be bad luck, or as the months go on, the batches that people are getting now are just defective. Surely I think at any case if a customer buys the product they should take it Out of the box before leaving the store to make sure it's Good enough for them to take home...that way they don't waste gas or a phone call to Tech Support or CS who usually do a crummy job at helping...from what I've read on here.
    stephensonpac likes this.
    09-20-11 02:25 AM
    you're not alone.
    my first 9900 had a flickering screen when the brightness was adjusted upwards.
    my second had a defective camera - all my pictures were pitch black
    i'm on my 3rd..
    09-20-11 05:49 AM
    Hello,

Regards,
    LOL, that made me laugh, thanks for the good post. I would never leave, I just thought I had a new convert in my wife. Cheers!
    stephensonpac likes this.
    09-20-11 05:56 AM
    It's management. I've worked in several factories and what ever we were making when someone points out........these parts are cracking.......run them! These parts aren't getting punched out right......run them.

They are more worried about getting things out on time (even if those things are junk) then fix the problem and send a good product. So the good ol send the junk parts, junk parts get sent back to rework or employees get send to customer to rework.

JIT just in time to make a crap product.
    09-20-11 07:05 AM
    I love the phone! Overall build has been good, however, I have a gap between the screen and the bezel on the left side that I can fit my fingernail in. I have a Mexico 5 unit. I'm considering taking it back to exchange the unit. I don't want there to be a gap big enough for things to collect. Is the gap typical to what others are seeing?

09-20-11 07:36 AM
    I'll chime in with my list,
    Mexico 4 9900
    -Squeaky/mushy menu\back buttons
    -not-so-sensitive trackpad (maybe by design since it has a touchscreen?)
    -bottom steel insert with the charging points looks like it isnt pushed all the way into the bezel, there is an edge sticking out
    -battery cover so tight i folded a fingernail trying to open it(such a HORRIBLE feeling), i use a plastic pry tool now. this is opposite to my old 8900 which had a battery cover always on the brink of falling off.
    09-20-11 08:15 AM
    Its usually best if you can get the model of phone you want in store, then you can inspect it thoroughly before you take it home. Not that you should have to do it this way...
    I much prefer to do this for any phone. I had the first Android Phone from T-Mobile (T-Mobile G1) and had a coupe of issues along these lines.

Terrible that RIM has had these issues. I had better luck than that, but I went to the Verizon store to get my phone. I did order a playbook off of Amazon.com and so far so good (knock on wood).

Sorry the iPhone -> Blackberry didn't go so well.
    09-20-11 08:57 AM
    Sad to see your wife actually made the right decision on a device but the actual hardware failed her. I have been on BB since 2006, that is my girlfriend and I. Only real issue we have has was with the S1 (hers) with the screen having a yellow tint. She currently has a Torch touch and loves it, I have the 9930 and love it despite the creaking sounds it makes sometimes on the trackpad. Annoying yes, enough for me to send it back, no. I just grind my teeth or turn up the TV volume or radio if I am in the car to drown out the sound.

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but the creaking is not enough of an issue for me to return the device. As for the OP's issues, that is another story. 3rd time a charm?
    09-20-11 09:21 AM
    -not-so-sensitive trackpad (maybe by design since it has a touchscreen?)
    Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity in Options > Typing and Language > Track-pad sensitivity ?
    09-20-11 11:34 AM
    RIM isn't the only company to have issues with this. My buddy is on his 3rd iPhone 4 in only a few months. That's the problem with having products built abroad but fortunately I find with a BlackBerry is that the issues are evident from the beginning. I would much rather it suck out of the gate than have issues in a year when replacing it through my carrier wont happen.
    09-20-11 02:42 PM
    Sad to see your wife actually made the right decision on a device but the actual hardware failed her. I have been on BB since 2006, that is my girlfriend and I. Only real issue we have has was with the S1 (hers) with the screen having a yellow tint. She currently has a Torch touch and loves it, I have the 9930 and love it despite the creaking sounds it makes sometimes on the trackpad. Annoying yes, enough for me to send it back, no. I just grind my teeth or turn up the TV volume or radio if I am in the car to drown out the sound.

Maybe I'm just a simpleton but the creaking is not enough of an issue for me to return the device. As for the OP's issues, that is another story. 3rd time a charm?
    My 9900 had a creak in the trackpad but that has faded over the last few weeks. I applied some good pressure to it and that seemed to worked out the kink.
    09-20-11 02:44 PM
    I finally convinced my wife to drop her iPhone and get a Bold 9930 (by convincing I mean she saw how well it worked and how much better it would suit her). So we order one online and it comes in next day. Its got major issues! The lock button is recessed down into the bezel where you have to use your nail to push it and the buttons next to the trackpad have zero give to them. You have to smash them down hard to get them to press. I told her not to worry as mine is perfect and we will get it replaced.

So we go through the God awful process of sending it back and today she received her new one. This one is worse than the other one. The trackpad is completely screwed in that it is bent badly to the right side. It also barely scrolls when you use it. Also the charging contact has a huge gap in it and it won't charge on the pod that she got with it. It also has gap between the screen and the buttons that causes a major light leak.

Needless sto say she isn't going through the process again of sending it back and I don't blame her. She is sticking with her iphone and RIM just forever lost a new potential customer. I'm all for RIM doing well, but stuff like this really pisses me off. Their quality control is garbage, and customers shouldn't have to send in for 2 or 3 devices just to get one that is built properly.

Don't you think you are being picky!
    09-20-11 02:49 PM
    09-20-11 05:49 PM
    Sorry to hear about your problems but there are also MILLIONS+ out there with no problems at all. . . in reality their quality control is probably pretty damn good. You just seem to have a case of bad luck.. happens to us all
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-20-11 05:53 PM
    i had problems with my first 9930 from vzn. back up assistant would not work, (nor would google sync), sometimes calls would disconnect after 3 or 4 seconds. sometimes the phone would freeze when a call came in.

so i called and vzn sent a new replacement. the row of buttons was jacked up. the phone button was above the screen, while the other side (end button) was below the screen. you had to press hard for the end button to work.

so i sent it back...never activated it. so they sent me another one. exact same problem.

so i still have the original phone and with a software update and my calls are fine. i lost all my contacts as back up assistant still doesn't work.

i agree with the OP. there are quality control issues. it's not a coincidence that i got 2 phones within 2 weeks with an unlevel row of buttons.
    09-20-11 06:19 PM
    Mexico 5 for mine. No issues at all. Had a BB going all the way back to when they were just email devices and never had a quality issue ever. Having to send back a device back multiple times probably happens less than 1% of the time. Sucks when you're the 1% though.
    09-20-11 06:22 PM
    i had problems with my first 9930 from vzn. back up assistant would not work, (nor would google sync), sometimes calls would disconnect after 3 or 4 seconds. sometimes the phone would freeze when a call came in.

so i called and vzn sent a new replacement. the row of buttons was jacked up. the phone button was above the screen, while the other side (end button) was below the screen. you had to press hard for the end button to work.

so i sent it back...never activated it. so they sent me another one. exact same problem.

so i still have the original phone and with a software update and my calls are fine. i lost all my contacts as back up assistant still doesn't work.

i agree with the OP. there are quality control issues. it's not a coincidence that i got 2 phones within 2 weeks with an unlevel row of buttons.
    Why didn't you back your contacts with DM or BlackBerry Protect? The first thing I did when I got my 9930 was uninstall back up assistant. All you need is BB Protect. Not trying to be a j*rk or anything just saying. BB makes it SO easy to backup stuff.
    09-20-11 06:29 PM
    Nogrentain

Good find on the article. It's disapointing that the author lacks mentioning the absence of in-store repairs in the study, but it sure as heII is more accurate then going off memory, single instances, or assumptions. Cheers.
    09-20-11 06:40 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong. But is not most manufacturing outsourced to Celestica for all phones?

It's gone downhill for this reason. Profits ahead of loyal BB owners.
    09-20-11 09:27 PM
    There is a happy ending here. I ended up going in store and finding the perfect 9930. All is well now. On a bad note I had to go through 3 devices before I found one with no defects (2 had terribly bad stuck back and menu buttons by the trackpad, 1 had the big gap between screen and buttons). The Verizon rep told me after I opened the first one and rejected it that they were all like that. I let her hold mine and push the buttons and she agreed there was a major problem with the one she tried to give me and let me compare the ones she was giving me to mine. 4th time was the charm.

So, all is well in Blackberry land. New and happy convert at home. The moral I guess is don't roll the dice online and always go into the store to check the phone out first. Cheers!
    09-20-11 09:52 PM
    I also agree my 9780 is not the most solid piece of harrdware I own, thhe chrome bezel squeaks the screen creaks if you ppush down on any of the corners on the right side huge light leak the track pad is slanted to the right and don't get mee started about thhe keyboard. How ever with RIM it just seems to be the lluck of the draw because my sisters 9780 is perfect.

09-20-11 10:11 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD