I find it annoying that RIM doesnt include what changes were made with these releases.. The differences between .247 .266 or .282.. And why the Asian version has caused more grief than the Rogers. Am i alone in finding this to be annoying?
    07-17-09 11:40 AM
    I don't think RIM sees these as updates. They are mostly the same OS (4.6.0) with minor point changes for a specific carrier to fit that carrier's networks needs. I'm not saying there aren't benefits, however these aren't being pushed out to users. Now, if I was on Rogers and was told to go from 162 to 282, I would want to see a change log. And, there may be one out there.
    07-17-09 11:52 AM
    I think this is actually a good idea because it will let us the users know exactly what the changes are if any and will help us choose an appropraite os version's.
    07-17-09 02:24 PM
    I think this is actually a good idea because it will let us the users know exactly what the changes are if any and will help us choose an appropraite os version's.
    How? Just take the most recent build, 282. About half say it's the greatest build ever, the other half think it's the biggest POS on the planet. And nobody has yet to really explain why it works great for some and works terribly for others. The only real feature additions throughout 4.6 have been the BB Button app launcher and the 2G/3G switcher for AT&T users. I would assume 99.9999% of the users (Me included) would not understand the code changes. The bug fixes are also hit and miss from user to user. Some have always had slow loading pics since 190, some have never had any. danarc, this is not meant as an attack on you in any way. It just doesn't seem like what the community sees as an upgrade is really an upgrade in a consistent way.
    07-17-09 02:39 PM
    hey if it makes my storm better and faster then i dont mind but if it takes something out that i was using then i it does
    07-17-09 02:51 PM
    How? Just take the most recent build, 282. About half say it's the greatest build ever, the other half think it's the biggest POS on the planet. And nobody has yet to really explain why it works great for some and works terribly for others. The only real feature additions throughout 4.6 have been the BB Button app launcher and the 2G/3G switcher for AT&T users. I would assume 99.9999% of the users (Me included) would not understand the code changes. The bug fixes are also hit and miss from user to user. Some have always had slow loading pics since 190, some have never had any. danarc, this is not meant as an attack on you in any way. It just doesn't seem like what the community sees as an upgrade is really an upgrade in a consistent way.
    Right, and every OS works differently depending on who you ask, even if it's the same phone model and same OS, even same carrier. You already know all this, I know, I'm just saying it for everyone else. There are way too many variables here. Way too many dependents. It all depends on things you can't exactly measure, such as exactly how heavy of a user you are compared to someone else, and what apps (and what versions of those apps you are running compared to someone else, etc etc. All of these things change, skew and alter the results of whether or not one persons says "THIS OS IS SUPERB!!" and another says "THIS OS IS THE BIGGEST POS ON THE PLANET!!". That's why threads like the one recently labeled "It's official, .282 is a pile of crap" or whatever the thread is titled, are simply ridiculous and quite frankly, stupid (no offense to whomever created that thread). And none of this conversation will ever stop because this information is not exactly stickied anywhere at all, to my knowledge at least - therefore users are going to continue to comment over and over and make more and more threads about how such-and-such OS sucks, and get into an argument with another user who claims it doesn't suck at all and it is the best they've ever had.
    07-17-09 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD