08-20-09 06:31 AM
35 12
tools
    I have the curve 8900 which I really do like. I find the phone to be amazing in all aspects except for its lack of 3g. However I can't help but notice that other manufacturers are pulling ahead of RIM in terms of hardware. Phones like the samsung Omnia pro and Toshiba TG01 are better in nearly every aspect.

Omnia Pro
    Samsung Omnia Pro Unveiled

Toshiba TG01
    Toshiba TG01 with 4.1-inch WVGA touchscreen: a world's first Snapdragon

1.0 GHz cpu...

I hope RIM catches up and offers us some cutting edge tech. The onyx and driftwood seem great but don't really seem on par with the other next gen stuff.
    08-17-09 06:45 PM
    Keep in mind the Battery life a 1ghz processor would need as well as the WVGA screen of 4.1 inches. That thing will nuke batteries.
    08-17-09 06:50 PM
    Faster processor doesn't automatically mean a better phone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 06:52 PM
    The bold had 600+mhz when a lot of phones were running less, not that it really means anything anyways.

The Omnia Pro runs windows mobile. Running 1ghz on WM isn't quite the same as running 1ghz on other OSes... Not to mention samsung has it's own issues, like it's S60 phones that often have app compatibility and firmware update issues.

Samsung is fairly notorious for not releasing a lot of it's very high end phones with US 3g bands anyways (Omnia HD for example). Why? They don't really feel there's a market for it.

Why exactly does a BB need a 1ghz processor right now though? Got some insanely heavy java apps you plan on running? It wouldn't be anything other than expensive.
    08-17-09 07:04 PM

This is true... but on another retrospect, how many Samsung Omnias do you see people use compared to Blackberrys?
    08-17-09 07:05 PM

I never said that. Take some time to look over the Omnia pros features and software, seems quite impressive.

I will say the first omnia was fairly crappy due to the crappy winMo OS, but apparantly Samsung has put much work into the new Omnia. I guess we'll just have to see.

Also I'm not in anyway complaining about my bb lol, the 8900 does everything I need.
    Last edited by nullpointer; 08-17-09 at 07:09 PM.
    08-17-09 07:07 PM
    1500 mAh battery.
    This is kind of scary based on the hw specs...
    08-17-09 07:08 PM
    Hands on: Toshiba TG01 review | News | TechRadar UK

This is why hardware should not be a primary concern.
    08-17-09 07:13 PM
    the bold has a 1500mAh battery...
    08-17-09 07:13 PM
    the bold has a 1500mAh battery...
    Exactly. The bold isn't running a 4.1" WVGA screen + 1ghz cpu on WM...
    08-17-09 07:14 PM
    Also, I'm not just talking about cpu frequency but other features like the Omnia Pros AMOLED screen, front video camera for conferencing, ability to handle 32gb microsds, etc.
    08-17-09 07:15 PM
    Exactly. If you think the Bold has bad battery life using UMTS, try the device the OP mentioned. Battery life will be half of what the 9000's is.

08-17-09 07:16 PM
    front video camera for conferencing, ability to handle 32gb microsds, etc.
    Front facing camera has already been addressed in an article.
    32gb microsd cards is a software issue, which might matter more once you can actually get a hold of 32gb cards..
    08-17-09 07:17 PM
    Lets not forget WM has a lot more apps that "pull" rather than "push". Your battery life is going to be pathetic.
    08-17-09 07:20 PM
    Not up to par? You are comparing bleeding edge technology here. If you consider those phones you posted as average (look up the definition of par) phone I suggest going back to your local cell phone store and having a look at the selection there and you'll quickly realize the BB models out there are above "par".

When you read cellphone reviews what are the 2 kind of phones are new phones most often compared to? A BB and the iPhone. There is a reason for that.
    Last edited by Shao128; 08-17-09 at 07:27 PM.
    08-17-09 07:22 PM
    The Omnia 2, a similar phone to the Omnia pro with same cpu and screen
    has
    "
    Up to 10 hours (3G) talk time
    Up to 430 hours (3G) standby time"

according to cnet:
    Samsung Omnia 2 (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Not sure how accurate those numbers are, but I think we can expect decent battery life at worst.
    08-17-09 07:22 PM
    The omnia 2 has a 800mhz processor.

Also the reviews say the UI has some performance issues. Either the optimization on their shell on top of WM sucks, or they clocked the CPU down so it doesn't murder the battery.
    08-17-09 07:26 PM
    Yes, the omnia 2 has a 800 mhz cpu, just like the Omnia pro.
    08-17-09 07:31 PM

That is exactly the mindset that RIM has to change. Having "good enough for now" specs will not work. We need specs that push the envelope and set new baselines to work from.

RIM did it before with BB push, Apple did it with the iPhone. MS did it with Xbox and will do it again with Zune HD.

If you don't take a leap and try something new then you grow old and stale in the mobile market.

08-17-09 07:31 PM
    That is exactly the mindset that RIM has to change. Having "good enough for now" specs will not work. We need specs that push the envelope and set new baselines to work from.

RIM did it before with BB push, Apple did it with the iPhone. MS did it with Xbox and will do it again with Zune HD.

If you don't take a leap and try something new then you grow old and stale in the mobile market.

You're talking about new software/OS. What's the point in a 1ghz cpu to run java apps...
    And if you're talking about hw specs "not being up to par", what are the HW specs on the Touch Pro 2 (the current WM standard high end phone) which isn't even released yet?

A re-housed TP1 basically. If you look at overseas phones you can find phones that outdate the current top US phones over a year ago.
    08-17-09 07:33 PM
    Ok, there is more to hardware than just the cpu. Why can't RIM make a curve/bold style phone with a nice OLED screen, 700+ MHz, video conferencing abilities, etc. It wouldn't necessarily destroy the battery life, samsung is able to get acceptable battery life with a bleeding edge device, RIM should be able to as well.
    A faster CPU with more RAM will allow for smoother multitasking and possibly support for 3d apps or more demanding applications. The omnia pro has a 3d accelerator too btw.
    08-17-09 07:38 PM
    The Bold CPU runs at 624 MHz, by todays standards (Par) is that not sufficient?
    08-17-09 07:41 PM
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Pro2 - Specification

Here are the specs for possibly the most anticipated WM device this year. Samsung generally always has higher specs, yet they fall short in other areas.
    08-17-09 07:44 PM
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Pro2 - Specification

Here are the specs for possibly the most anticipated WM device this year. Samsung generally always has higher specs, yet they fall short in other areas.
    What??? A 528 mhz CPU?????
    08-17-09 07:46 PM
    dont really have a good perception on samsung phones. they do great on lcd screens but i doubt they perform as well in mobile phones.have few friends complaining about omnia
    08-17-09 07:56 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD