Went to several stores in downtown Toronto including Bell and Rogers stores in Eaton Centre, Best Buy, Futureshop; and also some of the stores in downtown Vancouver, and none of them had a demo version of the phone to show me. They only had the non-working plastic dummy unit available.

Instead they were all selling / demo-ing the Android phones, which were powered up and in front and centre of the stores.

Another big marketing fail for RIM. These phones could be flying off the shelves.

If you work for RIM's marketing dept, get this fixed ASAP please.
    08-28-11 12:41 AM
    Dude RIM could care less. They are positioning themselves for a sale. They know there's no demos. Its not in their plans to push the 9900. LoL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 12:46 AM
    I went to a Verizon kiosk in Northern California about 5 days ago and they only had a Curve and the 9650 on display. I asked if they had the 9930 and they did, they showed me, it was cool.

Also, a bit of hope for you BlackBerry aficionados; they said that it is selling very well and they have a lot of people asking about it and for it.
    08-28-11 12:48 AM
    I went to Sprint stores the day the 9930 and 9850 went on sale and they had working models of each on display and a bunch of people checking them out. Why blame RIM for a choice made by certain carriers and stores?
    08-28-11 12:52 AM
    Dude RIM could care less. They are positioning themselves for a sale. They know there's no demos. Its not in their plans to push the 9900. LoL.

What are you talking about????

robby001, southlander and timeXway like this.
    08-28-11 12:58 AM
    Ha! Thanks for the laugh lazerus, I've had a long day and needed that.

cooleddie, I've had good luck at a Telus store having a young lad put a battery in both a 9810 and 9900 for me to check out. Just tell them you want to see it work before you decide on a new device. That's not asking much really.
    08-28-11 12:58 AM
    I got in one of the bell stores and i said "I want to buy one of you Torch 9810" the pretty girl went in the back and brought me a new Torch, but before she give it to me she said "Are you shore you want to buy the Torch??...did u see the new Bold??" yes i know all about the new bold, i really want a sequel to my Torch.

Proud to Be a reliable User of the Torch...any point for that ??
    08-28-11 01:08 AM

I would love to see Microsoft buy RIM. Now that Google owns Motorola Mobility, the sky is the limit for Google. RIM is an ISP, hardware manufacturer and a software manufacturer... Remember what the king said in Amadeus? "There's too many notes" well, the king didn't know what the heck he was talking about, and neither do I...but I liked the analogy and all joking aside - if you want to see how RIM should be run, search a guy named derussett on here and read what he has to say about the corporate restructure of RIM --- he's one sharp feller and his posts go great with a cup of coffee and a thinking cap.

Last edited by Mamaluka; 08-28-11 at 01:18 AM.
    08-28-11 01:13 AM
    I would love to see Microsoft buy RIM.
    OMG, Microsoft....
    08-28-11 03:53 AM
    This is not as simple as saying "RIM is failing in marketing this device"

There are a lot of factors, Android has become a huge platform, where at least 2 or 3 new models drop in from different manufacturers every month with better margin for the retailer. So, it is very tough to compete for BB with a slim product line. It is currently stuck in the middle, which is not a very bad thing. It is also easy to push low end devices easily to consumers, who are just getting on the smartphone ladder.
    08-28-11 04:58 AM
    I know android is growing by leaps and bounds, but honestly, that is like comparing Windows to a Apple/Mac back in the 80's and 90's. Android is an operating system. BlackBerry is both a hardware and software all-in-one type deal, much like the iPhone.

Heck, one of the things that makes me dislike developing for android is the simple fact that there are so many hardware manufacturers. If I make an app and it works on everything but the Galaxy S phones I get a ton of down rankings from users of those phones. It isn't my fault that my app works on every other device but Galaxy S's.
    08-29-11 06:33 PM
    Most people know what they want in a Blackberry before they buy and generally purchase them sight unseen. I bought all of mine without trying them, just read the reviews and went by what my cell phone guy (longtime Rogers dealer) told me to get.
    08-29-11 07:21 PM
    I've one better. Days prior the 9930s release with Sprint. I asked for the device and they gladly provided it for my review. I'm with most others here. If you ask, you shall, well if asked nicely, receive. Go forth and ask away!!! LOL...
    08-29-11 07:46 PM

I agree with the OP. I mean yes they can't control carriers and stores fully, but I can't belive they're doing so well with the OS7 devices that they won't even air a TV commercial??

I work in NYC, and several Wall street clients were awed with my 9930. They all had 9700s and one 9000. They had NO clue a new sophisticated BB was out. And most people don't unless they walk into a carrier store....or are on crackberry like us

08-29-11 09:32 PM

I agree with the OP. I mean yes they can't control carriers and stores fully, but I can't belive they're doing so well with the OS7 devices that they won't even air a TV commercial??

I work in NYC, and several Wall street clients were awed with my 9930. They all had 9700s and one 9000. They had NO clue a new sophisticated BB was out. And most people don't unless they walk into a carrier store....or are on crackberry like us

To say that that the 9900 is vastly superior than a 9700 is like saying my new Hanes underwear is vastly superior than my fruit of the loom underwear.

My 9900 does everything my 9700 does. Not much of a jump app-wise.

I can't wow anyone at my Wall Street firm that the 9900 is better than iPads and iPhones.

RIM is losing the corporate Market.

08-29-11 09:50 PM
    Plus, it's not RIM who puts the demo units, its the carrier or shop
    RIM is ultimately responsible for striking the right type of arrangement to ensure it's products are displayed properly. Companies (ones serious about marketing, at least) do this all the time.

There is a reason you see the bright white of iOS blinding you in seemingly every retail establishment nowadays.
    08-29-11 09:54 PM
    Ha! Thanks for the laugh lazerus, I've had a long day and needed that.

cooleddie, I've had good luck at a Telus store having a young lad put a battery in both a 9810 and 9900 for me to check out. Just tell them you want to see it work before you decide on a new device. That's not asking much really.
    i went to verizon here in northern CA and asked if i could see the phone before i bought it to make sure there were no defects and the girl refused to open it up and told me she wasnt allowed to, and that if i wanted to see it i would have to buy it. she then told me if i didnt like it i would have to pay the restock fee to exchange it for a new one.

she also didnt know the first thing about the 9930, or the fact that VZW disabled the NFC.

also there was no display of the phone, no hint they even had it (was also on the 21st, before the 25th "release day" but they had been selling them for a while it seemed, just only to people who knew about them)

they did have a working display unit but it was in the back and i had to ask to see it. when i talked to rep as i was checking it out he kept telling me how RIM is shooting themselves in the foot over and over again and how the playbook was such a fail.

needless to see it seems verizon doesnt care to move units, but those who want it they are happy to price gouge in the process.
    08-29-11 10:09 PM
    To say that that the 9900 is vastly superior than a 9700 is like saying my new Hanes underwear is vastly superior than my fruit of the loom underwear.

I can't wow anyone at my Wall Street firm that the 9900 is better than iPads and iPhones.

For me my 9930 is considerably better and more enjoyable than my competent 9650. My point was most BB owners are not aware of the new OS7 models because there have yet to have a TV or magazine ad. Annoyingly, I see iPhone and Android commercials daily.
    08-29-11 10:45 PM

You know not what you talk about - go back to the underwear market where you came from...

08-30-11 12:25 AM
    They could be. Fruit of the Loom? Really? LoL

Then you do not do much with your 9700. So you really had no reason to go out and buy one for a day or two.

You aren't supposed to. If you want to make a fashion statement, then buy a gold and jewel encrusted Android or iphone. RIM is terribly sorry that you couldn't razzle and dazzle the rustics at your firm

Possibly, though to hear it from the forums, there would not be any users left who used BlackBerries. I suspect you are parroting what you have heard elsewhere. How many mobile phone users in North America? Ballpark it? Overseas they are gaining almost 1,975,000 users/month. I don't think that is what they are losing here. You can't say RIM is losing the Corporate market when, (as a BB user yourself), you know full well, they have also been trying (quite clumsily) to gain ground with the 'social' crowd(s) (read younger gen)
    Last edited by Oniberry; 08-30-11 at 03:21 AM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    08-30-11 03:19 AM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The new Bold 9900 is amazing!! ... i have travelled all over Europe and Asia on business with it and it has worked flawlessly everywhere ... Its best in class, IMO .... can't put it down!
    08-30-11 05:08 AM
    These devices are not meant to catch the mass appeal, and RIM and the carriers are not going to waste the marketing dollars treating them as if they were.

They exist to satisfy the traditional/business/diehard BB users and to prevent RIM from being a total embarrassment not having anything recent on carrier shelves (and to keep those places on the shelves) until the QNX powered phones arrive early next year. For people like us they are a nice upgrade, but to the carriers and any mass market appeal they are transitional/placeholder devices.

That's not to say this is the bookend for the traditional Blackberry. Kevin seems to think (as stated in a recent Mobile Nations podcast I think it was) that RIM will make both traditional BB's AND the newer QNX ones for 18 months to 2 years before retiring the traditional BB OS completely; And I tend to agree. They want to satisfy the masses but at the same time don't want to cut off the hand that feeds them and despite all the press and popular opinion to the contrary RIM IS growing in it's sales even with these "obsolete" devices, so clearly the market still exists.

My story is when I wanted to actually see one of these phones before buying one the local corporate store didn't have theirs displayed yet but the mall kiosk (also corporate) did, and yesterday when I was in the same store helping my friend look at new phones (this was a week later) the corporate store STILL didn't have it displayed but the sales rep sure recognized it in the pouch in my belt LOL.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 08-31-11 at 12:50 AM.
    08-30-11 07:43 PM

And this won't happen until QNX everyone knows this. But to be far, from an iphone 4 to 5 I am guessing won't be a huge change. The 9900 is a much better device than the 9700 in most people's opinion I would guess....... So yes your 9900 does everything you 9700 does. I bet the ip5 does everything the ip4 does
    08-30-11 07:48 PM

You must be smoking some very potent crack!
    08-30-11 09:30 PM
    some of you are on da crack. it is not rim, it is the carriers that market.
    08-30-11 10:48 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD