Hey guys,

After about 5 months of using my 9700 Bold, the white keyboard membrane/pressure pad located underneath the 9700's keyboard has undergone wearing. The "e" key of the membrane is flat and the "e" doesn't respond very well anymore. The membrane seems like it's been glued tight to the PCB. I'd really like to change it, but I'm not sure this is possible. Could someone tell me if replacement is possible?

I have checked forums, websites and youtube but haven't found a method yet. Would really appreciate your input.

Thanks guys

Related problems:
    Re: Letter "B" key unresponsive on 9700 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=239489
    Last edited by vassakul; 07-16-10 at 10:53 PM.
    07-16-10 02:39 PM
    Hey guys,

After about 5 months of using my 9700 Bold, the white keyboard membrane/pressure pad located underneath the 9700's keyboard has undergone wearing. The "e" key of the membrane is flat and the "e" doesn't respond very well anymore. The membrane seems like it's been glued tight to the PCB. I'd really like to change it, but I'm not sure this is possible. Could someone tell me if replacement is possible?

I have checked forums, websites and youtube but haven't found a method yet. Would really appreciate your input.

Thanks guys

Related problems:
    Re: Letter "B" key unresponsive on 9700 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=239489
    Have you tried ordering a new keyboard, I had this issue and I replaced the keyboard first and sure enough it worked. I had this issue with the letter P.. I bought one from sw-box and it worked fine.
    07-20-10 09:28 AM
    its not the keyboard thats the issue... under the keyboard there is a white membrane that has half metal circles under each key, so when depressed it hits the circuit board and ya...

well to the OP, i have never seen this part for sale anywhere... i would saw either try and find a dead BB that is useless and maybe salvage the part of that, or do a warranty exchange on the BB with you carrier...
    07-20-10 07:16 PM
    07-26-10 01:54 AM
    hello guys,

i have the same issue as vassakul and in the same exact letter... it is definitely the membrane that is not working properly... i bought a spare membrane from ebay today i am wondering if its easy to replace it... has anyone done this before?
    07-27-10 09:19 PM
    Ya done it, easy to replace. Just make sure it is lined up correctly.
    07-28-10 10:11 PM
    I had to replace my membrane on my 9000bold, and let me tell you this, you better order more than one at a time. I had to reposition the first membrane because I couldn't align it perfectly, and after a few times of repositioning, I had to use a fresh new membrane.

Even then, sometimes when I press for example the "r" button once, it inputs "rrrr" instead of just "r." I'm waiting for more membranes to arrive in the mail so that I can give it another try. Right now, some buttons need to be pressed a few times to type, and some will type 5 times in a row randomly. If I press the space bar, sometimes the cursor moves forward 3 spaces and I have to press delete a few times to move back and delete the period that automatically inputs. My question is, WHY do they use such a fragile membrane? People that type alot (for sms and emails) wear out their membranes in half a year. If the phone plan is on contract for 2 years, this becomes a problem.
    08-19-10 07:38 PM
    how do you get the old membrane off?
    09-01-10 05:39 AM
    thats a very good question flexsingh.....how does the keyboard membrane come off? i have a a Bold 9700 where a few keys doesnt work, I've taken the 9700 apart and actually seen the membrane flat on those particular keys so i know for sure thats wut the problem is.....i'm also waiting for the new membrane to come in the mail as well.
    09-01-10 10:29 PM
    The question of the day. I was looking at the membranes online, wondering which part of the keyboard makes the "clicking" sound. The piece attached to the backside of the removable keyboard, or the white piece attached to the main board. Been looking into this for a few days now, in preparation for possible repairs in the near future. Besides, I have an old trackball version of the 9000 and I want to rebuild it.

**EDIT** Ok, so it looks like its the piece attached to the main board. Is it glued, screwed, or soldered to the board?
    Last edited by bad_boy321; 09-06-10 at 08:15 PM.
    09-06-10 08:11 PM
    The 'I' key doesn't click, but still works. I'll have to pay $40 to get it fixed. Worth it as I don't like doing it myself on this bold 9700 lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 11:57 PM
    The 'I' key doesn't click, but still works. I'll have to pay $40 to get it fixed. Worth it as I don't like doing it myself on this bold 9700 lol

Why don't you order a $15 replacement keypad to see if that fixes your problem before you spend $40 on whatever you planned on having done to it?

09-07-10 01:26 AM
    The PCB sticker is just glued on. You have to take a sharp edge to a corner to peel it off, SLOWLY! Or else you might damage your mainboard.

It is NOT a $40 part to order and it is not brain surgery. The keypad has NOTHING to do with this issue. Just take one look at your hardware Jordy, you'll see what we all mean. The membrane (PCB) is what gives it the click.

EDIT: the pcb board costs less than $5.
    Last edited by absolute00matt; 10-05-10 at 04:37 PM.
    10-05-10 04:34 PM
    The PCB sticker is just glued on. You have to take a sharp edge to a corner to peel it off, SLOWLY! Or else you might damage your mainboard.

It is NOT a $40 part to order and it is not brain surgery. The keypad has NOTHING to do with this issue. Just take one look at your hardware Jordy, you'll see what we all mean. The membrane (PCB) is what gives it the click.
    GOT IT! Okay, now I know what to do the next time I bring it into the shop, Nuvi Wireless, to get the PCB replaced. I'll even tell them it needs to be replaced because it's the only fragile part that 'clicks'

The amount of misleading replies is insane, you out of all, made the most sense!

PS. I'm putting that inside my sig now as so others won't miss it.

10-05-10 04:36 PM
    i brought my phone with me in the shower and this isnt the first time i did so.. once i got out of the shower and checked my phone i unlocked it and i barely touched any buttons and it would go crazy ... how do i fix this problem? PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP .. i looked on the internet and found that i might have to clean the keys and dismantle my phone? i dont want to ship it away to get fixed because i know how much of a hassel and time it takes to fix ...

ANY SUGGESTIONS????
    03-31-11 12:43 PM
    You were actually showering with your phone? Or did you just bring it into the bathroom while you were showering?

The moisture from the steam may have gotten into your phone and is causing it to go crazy.
    04-01-11 05:15 PM
    This has happened to me before, except it's the letter "G" for me. What you should not replace is the whole keypad membrane. I repeat, do NOT replace the whole white sticker part. Why? Because it'll mess up the whole letters and you'll end up with double/triple letters typing. This is because the aftermarket keypad membrane metal circle isn't as good enough as the one that came originally attached to PCB keypad.

What you need to do is disassemble your handheld up to the point where you bare the white sticker and remove it using pinset very slowly because you're going to use it again..

Now after it has been removed, notice which letter (metal circle) that has gone flat/not clicky. Remember when you face the metal circle from bottom it becomes mirrored. In this case, "e" should be the third metal circle from the right side on top row. Use that pinset and slowly pick up the metal circle. Afterward you need to replace that missing spot with new metal circle that you could find on any salvaged cell phone's keypad membrane. Remember to position it correctly right just as it was before.

Clean your exposed PCB membrane with eraser to remove any sticky residue prior sticking the old keypad membrane back. Then put back they keypad and try typing the "e" and see how it is. Oh yeah, you can do this whole thing while the phone is still on. Assemble everything back if's fixed. If not, rinse and repeat the process.

Hope this helps.
    04-01-11 10:20 PM
    yes it is possible to replace the membrane as I have recently done it to my blackberry it is pretty simple, all you need to do it get a hair dryer and just slightly warm the membrane to loosen the adhesive and the slow and carefully peel off the membrane.
    to put the membrane back on just start with making sure the first sides contacts line up with the pcb and just carefully stick down insuring no air pockets are left underneath as that could cause it to not function properly
    04-05-13 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD